amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The constant comparisons to the 96 storm, PD storms and others is a bit much. Having lived through those, it's somewhat crazy to make those kinds of comparisons 8 or 9 days out.

PDII didn't even look like all that much until about 48 hours out. It was just a massive overrunning of moisture into super cold air. I don't remember very much wind although I believe it did qualify as a blizzard

I dont think we will ever see another 96.

If I recall PDII, I only got 17" in that one.

After the 36" in 96, it was 27" in the 12/26/10 storm. I remember a couple other that were up there also in recent years. Maybe we should talk about the past storms in another thread though, not sure they belong here

march 2001 was progged bigger than pd 2 for the philly to nyc corridor?

At 2 days or more out it was...PDII sort of snuck up on us, it was forecast poorly by the models much like 2/11/94...it was a similar event and the split flow was giving the models problems, the 12Z ETA on Saturday AM or Friday AM (I cannot remember which but either way 24 or 48 hours before) showed a mostly rain event for a large part of the area...was not til the 18Z runs Sat afternoon models really started catching onto it.

At 2 days or more out it was...PDII sort of snuck up on us, it was forecast poorly by the models much like 2/11/94...it was a similar event and the split flow was giving the models problems, the 12Z ETA on Saturday AM or Friday AM (I cannot remember which but either way 24 or 48 hours before) showed a mostly rain event for a large part of the area...was not til the 18Z runs Sat afternoon models really started catching onto it.

I don't recall any models showing rain for PDII (or were you referring to 2001?). I remember the gfs suppressing the storm until a day or so before

I don't recall any models showing rain for PDII (or were you referring to 2001?). I remember the gfs suppressing the storm until a day or so before

I don't recall what the GFS did at all, suppression is very possible since I know guidance was just all over the place but I do know the ETA had one run with rain.

I dont think we will ever see another 96.

If I recall PDII, I only got 17" in that one.

After the 36" in 96, it was 27" in the 12/26/10 storm. I remember a couple other that were up there also in recent years. Maybe we should talk about the past storms in another thread though, not sure they belong here

We will get another one. Just might take time. Feb 6 2010.... easily would have match it.... 27" DC area, 30-35" BWI area, then 28-30" in PHL area.... Had it hit NYC-BOS, there we go.

Once to week 3 , We get our first sign of the pattern ending , the Euro ensembles and the CFSV2  stick the warmth right into the NE  for a week, week 4 we may cool, then once in late FEB  to the start of March POOF  . Pattern totally  breaks

Week 1 looks like a classic East Coast torch with that SE ridge and -PNA. Doesn't bode well for the 2/8 storm. 

Nah that's at 5k feet  2 Meter temps are cold . See the Dam over the top ( NEG WPO ) . All of our air is from over the pole .

Once to week 3 , We get our first sign of the pattern ending , the Euro ensembles and the CFSV2  stick the warmth right into the NE  for a week, week 4 we may cool, then once in late FEB  to the start of March POOF  . Pattern totally  breaks

I don't think too many of us will be upset if an early Spring materializes after this winter.

can you please put into words all the delicious things this map may entail? I would like to see it in writing :)  :weenie:[/quote

High than normal heights across the pac thru Alaska over the pole ensure you're source region is arctic not polar Pacific. 2 different air masses. Arctic air is low level cold air that translates to colder 2 m temps. U can see the pac jet cutting underneath with higher than normal heights over Greenland which promotes blocking. With a deep trough in Europe you should see a deeper trough into the east than modeled 15 days out. As it is its Coast to coast cold .

Doesn't mean it's snowy but nothing cuts in that pattern

If there's a ridge than the baroclinic zone that sets up looks to me is over the Mason Dixon line.

The Map ,that was attached to the above comments were taken down , I understand why , so I will keep these maps to a minimum , What that day 15 map showed was a deep trough in Europe and a nice high connected height field from the Pacific over the poles but a spread out trough that leaned back towards the west coast with more of a flatter look as it headed east . You would have thought by looking at it ,that temps appeared on the normal side . The reason I show you the new day 10 which is now deeper in the northeast , is because when looking at this mornings day 15 500 mb map , you will see a deep trough near Alaska , but don't worry it retrograded there keeping the high heights intact and still  delivers  arctic air into the CONUS ,  nothing changed . It also keeps the  deep trough in Europe So once again , you will see a deeper trough into the east in day 15 , and should prob show up in 5 days from now .

The map below , is the new day 10 - for the period I outlined on the 26th .eps_z500a_noram_41.png

The Euro /GEFS/JMA seem to be coming around to the idea of a +EPO for week 2.

Normally, this isn't something that you really to see for us. But it looks like the +EPO

may try to pump the ridge over toward the Davis Strait which would mean colder

temps returning to the Northeast with more troughing. This potential development

will be something to watch as we get closer for snow possibilities.

http://fox12weather.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/500za_week2_bg_na6.png

The Euro /GEFS/JMA seem to be coming around to the idea of a +EPO for week 2.

Normally, this isn't something that you really to see for us. But it looks like the +EPO

may try to pump the ridge over toward the Davis Strait which would mean colder

temps returning to the Northeast with more troughing. This potential development

will be something to watch as we get closer for snow possibilities.

http://fox12weather.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/500za_week2_bg_na6.png

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_3.png

attachicon.gifY201401.D3012.png

But check out how NEG the WPO  gets  it will keep the heights  intact so our main source region of air is arctic .

Archived