Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z NAM is just awful. Nothing here and 2 feet 30 miles to the north. GFS trended south from its 6z run and gave me a foot but the 6 inch line is ten miles to the south. Ithaca always seems to have a warm finger come in from the north or south with marginal storms. Clinging to the Euro now.

Edit: The GGEM and UKMET are still on board for the entire region as of their 12z runs as well.

We're in this together!  Right now it seems to be American versus foreign in terms of snow totals (with the American GFS and foreign UKMET as partial "traitors").  Looks like we will get anything from a flash freeze to a foot of snow.

We did pretty well this part of Upstate in ENY last event, but I agree as far as WNY and CNY are concerned.  Euro still gives my area a good event, but GFS?  Not so much... 

I think the take home message right now (T-40 hours or so) is that the Upstate region is FINALLY the place where most everyone else would like to be for a synoptic event!!! It's been awhile!

We did pretty well this part of Upstate in ENY last event, but I agree as far as WNY and CNY are concerned.  Euro still gives my area a good event, but GFS?  Not so much... 

I believe this is our 3rd (or 4th) potential moderate synoptic event of the "winter." 

There haven't been any big storms for WNY and CNY...but the 2 or 3 previous had somewhere had totals in the 5-12".

WSW in effect:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM WEDNESDAY TO 2 AM EDTTHURSDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM2 AM WEDNESDAY TO 2 AM EDT THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOLONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...NIAGARA...ORLEANS...ERIE...GENESEE...AND WYOMING  COUNTIES.* TIMING...LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES.* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...BELOW A HALF MILE AT TIMES.

A nice little tidbit from the KBUF AFD:

AS THE LOW INTENSIFIES ON WEDNESDAY...THE LOW WILL CLOSE OFF AT 850 AND 700 MB...DEVELOPING A TROWAL AND WRAP AROUND MOISTURE. THIS IS LIKELY TO PRODUCE THE MOST INTENSE SNOWFALL RATES OF AN INCH OR TWO AN HOUR ACROSS NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE GENESEE VALLEY AND WESTERN FINGER LAKES WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING. THERE WILL ALSO BE SOME MODEST LAKE ENHANCEMENT AND OROGRAPHIC LIFT. IF ALL OF THIS COMES TOGETHER...IT IS POSSIBLE THAT LOCALIZED SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL EXCEED THE CURRENT FORECAST...BUT THIS WILL HAVE TO BE FINE TUNED WHEN THE LOCATION OF SUCH A MESOSCALE FEATURE CAN BE BETTER DETERMINED.

SREF's have trended north with the critical ptype lines:

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SREF21TYPNE_15z/srefloop.html#picture

The euro and the gem being that far SE I seriously wouldn't worry about it all that much.  The SREFs are based too heavily on the NAM imo, so if it's really amped up...they'll be the same way.  

The euro and the gem being that far SE I seriously wouldn't worry about it all that much.  The SREFs are based too heavily on the NAM imo, so if it's really amped up...they'll be the same way.  

The NAM is showing 30 inches in Toronto. I don't think they've ever had a 30 inch snowstorm in history. It's such a horrible model. ^_^

Looks like NT (where I live) is in the 8-10" range. Not bad. What you gotta love about March is how quickly the snow usually melts after these storms. Forecast is calling for almost 40°F on Friday and Saturday.

I don't think anybody here is going to agree with you on that.  Why would you want the snow to melt?!  I'm confused.

Watch the best snows end up from Jamestown to Watertown west. 9WSYR starting to downplay event. Mentioning rain as a possibility and March sun. Mentions roads will be wet most of the day and then "some" accumulating snow at night. Hope they are wrong but NAM is worrisome.

Haha yep... 18z GFS is a significant shift south and east:

gfs_compaire.gif

It actually looks a bit warmer in ENY to start. Temperatures do drop quicker as the low goes over southern New England so it might be showing a period of heavier snow at that time. Need to see the soundings to be sure though.

Archived