Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

East sider in roc. Yes I usually feel more confident about model.qpf in march with snowstorms. Time of year.where you have such good.atmospheric mixing and dynamics. March is the month for big ones in rochester

since 91, all the big snowstorms for rochester have been in march or late february. we have had some big january totals but they are all lake effect. this time of year seems to be primed for big synoptic systems that don't skip their energy to the coast as is usual earlier in the season.

since 91, all the big snowstorms for rochester have been in march or late february. we have had some big january totals but they are all lake effect. this time of year seems to be primed for big synoptic systems that don't skip their energy to the coast as is usual earlier in the season.

That's because March is a transition month and the overall pattern goes from progressive cold with a dominant northern jet to a more amplified pattern that allows the southern jet to come into play. Mets can correct me if I am wrong.

WOW. The 06Z NAM just jumped south, slower, colder, and slightly weaker. Ithaca never goes over to rain, and only goes over to sleet for a few hours of light precip as the low passes by to the south. The low passes just to the north of Philly at 982.5 mb instead of over Scranton at 980.2 mb.

Edit: Here is the snowmap. Over a foot for Ithaca and well over 2 feet for the thruway between Buffalo and Syracuse. RGEM is now the northern outlier by a good margin.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014031106&time=PER&var=ASNOWI&hour=057

WOW. The 06Z NAM just jumped south, slower, colder, and slightly weaker. Ithaca never goes over to rain, and only goes over to sleet for a few hours of light precip as the low passes by to the south. The low passes just to the north of Philly at 982.5 mb instead of over Scranton at 980.2 mb.

Edit: Here is the snowmap. Over a foot for Ithaca and well over 2 feet for the thruway between Buffalo and Syracuse. RGEM is now the northern outlier by a good margin.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014031106&time=PER&var=ASNOWI&hour=057

Wow is right. Just checked out the NAM. Need to chill out a bit but OMG. Let's see what 12z brings on models.

00z suite certainly halted/dampened a complete changeover thought scenario in the SYR and points north.  Mixing may take place tomorrow morning, but certainly by afternoon, those issues would wane rapidly as well.  I think the jackpot for W/C NY is going to be the southern L. Ontario lakeshore between BUF and ROC.

BTW, it's nice to have a coming together of the normally polarized W. and C. NY'ers during LES events!  A system that looks to significantly impact us all (for the most part)...Hopefully our S. Tier friends don't get too much warming, and we all get 8+" with some of us getting deep into double digits!

Holy ****. :arrowhead:  :arrowhead:

STORM TOTAL SNOW AMOUNTS OF 12-16 INCHES ARE NOW EXPECTED IN MOST
AREAS WITH SOME 18 INCH AMOUNTS POSSIBLE TO THE SOUTH OF LAKE
ONTARIO INCLUDING THE GREATER ROCHESTER AREA WHERE LAKE ENHANCEMENT
WILL DEVELOP.
IF THE CURRENT PTYPE FORECAST HOLDS...AMOUNTS WILL BE
CONSIDERABLY LOWER NEAR THE PA STATE LINE. HOURLY SNOWFALL RATES MAY
REACH OR EXCEED 2 INCHES PER HOUR LOCALLY IN ANY MESOSCALE BANDING
THAT DEVELOPS. SOME THUNDER AND LIGHTNING IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION
WITH MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGESTING THE POTENTIAL FOR SLANTWISE OR EVEN
UPRIGHT CONVECTION. SOME MODEL POINT SOUNDINGS SHOW AS MUCH AS
80J/KG OF CAPE FOR PARCELS ROOTED IN THE 700MB LAYER.

NORTH WINDS WILL BECOME QUITE STRONG ESPECIALLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON
AND EVENING PRODUCING SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND NEAR
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES...ESPECIALLY WITHIN 20 MILES OF THE
SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ONTARIO.

TEMPERATURES WILL PLUMMET THROUGH THE 20S AND INTO THE TEENS DURING
THE DAY WEDNESDAY...THEN INTO THE SINGLE NUMBERS WEDNESDAY NIGHT. A
FEW SPOTS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN TIER AND EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO MAY DROP
TO A FEW DEGREES BELOW ZERO BY THURSDAY MORNING.

ON THURSDAY ANY LEFTOVER WRAP AROUND/DEFORMATION SNOW EAST OF LAKE
ONTARIO IN THE MORNING WILL TAPER OFF. LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL
STILL BE LIKELY SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OF LAKE ONTARIO ESPECIALLY
DURING THE FIRST HALF OF THE DAY. THIS MAY ADD A FEW MORE INCHES IN
SOME SPOTS. TEMPERATURES WILL BE FRIGID BY MID MARCH STANDARDS...
WITH HIGHS STRUGGLING TO REACH THE MID TEENS ACROSS LOWER ELEVATIONS
AND POSSIBLY NOT GETTING OUT OF THE SINGLE NUMBERS ON THE HILLS. IT
WILL REMAIN QUITE WINDY WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ONGOING
ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS.

00z suite certainly halted/dampened a complete changeover thought scenario in the SYR and points north.  Mixing may take place tomorrow morning, but certainly by afternoon, those issues would wane rapidly as well.  I think the jackpot for W/C NY is going to be the southern L. Ontario lakeshore between BUF and ROC.

BTW, it's nice to have a coming together of the normally polarized W. and C. NY'ers during LES events!  A system that looks to significantly impact us all (for the most part)...Hopefully our S. Tier friends don't get too much warming, and we all get 8+" with some of us getting deep into double digits!

About time we are due here in upstate NY.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

StormTotalSnow.png

Latest model snowfall output. :popcorn:

03z SREF mean                   6z NAM:          6z GFS:

BUF:20.73"                              24.1"             17.9"

ROC:22.72"                             36.6"             20.4"

SYR:17.17"                              26.5"             17.6"

ITH:11.34"                                17.0"              8.9"

That's the best forecast discussion for a synoptic system I can ever remember. (For this area at least) :snowing:

This seems like the ideal scenario for a major synoptic system in WNY.  Having the cold air attack a strengthening low pressure vs. the other way around....where we have a storm attacking a deep cold air mass.  The latter usually seem to underachieve in our area. 

Nice pre-spring morning today with mild temps.  You wouldn't know a big snow event was lurking...

Grats to all of you. I am originally from Buffalo (lots of family still there), but now live in Lancaster, PA. Looks like a great setup for you guys. Having seen many storms down here, always glad to see when the hometown gets bombarded as well (my mom will be less than pleased). If it was on a weekend, I would drive up just to enjoy. I just can't ever seem to get enough of the white stuff.  :snowing:

12z NAM even has me pushing a foot...guidance has been a nightmare here in Upstate ENY...anything from nothing but slop on the front and back ends, to over a foot.  Euro ran warm last night so we'll see what today brings.  Just a few tics colder can make all the difference out this way.

Kinda forgot what it feels like...hence the trepidation over the past day!...

Archived