joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

Vol Man

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reb and I saw an absolutely incredible sight at the entrance to the national park.  Flakes the size of half dollars falling very heavily.  We think 2 inch per hour rates.  Got pics and vids I'll post soon.  We high-tailed it outta there once the roads starting getting covered.

Now pouring moderate/heavy snow in west knoxville with dime/nickle flakes with a light dusting on the ground.  I could not be happier with all of this.  Blown away actually.

Why are people in Western NC freaking out that the storm is too far east for them? Phil the Met says the system that is/was coming through Kansas will join up with the southern system and that's when it will pour. They have me worried now.

edit: MRX Met on the radio in Knoxville just said 4-6 in Knoxville.

I know I shouldn't, but I'm grinding my teeth watching this never ending dry crack that stretches from me about 100 miles downstream for me. I can literally see heavy snow falling a few miles away back towards Scott County.

I hear ya; HSV has been in a warm nose all day, however we finally switched to heavy snow about 30 minutes ago, and now it's coming down like gangbusters. Hang in there, it will happen. 

Wagner it's about to get real in East Brainerd! Big old slug of confirmed all snow coming up out of Georgia. Everybody on the forum remember to look up from the radar and savor the view out the window - I mean really enjoy this. Heck, go out and play in it! It has been a long long wait and this rarely happens over so much real estate in our region.

Listening to Disney's Frozen soundtrack with my toddler and she is mesmerized by the snow just like all of us. Do you wanna build a snowman? We plan to! My lyrics: For the first time in forever, we'll have magic well have snow. For the first time in forever, East Tennessee's a go. I know it all ends tomorrow, but at least we have today. For the first time in forever, it's all our chance to dance.

Soak it all up to the very last flake y'all! :ski:

I'm doing pretty well now, steady 25-30 dbz sitting over me. The dry crack has now filled, now it should snow for the next 12-18 hours for us, maybe even 5-6 more hours the further east you are. Just hope you get under some of those 40dbz bands and you'll pile up 2 inches or more per hour.

Asheville had some near 50dbz returns a bit ago. They are reporting heavy snow and 24.

If we can get into the 20s, we'll make the most of our qpf. I'm at 30, it helps a lot with the ratio not being 33-35.

Saw MRX's snow total map on FB...Know this, Kingsport had 6-7" before the snow compacted overnight.  I recorded 6" of snow at 11:45.  3-4" is erroneous.  Storm report sent.  Let's see what pops up. 

Update:  Sent them a message.  MRX says the map was generated from local reports.  Kingsport and Gate City both have 7" snow totals listed.  I don't know.  The person who does the page seems like a good person, so I am done complaining.  I did speak to some folks who had 5".  Nobody has 3-4 on any side of town - not that Kingsport is very big. 

I don't see that....I see the LSR had a report of 7" for Kingsport around 1 AM.

Was on a map Morristown put on FB.  They did a great job.  But folks in our area have much more than 3-4".  Said it was from storm reports but I can see a 7" report from KPT and Gate City.  Not a huge deal...edit: posted an expanded pic for SE TN totals.

post-769-0-11616000-1392300948_thumb.jpg

Archived