Isopycnic

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pine Ridge Area:

12-4-10

3 in from clipper that was only supposted to give a dusting

12-25-10

5 in when the night before was forecasted to be a dusting if that (BEST SNOW)

1-10-11

3 in

I believe there may be a suprise in March

Total so far 11 in

Not as good as last years 32 in yet but in a winter that was forecasted ro be a blow torch i;ll take it.

On A side note feel we are seeing the beginning of a pattern for our future winters for the next 25 years.

12/4 - 1.5" Snow (High Point, NC)

12/12 - Flurries (High Point, NC)

12/16 - 0.5" Snow, Glaze of Freezing Rain (Raleigh, NC)

12/18 - Flurries (High Point, NC)

12/25-12/26 - 7.0" Snow (High Point, NC)

1/3 - Flurries (Westminister, UK)

1/6 - Rain/Snow Mix (Greenwich, UK)

1/8 - Dusting of Sleet/Snow (High Point, NC)

1/10-1/11 - 0.25" Sleet, 0.2" Freezing Rain (Raleigh, NC)

2/3-2/4 - Trace of sleet (Raleigh, NC)

2/10 - 0.25" Snow (Raleigh, NC)

Total: 9.50" Sleet/Snow, 0.2" Freezing Rain

4 inches with the christmas storm

9 to 10 inches with the jan storm. Although I measured 10 inches in several flat spots, local reports made me think it might have been closer to 9. On top of that, there was enough drifting to make me call into question my measurements so I give myself a 1 inch margin of error.

2.5 to 3 inches with this last one. Measured late, after 9am, and there was 2.5 inches. I believe it was closer to 3 inches since some had already started to melt by then. But will include 2.5 since that is what I actually measured at the time.

So that gives me a total of anywhere from 15.5 to 17 inches for the year. :popcorn::snowman:

4 inches with the christmas storm

9 to 10 inches with the jan storm. Although I measured 10 inches in several flat spots, local reports made me think it might have been closer to 9. On top of that, there was enough drifting to make me call into question my measurements so I give myself a 1 inch margin of error.

2.5 to 3 inches with this last one. Measured late, after 9am, and there was 2.5 inches. I believe it was closer to 3 inches since some had already started to melt by then. But will include 2.5 since that is what I actually measured at the time.

So that gives me a total of anywhere from 15.5 to 17 inches for the year. :popcorn::snowman:

:lol::thumbsup: You have just as much (if not more) snow as the Mid Atlantic this season :snowman:

Absent a longterm climate change to colder (which I actually do believe may be occurring due to weakest sunspot cycles in perhaps ~200 years in combo with colder Pacific, soon to be cooling Atlantic, and increased volcanic activity), the string of the last three winters snowfallwise at KATL may not be repeated for a long time. Just how special was the winter of 2010-11 snowwise at KATL? That was the first winter with measurable snow in all three of DJF since 1963-4! Before 1963-4, one has to go all of the way back to 1935-6 for the prior one! Since 1930, there have been only those three winters with measurable S/IP in each of DJF at KATL. Even during the golden years of 1890-1907, only three of those winters had measurable S/IP in each of DJF.

Even more impressive regarding 2010-11 is that each of DJF had 1"+ of S/IP! During the period 1929-1930 through 2009-10 and looking at 1890-1907, there were ZERO DJF's with 1"+ of S/IP in all three months! In addition, based on my research of 1908-1929 as well as 1879-1889, I have not been able to find any DJF with 1"+ of S/IP suggested for all three months. Based on all of this, it is quite likely that 2010-11 was the first DJF in KATL recorded history (1879+) with 1"+ of S/IP in all three months!

Absent a longterm climate change to colder (which I actually do believe may be occurring due to weakest sunspot cycles in perhaps ~200 years in combo with colder Pacific, soon to be cooling Atlantic, and increased volcanic activity), the string of the last three winters snowfallwise at KATL may not be repeated for a long time. Just how special was the winter of 2010-11 snowwise at KATL? That was the first winter with measurable snow in all three of DJF since 1963-4! Before 1963-4, one has to go all of the way back to 1935-6 for the prior one! Since 1930, there have been only those three winters with measurable S/IP in each of DJF at KATL. Even during the golden years of 1890-1907, only three of those winters had measurable S/IP in each of DJF.

