joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 3rd Wave Train Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4km NAM really gets the banding going saturday afternoon. Has 5-7" in total GTA wide with up to a foot along the oak ridges and across grey/bruce county.

attachicon.gifhires_ref_toronto_40.png

6z WRF-NAM obviously is concerning but now even the RGEM has backed off an has seems to take a more modest sfc low right over us rather than through Lk Huron. I'll make a call and say the 12z NAM backs off.

I think the ticks north are done...if anything there might be ticks south from this point forward IMO

I'd agree. Tendency will be for the northern stream s/w that's forecasted to scoop down into the Lakes to shunt the the string of PVA associated with the southern stream storm further S/E than what the NAM is showing, and yield a somewhat less wrapped up sfc low.

Of course I thought this whole thing would end up being suppressed 5 days ago, so I have a history of being wrong.

any reason or just a hunch. I think we have more n. shifts coming, especially with the defo placement.

Sorry...more so just a hunch...I don't have quite the level of analysis that most of you have, but I have been watching nearly every model run for the good part of 10 years ( :axe:  ).  It is just something that I have noticed over those years with these types of setups...gradual north trend H48 to H18 then small ticks south.  My concern with this has far less to do with what snowfalls IMBY and more to do with who ends up seeing more ice south of the current projected snow swath.

EDIT:  and yeah, I guess I should also add that I have been doing pretty horribly on this event as well....so it wouldn't shock me for that trend to continue until this system is long gone lol

Looks like 45-50 at least here tomorrow!  Going to feel good, but also going to be the end of any snow on the ground here.. :frostymelt:

Back to reality. It was a lot of fun while it lasted though. 

And final call for LAF, for the heck of it: T of something wintry, 0.85" rainfall, 45º for a high tomorrow. Spring!

Back to reality. It was a lot of fun while it lasted though. 

And final call for LAF, for the heck of it: T of something wintry, 0.85" rainfall, 45º for a high tomorrow. Spring!

Yep, the fun is over!  As I said yesterday, snow shield for Central Indiana is back in effect! :drunk::lol:

Looks like Chicago is going to have dumptrucks of snow by this time next week. 

Sorry...more so just a hunch...I don't have quite the level of analysis that most of you have, but I have been watching nearly every model run for the good part of 10 years ( :axe:  ).  It is just something that I have noticed over those years with these types of setups...gradual north trend H48 to H18 then small ticks south.  My concern with this has far less to do with what snowfalls IMBY and more to do with who ends up seeing more ice south of the current projected snow swath.

EDIT:  and yeah, I guess I should also add that I have been doing pretty horribly on this event as well....so it wouldn't shock me for that trend to continue until this system is long gone lol

cool, hunches are fine...I was just curious. Ride your call :)

The only thing that bothers me is the 850 low, this, doesn't say snowstorm to me. I know we've seen snow this year with unconventional looking 850 lows but i'll never like it. (I'm sure we'll see the RAP bring 850s above 0 to like Geos or something silly like that)

I'm also totally unsure what to make of the WAA snows starting late this evening...guidance has been all over the map and anywhere from DAB to 3" before daybreak wouldn't surprise me. The main show looks pretty potent so a good 3-4 hours of decent rates looks like a lock.

For the record i'm riding the 4.something call I made for MBY a while back...don't think WAA snows amount to much and the defo will rip but be short lived.

cool, hunches are fine...I was just curious. Ride your call :)

The only thing that bothers me is the 850 low, this, doesn't say snowstorm to me. I know we've seen snow this year with unconventional looking 850 lows but i'll never like it. (I'm sure we'll see the RAP bring 850s above 0 to like Geos or something silly like that)

I'm also totally unsure what to make of the WAA snows starting late this evening...guidance has been all over the map and anywhere from DAB to 3" before daybreak wouldn't surprise me. The main show looks pretty potent so a good 3-4 hours of decent rates looks like a lock.

For the record i'm riding the 4.something call I made for MBY a while back...don't think WAA snows amount to much and the defo will rip but be short lived.

good summation Alek ... your concerns make complete sense to me....just don't ask me to explain it to a classroom full of future mets...

yeah, I have seen many models completely whiff on the WAA snows...guess we'll see if the 12Z guidance stamps out any new trends or stomps on any old trends

Archived