Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice call George!  Someone at work this morning asked me what I thought we would get for snow...16" was my rectal pluck! (now lets hope I don't look the fool, or more than the usual amount...).

18Z NAM again going full bathsalts with qpf.  If only it was real.

Noone here at work believing the forecast given today's mildness. I showed them the updated map and just stupified looks...frankly, I share them. Hard to believe...

Nice call George!  Someone at work this morning asked me what I thought we would get for snow...16" was my rectal pluck! (now lets hope I don't look the fool, or more than the usual amount...).

18Z NAM again going full bathsalts with qpf.  If only it was real.

Noone here at work believing the forecast given today's mildness. I showed them the updated map and just stupified looks...frankly, I share them. Hard to believe...

My boss is literally crying....She hates winter....so she's been hatin' for awhile!!!

ON WEDNESDAY...THINGS WILL DRAMATICALLY TURN FOR THE WORSE AS THE

DAY PROGRESSES AS THE RAPIDLY STRENGTHENING LOW PASSES BY TO OUR

SOUTH. VERY IMPRESSIVE DYNAMICS WILL WORK ACROSS OUR AREA IN

CONJUNCTION WITH THE PASSAGE OF THE LOW...WITH A STRONG SHOT OF WARM

AIR ADVECTION FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY AN EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE LOW-MID

LEVEL DEFORMATION ZONE...AND BOTH OF THESE OVERLAID BY A PRONOUNCED

COUPLED UPPER LEVEL JET STRUCTURE AND ATTENDANT ZONE OF STRONGLY

DIFFLUENT FLOW ALOFT. WITH PLENTIFUL MOISTURE ALSO IN PLACE AND

ADDITIONAL OROGRAPHIC AND LAKE ENHANCEMENT ALSO COMING INTO PLAY

DURING THE AFTERNOON...THIS WILL ADD UP TO A WIDESPREAD HEAVY

SNOWFALL AREAWIDE...WITH THE WORST OF THE SNOW GENERALLY COMING

BETWEEN THE LATER MORNING AND AFTERNOON HOURS. EXPECT SNOWFALL

AMOUNTS ON WEDNESDAY TO GENERALLY RANGE FROM 6-11 INCHES...WITH THE

LOWEST ACCUMS NEAR THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY AND ALONG THE NY/PA

LINE...AND THE HIGHEST OVERALL AMOUNTS COMING IN AREAS OF FAVORED

OROGRAPHIC AND LAKE ENHANCEMENT SOUTH OF LAKE ONTARIO. CLOSER TO THE

NEW YORK-PENNSYLVANIA BORDER...A WINTRY MIX TO START THE DAY WILL

ALSO LIKELY RESULT IN A TENTH OR TWO OF ICE ACCUMULATION...BEFORE

CONTINUED LOW LEVEL COLD AIR ADVECTION DRIVES A CHANGEOVER TO ALL

SNOW BY LATE MORNING/MIDDAY.

AS IF ALL OF THE ABOVE WERE NOT ENOUGH...THE STRENGTHENING PRESSURE

GRADIENT AROUND THE LOW WILL RESULT IN INCREASING NORTHEASTERLY TO

NORTHERLY WINDS THROUGH THE DAY...WITH THE WINDS LIKELY PEAKING

DURING THE TIME OF THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

CURRENT PROJECTIONS SUGGEST THAT SUSTAINED WINDS WILL INCREASE TO

20-30 MPH ACROSS THE ENTIRE AREA DURING THIS TIME FRAME...WHICH WILL

RESULT IN CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND WHITEOUT

CONDITIONS AT TIMES...WHICH WILL MAKE TRAVEL EXTREMELY DIFFICULT...

ESPECIALLY FOR THE WEDNESDAY EVENING COMMUTE. THE WORST CONDITIONS

OF ALL WILL LIKELY BE ALONG THE NIAGARA-OSWEGO COUNTY CORRIDOR WHERE

THE WINDS WILL BE ENHANCED FURTHER BY LAKE ONTARIO...AND COULD WELL

REACH 25-35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AS HIGH AS 45 MPH...WHICH IF REALIZED

WOULD RESULT IN NEAR-TO-OUTRIGHT BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN THIS STRIP

OF COUNTIES...INCLUDING THE GREATER ROCHESTER AREA. GIVEN THIS

POTENTIAL...WE TOYED WITH UPGRADING THESE COUNTIES TO A BLIZZARD

WARNING THIS AFTERNOON...BUT ELECTED TO HOLD OFF ON THIS FOR NOW

GIVEN THE SLIGHT SOUTHWARD SHIFT SEEN IN THE 12Z GUIDANCE...WHICH IF

IT WERE TO CONTINUE WOULD RESULT IN LOWER WIND SPEEDS AND A

SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER THREAT FOR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. THIS STATED...