Even more impressive regarding 2010-11 is that each of DJF had 1"+ of S/IP! During the period 1929-1930 through 2009-10 and looking at 1890-1907, there were ZERO DJF's with 1"+ of S/IP in all three months! In addition, based on my research of 1908-1929 as well as 1879-1889, I have not been able to find any DJF with 1"+ of S/IP suggested for all three months. Based on all of this, it is quite likely that 2010-11 was the first DJF in KATL recorded history (1879+) with 1"+ of S/IP in all three months!

That is impressive! But, like you, I think this may be the start of some great winters to come. If we can just get Laki or I f yet la erkle (sp...I'm not up on my Icelandish) to pop again, and this weeks solar fun is just an abberation, I'm down with a Little Ice Age :) My personal criteria is if I get 5 straight years with ip/sn/z. Have I ever seen 5 straight years with frozen precip.? I think I'd remember that happening, if I had. But you always know best, lol. If I've seen 5, then 6 will be my proof! I know I've never seen 6 straight years with measurable frozen. T

That is impressive! But, like you, I think this may be the start of some great winters to come. If we can just get Laki or I f yet la erkle (sp...I'm not up on my Icelandish) to pop again, and this weeks solar fun is just an abberation, I'm down with a Little Ice Age :) My personal criteria is if I get 5 straight years with ip/sn/z. Have I ever seen 5 straight years with frozen precip.? I think I'd remember that happening, if I had. But you always know best, lol. If I've seen 5, then 6 will be my proof! I know I've never seen 6 straight years with measurable frozen. T

Tony,

I think that a better critrerion for KATL would be the # of winters in a row of 1"+ of S/IP rather than just the # of years in a row of measurable S/IP. Here's why. KATL has just had five winters in a row with measurable S/IP and four in a row of 1"+. KATL had a whopping 18 winters in a row of measurable S/IP 1981-2 through 1998-9, the longest stretch I could find since 1929-30 by far. So, five winters in a row, though notable, is not all that great an accomplishment. However, the longest stretch of 1"+ since 1929-30 as well as for the winters 1895-1896 through 1906-7 was only four winters. These occurred during three periods: 1981-2 through 1984-5, 1990-1 through 1993-4, and the aforementioned 2007-8 through 2010-11. Now, there were five winters in a row of 1"+ way back during the period 1890-1 through 1894-5. So, getting to five winters in a row of 1"+ would be a big accomplishment since that is likely the record longest streak going back to 1879 at ATL. Therefore, IF KATL can get 1"+ during the next winter, it would tie the apparent record longest streak of five. IF we were to accomplish that, then we could look forward to the chance to establish an apparent new record long 1"+ streak of six during the winter of 2012-13! If that occurs and if we were to continue to have cold winters through then as well as a continued weak solar cycle vs. past ones, then my suspicion that we're into a new colder climate cycle would increase further.

Tony,

I think that a better critrerion for KATL would be the # of winters in a row of 1"+ of S/IP rather than just the # of years in a row of measurable S/IP. Here's why. KATL has just had five winters in a row with measurable S/IP and four in a row of 1"+. KATL had a whopping 18 winters in a row of measurable S/IP 1981-2 through 1998-9, the longest stretch I could find since 1929-30 by far. So, five winters in a row, though notable, is not all that great an accomplishment. However, the longest stretch of 1"+ since 1929-30 as well as for the winters 1895-1896 through 1906-7 was only four winters. These occurred during three periods: 1981-2 through 1984-5, 1990-1 through 1993-4, and the aforementioned 2007-8 through 2010-11. Now, there were five winters in a row of 1"+ way back during the period 1890-1 through 1894-5. So, getting to five winters in a row of 1"+ would be a big accomplishment since that is likely the record longest streak going back to 1879 at ATL. Therefore, IF KATL can get 1"+ during the next winter, it would tie the apparent record longest streak of five. IF we were to accomplish that, then we could look forward to the chance to establish an apparent new record long 1"+ streak of six during the winter of 2012-13! If that occurs and if we were to continue to have cold winters through then as well as a continued weak solar cycle vs. past ones, then my suspicion that we're into a new colder climate cycle would increase further.

