wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February Banter

Vol Man

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny to compare Stove's PBP to the SE disco thread; the guys there are claiming a SE shift. I don't have it pulled up, but the Euro must show an absolute bomb. It's pleasing literally everyone, lol.

How does 13 inches at TRI, 8 TYS, and 7 CHA sound?  Looks like 5 on John, North AL big win (not sure if all snow or other frozen), 3 around Nashviile, 4.6 highland rim, 3 upper cumberland...

In the words of Keith Jackson, "Whoa, Nelly!" Can't wait for nut to see this.

How does 13 inches at TRI, 8 TYS, and 7 CHA sound?  Looks like 5 on John, North AL big win (not sure if all snow or other frozen), 3 around Nashviile, 4.6 highland rim, 3 upper cumberland...

Good Googly Moogly! I know it's a sin to hug a single model run...but can we just call it good at this point? :snowing:

Not to shift the focus from our area, but I really feel for those in Central Georgia and South Carolina. Most major models have honed in on an area of severe ice accumulation, upwards of 2" with 2.5" in some spots. Granted, this is likely overdone, but even half that much ice is frightening. The potential aggravating factor is 20 mph wind with 30+ mph gusts across the ice areas. Unreal.

As nut alluded to earlier, 6-8" of wet snow will cause power outages across the Tri-Cities. 12"+ nearly guarantees widespread tree damage and power outages. Taking the Euro verbatim, I see a four-day weekend looming.

Not to shift the focus from our area, but I really feel for those in Central Georgia and South Carolina. Most major models have honed in on an area of severe ice accumulation, upwards of 2" with 2.5" in some spots. Granted, this is likely overdone, but even half that much ice is frightening. The potential aggravating factor is 20 mph wind with 30+ mph gusts across the ice areas. Unreal.

As nut alluded to earlier, 6-8" of wet snow will cause power outages across the Tri-Cities. 12"+ nearly guarantees widespread tree damage and power outages. Taking the Euro verbatim, I see a four-day weekend looming.

That's a fact, Blue Ridge. Talk about widespread destruction in the Central Georgia/SC area. I talked to two friends who live in the Atlanta area (one in Marietta and another in Alpharetta) tonight. Both teach high school and their respective systems have already shut down until Thursday. If they receive half of what is forecast for them, I don't see them returning to school until Monday. I hope everyone who wants it gets a good thump of winter weather...as long as everyone is safe!

Thanks to all for the great disco in the Storm Thread today/tonight (and over the last few days) folks! Great job everyone! It's very much appreciated. Calling it a night but will be back checking the boards when I'm up for work in about 4 hours.

Blue Ridge, it is horrible to even read about that much ice. The descriptions from people who have seen ice storms before scare me. I can't imagine. The longest I've been without power was a perfectly fine weather day in West Knoxville about four or five years ago and it was six hours. I thought I'd go crazy, so I can't even imagine what days would be like.

I've always fared worse in snow events than ice events. I was powerless for 3 days in the December 1998 ice storm. Powerless for a week after the 16 inch wet snow in February 1998. Powerless for 5 days after 7 inches of heavy, wet snow in 2003.  Powerless for 3 days in the 2009 heavy, wet snow event. Powerless for a week in the Blizzard of 1993. Powerless for 2 days after a major t-storm in July 1993. 

The nights without power are amazingly dark. If your local powerlines have pine trees close, look out in the wet snow events. I am all too experienced with this.

Knoxville made it in the 8" line?

John, you have me worried about a big wet snow on the power lines now. I don't even have batteries for my radio which I think I'll correct tomorrow. My condo is surrounded by trees, including limbs that hang right over my bedroom and my skylights.

My mom's condo in Monroe County has the same problem, but huge trees just behind her. Not long after she died, they had those straight line winds/mini tornado down there that knocked a big limb though her window and into her living room. We got the window fixed but still have the insurance money to get painting done.

Could it be that bad from snow? In '93, I didn't even lose power. I'm really close to Turkey Creek and that's a major business area in Knoxville, so I'd say they'd work fast to get it back up. I hope anyway.

No updated discussion yet from Memphis, Nashville, or MRX. I'm trying to wait up for those. I've been reading about trees falling over after an ice storm is over and you think you're fine to go outside and walk around. That's just terrifying. This storm is a major deal even though I'm happy to hopefully get snow. I just wish it was snow for everyone.

Guys, what is the difference in the SREF and the Euro to come up with such big differences in the amounts for the Knoxville area? I've been researching it, but most of the real research is behind a pay wall. Does it usually just split the difference in actuality?

- I moved this from the storm thread. That's a pretty big spread on those maps. One mean at 2" and the Euro map at up to 8".

Knoxville made it in the 8" line?

John, you have me worried about a big wet snow on the power lines now. I don't even have batteries for my radio which I think I'll correct tomorrow. My condo is surrounded by trees, including limbs that hang right over my bedroom and my skylights.

My mom's condo in Monroe County has the same problem, but huge trees just behind her. Not long after she died, they had those straight line winds/mini tornado down there that knocked a big limb though her window and into her living room. We got the window fixed but still have the insurance money to get painting done.

Could it be that bad from snow? In '93, I didn't even lose power. I'm really close to Turkey Creek and that's a major business area in Knoxville, so I'd say they'd work fast to get it back up. I hope anyway.

If you're close to Turkey Creek I doubt you'll be out of power more than a few hours, if it does go off. I live in a bit more...rural setting. There are miles of power lines here that are well away from easy access. Fortunately the electric department is pretty good these days at cutting the power line right of ways.

If you're close to Turkey Creek I doubt you'll be out of power more than a few hours, if it does go off. I live in a bit more...rural setting. There are miles of power lines here that are well away from easy access. Fortunately the electric department is pretty good these days at cutting the power line right of ways.

Just saw this, John. That makes me feel better. My electric company is from Lenoir City, not KUB and they seem to do really well in outages. I'm working up the nerve for a bunch of back surgery (why I'm working at home right now) and I truly think I'd die without my heating pad.

The roomba decided to start up at 3am, lol, so I have been awake watching the snow fall. There's maybe 1/2 to one inch on the ground in the HSV area, more to the south and east. There's some ice beneath the snow in places. Many roads are closed, schools are closed. 

Looks like the Tennesse folks will see some snow, so that's good news! 

Just wanted to thank everybody for your help today, and thanks for the patience with me.

Thanks for being a member and posting in our forum. We ALWAYS need good members and diversity (geographically speaking). You will bring a LOT to our forum. How are you making out this morning? I hope you see some snow out of this dual event.

Archived