• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

This looks as good as can be seven days ahead for an area wide 12-18 inch snowfall. Looks like an 80 percent chance of locking in. Spot 20 inch amounts....... I bet we are already seeing the final outcome that this event takes already. The most snow scenarios will happen at all times this winter.

Take a Valium and stop wish casting already. 80% chance lol.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haven't seen one of those in years, so I will hold my excitement for now. Those multiwave or even just overrunning transfer events where it is cold enough can be really cool -- it snows for a long time with great ratios. But there is still so much variance at such an extended range like this. Hard to get too excited.

It has been a while. 1-6-94 to 2-11-94 was one of my favorite examples where we had numerous overruning

events with the bulk of the blocking back near Alaska to the pole like we are seeing in the forecast next week.

The key was weaker waves combined with the -EPO building strong Arctic highs keeping the low level

cold in place.

It has been a while. 1-6-94 to 2-11-94 was one of my favorite examples where we had numerous overruning

events with the bulk of the blocking back near Alaska to the pole like we are seeing in the forecast next week.

94.gif

f180.gif

Really nice analog find. I think much of this set up is going to come down to the amplitude and timing of the polar vortex and associated energy over Central Canada. The newer model runs which are showing the snowy scenarios have the PV lobe swinging southward at a favorable time to push the big ejecting shortwave southeastward and force secondary development along the baroclinic zone. The older runs had this same lobe a little more delayed, so not only was there less cold air available but the SE Ridge was able to amp up as well.

The good sign is that most guidance seems to agree on the same major players being on the field. This can be a great overrunning set up for our area with lots of moisture if it is timed well. I don't buy the Euro trapping the shortwave back in the Baja, either. But we need the PV timing to be correct as mentioned above in this set up I think. Without any blocking we are relying on that to keep this from taking a warmer track.

The 06Z GFS has a MECS for next Tuesday to Wednesday. Never seen consistency like this before, even though the solution is slightly different on this run Vs. the 00Z GFS.

You haven't been doing this very long then. We've seen modeled consistency like this at this far extended range and more often than not, end up with nothing.

Really nice analog find. I think much of this set up is going to come down to the amplitude and timing of the polar vortex and associated energy over Central Canada. The newer model runs which are showing the snowy scenarios have the PV lobe swinging southward at a favorable time to push the big ejecting shortwave southeastward and force secondary development along the baroclinic zone. The older runs had this same lobe a little more delayed, so not only was there less cold air available but the SE Ridge was able to amp up as well.

The good sign is that most guidance seems to agree on the same major players being on the field. This can be a great overrunning set up for our area with lots of moisture if it is timed well. I don't buy the Euro trapping the shortwave back in the Baja, either. But we need the PV timing to be correct as mentioned above in this set up I think. Without any blocking we are relying on that to keep this from taking a warmer track.

Sure. The beauty of this pattern when it works out in our favor is we can get the heavy precip without a wound up

storm flooding the area with warmth due to the lack of good Atlantic blocking. But the key is keeping the systems

less amplified so they don't cut.

You haven't been doing this very long then. We've seen modeled consistency like this at this far extended range and more often than not, end up with nothing.

Isn't the storm Wed/Thurs? (referring to the post you responded to...). And, agreed. It's not uncommon and thinking like that will often lead to a major letdown... Let's hope this is not one of those occurrences.

What did the euro show? Someone said south and suppressed while another said good event nw of city?

Also I wouldn't fall asleep on the Monday wave....

Dude I said is was suppressed and then we talked about monday and I said it was a nice little event NW of the city per the Euro

Since we're inside of a week now I thought it would be a good time to separate the threat for the middle of next week into its own thread. Should be less confusing now considering we have multiple threats over the next few weeks.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42619-february-4th-6th-over-running-and-possible-coastal-threat/

The Euro ensembles are consistent with a snowstorm signal and that is the best possible sign, by far, in this time range. So the fact that we are now seeing the GFS come on board (and the DGEX for kicks) is very encouraging.

I am almost certain the medium range guidance will struggle with this storm tremendously. But here's a really cool image as the DGEX ends up with more than 1.00" liquid as snow for the area:

f180.gif

That's great to see since the previous 18z DGEX run had us torching big time with rain.

Day 10 Canadian , Euro ensembles say its not 1 and done , this is what `s coming  behind the Day 7 system 

cmc_pr6_slp_t850_east_41.png

I would gladly take a cutter with the mid week system if we can get a beauty with that system. the weekend system holds more promise in my opinion but we will see. I remember someone saying to me yesterday that 96' had a cutter before the blizzard, I wonder who it was :whistle:

I would gladly take a cutter with the mid week system if we can get a beauty with that system. the weekend system holds more promise in my opinion but we will see. I remember someone saying to me yesterday that 96' had a cutter before the blizzard, I wonder who it was :whistle:

2 in a row are possible 

but better to take 1 at a time 

This looks as good as can be seven days ahead for an area wide 12-18 inch snowfall. Looks like an 80 percent chance of locking in. Spot 20 inch amounts....... I bet we are already seeing the final outcome that this event takes already. The most snow scenarios will happen at all times this winter.

You should be a motivational speaker (if you're not already)

Ill take climo for 2000$ and say we see solid snow in February based on the way the winter has been going as we'll.

Archived