• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter

Vol Man

Appreciate many of you staying up and posting through the overnight runs...it is easier to come on here and catch up than go through the normal routine!

As for DT...he focuses on his area and is a little more than sloppy on the southeastern edges of his map. I would not take it at face value for our area.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate many of you staying up and posting through the overnight runs...it is easier to come on here and catch up than go through the normal routine!

As for DT...he focuses on his area and is a little more than sloppy on the southeastern edges of his map. I would not take it at face value for our area.

It was fun, but I'm paying for it this morning.

I posted DT's map in banter for that very reason.

Just curious, typically how long do power outages and roads stay covered if this is a  (hypothetically) huge event (6-12")? It seems that plowing roads would become difficult the higher the snow amount gets. Getting kind of nervous thinking about a worst case snow scenario for the tri cities (looking at you, Euro).

Just curious, typically how long do power outages and roads stay covered if this is a (hypothetically) huge event (6-12")? It seems that plowing roads would become difficult the higher the snow amount gets. Getting kind of nervous thinking about a worst case snow scenario for the tri cities (looking at you, Euro).

Back in 1998, Johnson City Had a 24+ inch snowfall that knocked out power to virtually the entire city. Roads were okay within a couple of days, the power was out for between one and two weeks for a lot of people. I don't think this is that type of event, but there would be some power outages if we had 6-8 inches of snow

Back in 1998, Johnson City Had a 24+ inch snowfall that knocked out power to virtually the entire city. Roads were okay within a couple of days, the power was out for between one and two weeks for a lot of people. I don't think this is that type of event, but there would be some power outages if we had 6-8 inches of snow

Thanks for the information! The biggest snow I have witnessed (as an adult) was the snow of 2009 here in Johnson City so that's all I really had to go by. It wasn't too bad for me (no power outages) luckily.  I remember the Blizzard of 93' when I was a kid, but obviously I did not pay any attention to the damage.

WCYB at noon is going with 1-3 for the Tri-Cities and they showed the FutureCast model. Does anyone know what short range model that is based off of?

WJHL is going with 1-3 Wednesday evening with an additional 1-3 during the night.

Tri-Cities mets historically hug the GFS/NAM or their silly in-house suites. Some, I imagine, don't even look at the international models.

Tri-Cities mets historically hug the GFS/NAM or their silly in-house suites. Some, I imagine, don't even look at the international models

I agree.  Little surprised at WCYB with this one.  Maybe they know something we don't know, but they're bordering on negligence if we get what many of the models have consistently predicted.

It is tough to be a met in this crowd! MRX and all the TV guys get hammered up and down! I can only imagine what would happen to Jeff and me if our stuff was public and we did not post....

I realize everyone wants to the Euro to be correct but it is a possibility the GFS/NAM suite could be somewhat correct too. We won't know until verification time... I think MRX has played this very well. I don't follow any of the locals but so far, no one is wrong yet.

Dave Dierks does a really good job most of the time. No one is perfect obviously.  He is often more precise with his wording and interpretations of what might happen.  I have seen him go against the grain many times (away from a heavier snow) and be right.  He has a lot of experience and I am confident he looks at all the models.  What is more amazing to me is that we are within 24 hours of start time and we STILL don't have model consensus.

It is tough to be a met in this crowd! MRX and all the TV guys get hammered up and down! I can only imagine what would happen to Jeff and me if our stuff was public and we did not post....

MRX is a dead horse at this point, and I am as guilty as anyone for holding the stick. I have the utmost respect for the difficulties forecasters face; it is regretful that I find it so easy to participate in armchair quarterbacking. East TN rags on MRX just as the majority of GA rags on FFC, etc. By no means is it right. Constructive criticism is one thing; bashing is another. I am guilty of both.

As for TV mets, Nut hit the nail on the head wrt Dave Dierks. He has been solid for a long, long time. Mark Reynolds is fairly accurate, but he never seems interested in explaining his rationale. His station in particular has pimped VIPIR for so long it feels like that's all I see. That's really where my criticism lies. Amazing the nit-picking one does when sleep-deprived.

I've been walking around in that "late night Euro" haze all day.  Couldn't sleep much from the excitement haha.  Finally got a nap in, wake up to a friggin Warning!  Shiz is gettin real!

We need to soak all of this up and enjoy it, knowing how weather has been the past 15 years or so, it could be another decade before we see this much excitement, at least in my area.

MRX is a dead horse at this point, and I am as guilty as anyone for holding the stick. I have the utmost respect for the difficulties forecasters face; it is regretful that I find it so easy to participate in armchair quarterbacking. East TN rags on MRX just as the majority of GA rags on FFC, etc. By no means is it right. Constructive criticism is one thing; bashing is another. I am guilty of both.

As for TV mets, Nut hit the nail on the head wrt Dave Dierks. He has been solid for a long, long time. Mark Reynolds is fairly accurate, but he never seems interested in explaining his rationale. His station in particular has pimped VIPIR for so long it feels like that's all I see. That's really where my criticism lies. Amazing the nit-picking one does when sleep-deprived.

MRX has had it tough as nails this year, they've been right most of the time but a few swings and misses both ways. I can't blame them, it's been pretty chaotic this year trying to forecast East Tennessee. Which is tough anyway with all the small scale climates in the area.

Archived