Well, I am, as usual, completely amazed and bewildered by your climo reportings. I have apparently lost some large number of sections of 18 years of my life :) Unless, when you say "measurable" you mean as little as two sleet pellets in the bottom of the guage. I mean at least a quarter/half on most everything when I say measurable. So, yeah, I can see the airport seeing a few pellets, or flurries each year for 18, but it you can't stick a ruler in it in over 30 spots in the yard, I can't count that, lol. When I first came to Eastern I had two episodes of maybe a quarter/half inch on most everything that winter. I was counting that as most years it seems like I only get two sleet pellets and a flurry. But after reading your excellent reporting of what I actually saw, it seems I'm always getting snow/ip/z, and I'm in the twilight zone when it falls 'cause I either don't see it, or don't remember it, or it is too slight for me to count, lol. And I don't know how to include the devil zrain. A quarter inch of that has way more impact than 6 inches of melty snow, so if we get one of those next year, I'll count it..'cause there is no way I want to see an inch.

Thanks for this wonderful info. It will take me a while to digest it, and bemoan my lost years :) T

• 1 month later...

Probably my final update of the year to this...

3/28 - Slushy Dusting (High Point, NC)

Probably my final update of the year to this...

3/28 - Slushy Dusting (High Point, NC)

what a Winter for a good chunk of the Southeast in general. I know a few sections might have fallen less than climo, maybe northeast TN and east. Ky, but for many it was above normal, thanks namely to the incredible blocking. If the long term swings back to the strong NAO regime in the perfectly timed months of Dec through Feb, like I suspect its doing, then we're all entering a new climo time for snow. Its hard to prove, since records only go back to the late 1800's, but there are cycles within cycles and who's to say that we won't soon be seeing something that even our grandparents don't recall. Our human ancestry is a blip in time, so I think the possibility is fascinating, and very real, that we might end up seeing mega Winter storms in the Southeast over a chunk of the next 25 to 30 years. Not all will be, theres always going to be the really warm and dry one I think. But the NAO 30 year cycle is a proven thing and theres a lot to it.

Here is what I got...Totals in Wilkes vary in elevation a little bit. I do not receive up-slope besides flurries and usually hit hard by clippers.

Snow event totals:

2.7 Clipper (12-5-10)

7.0 Christmas Snow

ice event totals:

Equals 14.7inches of snow. Western Wilkes received a little more than I did but eastern Wilkes received much less than I did. Slightly above average but half of what I had last year.

Here is what I got...Totals in Wilkes vary in elevation a little bit. I do not receive up-slope besides flurries and usually hit hard by clippers.

Snow event totals:

2.7 Clipper (12-5-10)

7.0 Christmas Snow

ice event totals:

Equals 14.7inches of snow. Western Wilkes received a little more than I did but eastern Wilkes received much less than I did. Slightly above average but half of what I had last year.

the traditional El Nino track favored your area last year, while bringing mainly rain just to your south. This year was supressed..many times the systems barely could venture into NC, much less northwest foothills of NC , so its perfectly explainable. Your area will do well in a Nino season so long as the temps aren't out of control. I am thinking that the next neutral to slight nino will be broader brushed bigger events, including your area, and that may be next Winter.

the traditional El Nino track favored your area last year, while bringing mainly rain just to your south. This year was supressed..many times the systems barely could venture into NC, much less northwest foothills of NC , so its perfectly explainable. Your area will do well in a Nino season so long as the temps aren't out of control. I am thinking that the next neutral to slight nino will be broader brushed bigger events, including your area, and that may be next Winter.

I sure hope so! I am new here but I have been reading your posts when I discovered this website back around Christmas. Always enjoy your input. :snowman:

Archived