SUBSEQUENT SHIFTS WILL NEED TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THIS POTENTIAL...

AS AN UPGRADE MAY STILL EVENTUALLY BECOME NECESSARY DEPENDENT UPON

FURTHER POSSIBLE SHIFTS IN THE STORM TRACK...HOWEVER SLIGHT THESE

MAY BE. STAY TUNED!

OTHERWISE...EXPECT FALLING TEMPS THROUGH THE DAY WEDNESDAY UNDER

STRENGTHENING COLD AIR ADVECTION...WITH READINGS FALLING INTO THE

TEENS BY LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...AND WIND CHILLS FALLING TO NEAR

ZERO. NEEDLESS TO SAY...ALL OF THIS WILL MAKE THIS AFTERNOON/S

RATHER MILD HIGH TEMPS SEEM LIKE A VERY DISTANT MEMORY...AND WILL

MAKE AN ALREADY MISERABLE DAY SEEM EVEN WORSE.

-- End Disscussion

Here's my #smartass answer: cuz its the 18Z GFS? ;)

Hope so! I am thinking widespread 12 to 18 from rt. 20 north. We shall see. Excited to see what school districts decide. Expecting many to close early and may have many closed on Thursday. Not that I need another day off! Not sure if the big one can do an early dismissal.

Hope so! I am thinking widespread 12 to 18 from rt. 20 north. We shall see. Excited to see what school districts decide. Expecting many to close early and may have many closed on Thursday. Not that I need another day off! Not sure if the big one can do an early dismissal.

Many schools in the Rochester area have already pre-emptively closed for tomorrow, which I think is a very smart decision.  It's always a disaster when they try to send the kids home early.  I think things should be pretty cleared up by Thursday AM though.

ARW came way south at 12z, Ithaca gets 1.2" QPF of snow instead of 0.1" at 0z. UKMET went south as well.

Yea, the fact the 4km WRF guidance is significantly further south is interesting because since they are convective permitting models they won't have the adverse effects of convective feedback that often occurs in highly dynamic situations. We are dealing with significant convection that will likely develop over the next few hours over MO and points eastward, so watching to see how the global model guidance performs relative to reality.

So far they are a little behind convective initiation in MO (by around 2 hours or so)... Things are just firing right now.

Yea, the fact the 4km WRF guidance is significantly further south is interesting because since they are convective permitting models they won't have the adverse effects of convective feedback that often occurs in highly dynamic situations. We are dealing with significant convection that will likely develop over the next few hours over MO and points eastward, so watching to see how the global model guidance performs relative to reality.

So far they are a little behind convective initiation in MO (by around 2 hours or so)... Things are just firing right now.

It will be interesting to see how intense this convection can get and whether it can drag the surface low south (shudder)...

The midwest looks like a powder keg on radar, I'm just waiting for the whole thing to fill in before our eyes in the next few hours..  The area around NW missouri has some interesting returns right now. 

post-912-0-76021300-1394580651_thumb.gif

Anyway, this storm is going to be so damn fun to watch.  I've been dreaming of storm tracks like this since the early 90's.

One thing I've noticed is that SFC dewpoints across pretty much all of MO were overforecasted between 2-5 degrees F. This probably explains for the late convective initiation since it would have required more dynamical lifting to reach parcels to the to a higher LCL. It also has implications on how much convection develops tonight, with a less expansive convective shield favoring a weaker surface cyclone (perhaps more in line with the recent 18z guidence vs. the 12z deterministic ECMWF). Still an exceptionally difficult forecast given the extreme gradient of both precipitation and temperatures forecasted.

One thing I've noticed is that SFC dewpoints across pretty much all of MO were overforecasted between 2-5 degrees F. This probably explains for the late convective initiation since it would have required more dynamical lifting to reach parcels to the to a higher LCL. It also has implications on how much convection develops tonight, with a less expansive convective shield favoring a weaker surface cyclone (perhaps more in line with the recent 18z guidence vs. the 12z deterministic ECMWF). Still an exceptionally difficult forecast given the extreme gradient of both precipitation and temperatures forecasted.

Interesing observation, that equates to a significant loss of energy to get things started...

I'm just waiting to watch the primary interact with that huge swath of moisture coming out of the gulf. The realtime meso analysis will be a great tool to watch everything unfold tonight. 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=14

Excited to be in Rochester for this event. Think they will do better than BUF but you never know. Btw Dave, I greatly enjoy watching Josh Nichols here on channel 10 I believe. He's a great meteorologist.

You're doing quite well this winter.  You've gotten rocked in Buffalo and now you might be in the sweet spot again.

Archived