• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

12z NAM is farther south and a bit colder through 15z Saturday. 1000-850 critical thickness is south of I-80 and 850-700 critical thickness is along I-80.

Sent from my SCH-I535

It still ended up NW/warmer.

It just gets there with a somewhat sharper left turn a little later (flirting with dry slotting issues here now), which happens at an ideal time for Chicago's benefit. 

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z NAM is farther south and a bit colder through 15z Saturday. 1000-850 critical thickness is south of I-80 and 850-700 critical thickness is along I-80.

Sent from my SCH-I535

That makes me feel better after running through the bufkit profiles from 6z.

Even though LL temps got to around -1 at their warmest, snow totals were painted between 8 and 12".  Talk about heart attack snow.  :yikes:

Not really.

It just show a somewhat sharper left turn a little later on (flirting with dry slotting issues here now), which happens at an ideal time for Chicago's benefit.

Yeah, I misspoke a bit on farther south track, it was more so a bit colder than the previous run during the heaviest rates over northern IL, which is important to quell mixing concerns in most of the Chicago area. A sounding along I-80 and I-55 near JOT toes the 0 line at 18z at 850 but easily would support all snow due to good vv's at that time and is colder than that at 15z.

That makes me feel better after running through the bufkit profiles from 6z.

Even though LL temps got to around -1 at their warmest, snow totals were painted between 8 and 12". Talk about heart attack snow. :yikes:

Even with the 6z NAM I wasn't all that concerned for north of I-80 areas. Hopefully the 12z GFS keeps the sleet/ice threat out of the metro too. Our southern counties are a different story though.

Even with the 6z NAM I wasn't all that concerned for north of I-80 areas. Hopefully the 12z GFS keeps the sleet/ice threat out of the metro too. Our southern counties are a different story though.

I wasn't too concerned up here either, just anything cooler to help make the snow less wet and heavy.

Meh. It looks to be a bit weaker, but it still ultimately gets to the thumb region like on the 06z run. At best, it probably led to merely cosmetic improvements for those riding the border right now. 

To me, it looks more like Pt. Huron than the thumb on the 12z. But I won't split hairs. The bleeding's been stopped and for those of us on the line that's important.

Have you taken a look at any of the Hi-Res guidance? Noticed they all have the 0*C 850 mb line approximately 50 miles further South than NAM/GFS/EURO. I wonder if this is a result of Hi-Res guidance producing more adiabatic cooling during the period of greatest lift.

Have you taken a look at any of the Hi-Res guidance? Noticed they all have the 0*C 850 mb line approximately 50 miles further South than NAM/GFS/EURO. I wonder if this is a result of Hi-Res guidance producing more adiabatic cooling during the period of greatest lift.

They've been slowly trending towards the model consensus with time. 

The 06z NMM and ARW for example are closer to what the other guidance depicts now. 

Archived