• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Down to the wire and models are saying wtf? 12/19-20 event

weathafella

I normally use base, for some reason I was on composite tonight. USUALLY the differences are minor, how is the composite showing a band of heavy precip where there is none? I've seen it off by a few miles before, but that's nuts? Some of the BR tilts show the same thing....is it literally that it's virga, or that it's phantom echoes

I'm between 10 and 11, that's all I'm comfortable saying as I don't play it by the book in terms of I cleared once all day. If someone nearby reported 9 wonderful I'm not going to argue.

the composite image is a mosaic of the entire column that the radar sees - so basically all the scans the radar has available...and then the highest reflection value in that scan. so it's not uncommon at all to see it *way* over-estimating ground truth (not that BR .5 doesn't "lie").

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the composite image is a mosaic of the entire column that the radar sees - so basically all the scans the radar has available...and then the highest reflection value in that scan. so it's not uncommon at all to see it *way* over-estimating ground truth (not that BR .5 doesn't "lie").

Yeah I'm not sure if people understand the algorithm for that. That's why it always seems to look "worse" than actuality.

SAGAMORE 10.0 1020 PM 12/20 TRAINED SPOTTER

PLYMOUTH 7.0 1016 PM 12/20 2 FOOT DRIFTS

SANDWICH 9.0 1026 PM 12/20 TRAINED SPOTTER

None of those are particularly close (don't know where the plymouth one was taken but I'm guessing mid to north PYM)

I'd say 10" is the safest play. It may have been more if I'd cleared as the first 1/3 of the storm had some water to it but I'm done.

If someone nearby reported 11 or a little over I'd believe it.

Yeah I'm not sure if people understand the algorithm for that. That's why it always seems to look "worse" than actuality.

what sucks is when you accidentally click on it when a t-storm cell is approaching and it looks 100x worse than reality....then you realize it's a crappy 45dbz shower covering 1/10th of the area you thought. :lol:

Conservatively I would go with a total of 12" for Harwich, MA right now, but would not be surprised for a final of 13 or 13.5" of snow.

Band two should be here around or after 2am if models are correct and the drier low level air does not impede the snowfall. Nothing right now. Storm looks just about stalled east of CHH, could be a potential push west in the short term on water vapor imagery. Hopefully the WED event is still going to happen. I know once you have snow, you want more, I am glad I have what I have, if this morning had played out throughout this evening, I would have screamed, I just say imagine if that band had stalled about 20 miles further west. Oh well 11-13" of snow is nothing to sneeze at and I am quite greatful. Good night everyone.

check this out....how awesome is it? I'm not sure I've ever seen a dry hole like that in the middle of a winter storm.

http://www.rap.ucar....e=-1&duration=5

WOWWW screen saver....white hurricane?

anyhow What a BAND>......thing got re-energized and dropped 3/4 inch in 25 minutes....NOPE that's for real.

there was even a couple yellow speks on radar as it crossed....

We'll pick up another 2-4 Wed. I'm on the train. Also I maintain we're not done. We'll likely pick up the GOM stuff towards morning which was what both NAM/GFS were trying to advertise. We're not done by a long shot. And just when it all exits, we're within 3 days of the weekend event and hopefully that holds together.

We'll pick up another 2-4 Wed. I'm on the train. Also I maintain we're not done. We'll likely pick up the GOM stuff towards morning which was what both NAM/GFS were trying to advertise. We're not done by a long shot. And just when it all exits, we're within 3 days of the weekend event and hopefully that holds together.

Yeah..the usually conservative GFS gives a couple inches to ENE Wednesday. I'd go 1-3" for now.

The rapid refresh (HRRR) is showing a punch of dry air at H85 moving in from the NE that is cutting off the precip on the back side of that band. That's why the composite and base radars are off so much and we're getting some 30dbZ vriga. It's probably helping to explain some of the forcing too.

rh_t3850_f03.png

Well that expains why I was calling home saying "look out side look outside, i'm sure it is snowing" and all I got back was "no its not"

Archived