• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

Have you taken a look at any of the Hi-Res guidance? Noticed they all have the 0*C 850 mb line approximately 50 miles further South than NAM/GFS/EURO. I wonder if this is a result of Hi-Res guidance producing more adiabatic cooling during the period of greatest lift.

Being right on the edge of the 850 0C line I am hoping the precip rates will keep it all/mostly snow. 

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you taken a look at any of the Hi-Res guidance? Noticed they all have the 0*C 850 mb line approximately 50 miles further South than NAM/GFS/EURO. I wonder if this is a result of Hi-Res guidance producing more adiabatic cooling during the period of greatest lift.

I hadn't yet but will check that out today. But I was banking on the dynamic cooling from the intense vv's in preventing much of a mixing threat up this way even in the warmer model runs. Would think that it have to be +1C in the warm layer around 850 to go to sleet, even between something like 0.5 or 0.7c would have a decent shot to stay all snow during the time of greatest lift.

Glad to see the NAM come south a bit... Just about all models now have the 32 line right over top or just a hair south of Howell.

It's going to be a good 4-6 inches here, but probably .10 to .25 ZR/Sleet.

Its going to be an interesting day tomorrow and thankfully I'm off and will be in full monitor mode from my home. 

I have seen these systems end up as all snow too. If that happened, it could be a big F---ing deal.

Glad to see the NAM come south a bit... Just about all models now have the 32 line right over top or just a hair south of Howell.

It's going to be a good 4-6 inches here, but probably .10 to .25 ZR/Sleet.

Its going to be an interesting day tomorrow and thankfully I'm off and will be in full monitor mode from my home. 

I have seen these systems end up as all snow too. If that happened, it could be a big F---ing deal.

These kind of systems tend to surprise a lot of people in the Hills of SEMI. It would not surprise me to see a swap of very heavy amounts a line from the Irish Hills to Romeo. If the models don't trend more north. Where its at now now Howell to mby is a 7-10" event. 

Been a long time since i've had a nice heavy cement snow...even longer since i've had one that falls on top of a respectable existing snowpack.

Able to check off a lot of storm types for our backyard this winter....if this pans out the way it looks...about all that is left is the elusive big dog :whistle:

But yes, it will be nice to be able to have confidence in my hourly measurements for about only the second time this winter...

Here is a quick map I threw together showing the NW extent of the 0*C line. It will be really interesting to see how this pans out. 

Typically the warm air advection overperforms, but with a weak surface reflection, and no closed low at 700, will the UVV win out? 

I would guess the Northern extent of the snow/mix line will probably be near the Euro (blue line).

post-8696-0-01215500-1391181333_thumb.jp

Iced over roads and salt washed away.

Hadn't really thought of that. Not saying the NAM will be right, but 33F and rain is just cruel. Thankfully temperatures have moderated the last couple of days so hopefully ground/road temperatures won't be as much of issue had it been -10 yesterday.

Hadn't really thought of that. Not saying the NAM will be right, but 33F and rain is just cruel. Thankfully temperatures have moderated the last couple of days so hopefully ground/road temperatures won't be as much of issue had it been -10 yesterday.

Well for what it's worth the day before the the big rainstorm on 1/10 and huge icing problem in parts of northern Illinois, the high was 25 at RFD. So it did start moderating, though the low that morning was -13. I think it's a concern for your area despite the moderation the past 2 days since it hit -13 a few mornings ago and -1 the next morning. After what happened on 1/10, I can say that was definitely discussed at the office yesterday as a big concern in our southern areas.

I hadn't yet but will check that out today. But I was banking on the dynamic cooling from the intense vv's in preventing much of a mixing threat up this way even in the warmer model runs. Would think that it have to be +1C in the warm layer around 850 to go to sleet, even between something like 0.5 or 0.7c would have a decent shot to stay all snow during the time of greatest lift.

I guess the main concern would be if the WAA is underdone as has happened countless times.  It's going to be an interesting battle...will the heavier precip rates keep it as snow in areas that are borderline.

Archived