joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

Vol Man

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting concerned already here in north GA that we're not going to get as much as they predicted because of the mixing issues right now.  Reporting a mix of sleet and light snow.  Looking at the radar, looks like most of the precip is south and east of us unless a lot redevelops west of us later today/tonight.

I'm getting concerned already here in north GA that we're not going to get as much as they predicted because of the mixing issues right now. Reporting a mix of sleet and light snow. Looking at the radar, looks like most of the precip is south and east of us unless a lot redevelops west of us later today/tonight.

Haven't really looked at it from the Georgia perspective. I would guess you get the full mixed bag...but a major event. The actual storm for the TN Valley really gets cranking as the low deepens early this afternoon. Would include north Georgia as well I would think...and also including now. I would be hoping like heck that does not go to freezing rain. Good luck and be safe.

Carvers :)

DISCUSSION...EXTENDED EXPIRATION TIMES IN WINTER STORM WARNING INTO THURSDAY AFTERNOON. LOW TRACK HUGGING COASTLINE THURSDAY WITH NEGATIVELY TILTING UPPER TROUGH OVER SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS KEEPS SNOWFALL GOING A FEW HOURS LONGER ACROSS EASTERN AND MAINLY NE AREAS ON THURSDAY. RAISED SNOWFALL AMOUNTS SLIGHTLY FOR ADDITIONAL THURSDAY SNOW. ADJUSTED SNOW AMOUNTS UPWARD TODAY ACROSS SOUTHERN AREAS THIS AFTERNOON.

You know I'm desperate when I resort to Yahoo Answers for a Dewpoint question from years ago. Is there a combination of temps+dewpoint that a novice can look at and still feel safe with snow? It makes me nervous to see MRX say a steady 31 when it's already 35. Dewpoint is 21.

Just do a google search on Wetbulb temps calculator. Still correlates to a 31 degree temp if the airmass is precipitated into.

BamaChem, I was reading the Area Forecast Discussion for Middle TN and they said in the southern counties, close to you, it may mix a little first, but they expect the precip to cool the temps enough to still change over to snow.

I would think at this stage of the juncture that the ground will be too saturated for much accumulation because it has been raining here since last night.

I would think at this stage of the juncture that the ground will be too saturated for much accumulation because it has been raining here since last night.

Check out the RAP map I posted in the storm discussion.  The RAP brings the comma head of the low as far south as northern Alabama.  Daytime totals, as Mr Bob correctly alluded to, would be eaten into by mixing and rain.  I think tonight/late evening is when things could get really get going.  As MRX stated, have to be patient for this thing to develop....But it is frustrating at times.

Mr. Bob, is "Actual station pressure (Psta) ="  Barometer from my zone forecast page? If not, I'll look for another calculator.

Thank you!

The first one that popped up was not so complex; just temperature and RH...not as perfectly accurate but good enough for this use....

Archived