• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

But the GFS gives us a hit.... again. its on, its off, its on, its off... etc. Im remaining hopefull based on the timing of this and the general dynamics. There will be a storm. More hope for this one than the overall trend all winter of driving them south and east and off.

Another potential big one 6 days later!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2zqhegj.png

ALL EYES WILL BE ON THE POTENTIAL SIGNIFICANT SYSTEM FOR THE MIDDLE
OF THE WEEK. LATEST 00Z ECMWF AND GFS ARE STARTING TO CONVERGENCE ON
A MORE SIMILAR SOLUTION...ALTHOUGH THERE REMAINS SOME NOTABLE TIMING
AND TRACK DIFFERENCES. THE ECMWF REMAINS ON THE SLOWER AND MORE
AMPLIFIED EDGE OF THE ENSEMBLE ENVELOPE. THE CANADIAN GEM REMAINS
THE WEAKEST AND FARTHEST SOUTH WITH THIS SYSTEM...ALTHOUGH IT HAS
BEEN TRENDING TOWARDS THE OTHER MODEL GUIDANCE AFTER BEING AN
OUTLIER YESTERDAY. GEFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS ALL SHOW A SIGNIFICANT
SYSTEM...BUT STILL HAVE A DECENT AMOUNT OF SPREAD IN TIMING...
TRACK...AND INTENSITY SUGGESTING THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY
WITH THE OUTCOME OF THIS SYSTEM.

USING A POTENTIAL VORTICITY ANALYSIS ON THE 1.5 PVU SURFACE NEAR THE
TROPOPAUSE...WE CAN TRACE BACK THE ENERGY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS
SYSTEM. THIS ANALYSIS YIELDS A VERY COMPLEX PATTERN EVOLUTION...WITH
AT LEAST 3 SEPARATE POTENTIAL VORTICITY ANOMALIES MOVING OUT OF THE
GULF OF ALASKA AND ONE FROM FAR NORTHERN CANADA. ALL OF THESE
FEATURES EVENTUALLY COME TOGETHER AND AID IN DEVELOPING THE SYSTEM
IN THE EAST. WITH SUCH A COMPLEX PATTERN EVOLUTION...ONE SHOULD TAKE
CURRENT MODEL RUNS WITH A DEGREE OF SKEPTICISM DESPITE THE
RELATIVELY GOOD AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GFS AND ECMWF.

TAKING A MODEL CONSENSUS BETWEEN THE GFS...ECMWF...AND GEFS
SOLUTIONS IT APPEARS THE CHANCES FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW CONTINUE TO
INCREASE FOR WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE MEAN SURFACE LOW
TRACK IN THIS MODEL BLEND WOULD TAKE A DEEPENING LOW FROM THE LOWER
OHIO VALLEY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING TO JUST SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND BY
WEDNESDAY EVENING BEFORE PUSHING TOWARDS NOVA SCOTIA BY THURSDAY
MORNING. SUCH A TRACK IS QUITE FAVORABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT
ACCUMULATING SNOW ACROSS OUR REGION...BUT WITH THE CAVEAT OF
INHERENT UNCERTAINTY AT THIS TIME RANGE. WE WILL CONTINUE TO OUTLINE
THIS POTENTIAL IN THE HWO.

BEHIND THIS SYSTEM A MID LEVEL TROUGH WILL RAPIDLY SHARPEN AS THE
NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAMS FULLY PHASE...AND THE PATTERN ALSO
AMPLIFIES UPSTREAM. THIS WILL DUMP ANOTHER STRONG SHOT OF COLD AIR
INTO THE GREAT LAKES AND NORTHEAST WITH TEMPERATURES PLUMMETING TO
WELL BELOW AVERAGE AGAIN WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY WITH SOME
LIMITED LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OF LAKE ONTARIO
IN THE WAKE OF THE STRONG SYSTEM.

12Z GooFuS looks bullish for upstate NY. It seems to be trending to Euro idea. Model trend on last week's storm was colder and southier over time, which was correct. Not so much with this one. In fact, GFS showing its classic SE bias only to trend the other way as event nears. IMO.

18z NAM hammers Central NY. 12 to 18 area wide. Forcing looks impressive for 1 to 2 inch per hour rates for a time Wednesday afternoon per this run. Maybe this thing trends stronger on models? Hoping this is our biggest storm of the winter. I don't think I cracked a foot in one storm yet. Lots of 6 to 10 type stuff. Getting slightly pumped.

18z NAM hammers Central NY. 12 to 18 area wide. Forcing looks impressive for 1 to 2 inch per hour rates for a time Wednesday afternoon per this run. Maybe this thing trends stronger on models? Hoping this is our biggest storm of the winter. I don't think I cracked a foot in one storm yet. Lots of 6 to 10 type stuff. Getting slightly pumped.

I'd have to check but....have we cracked 12" for ANY synoptic snowstorm the past few winters? If we did it was probably LES assisted at the tail end to get over the finish line...pathetic.  (Not that we've lacked for snow the past two winters, no shortage of 3-5" falls).

Since PHX is now out of snow days, and cannibalizing Spring Break...the kids aren't quite as jazzed for another storm.  I've been cackling that by the end of next week their "Spring Break" could be reduced to a 3 day weekend.   ;)

I'd have to check but....have we cracked 12" for ANY synoptic snowstorm the past few winters? If we did it was probably LES assisted at the tail end to get over the finish line...pathetic.  (Not that we've lacked for snow the past two winters, no shortage of 3-5" falls).

Since PHX is now out of snow days, and cannibalizing Spring Break...the kids aren't quite as jazzed for another storm.  I've been cackling that by the end of next week their "Spring Break" could be reduced to a 3 day weekend.   ;)

December 2012, both BUF and SYR

If Phoenix uses another snow day they will convert Sept. 3rd to a conference day. WTF. The 8th day off would start to eat in to spring break. I don't get it. I need to settle down a bit on this one ie. reduce QPF/open wave deal. Any one have info on how strong the EURO is showing for St. Paddy Day possible storm? Thanks OSU.

If Phoenix uses another snow day they will convert Sept. 3rd to a conference day. WTF. The 8th day off would start to eat in to spring break. I don't get it. I need to settle down a bit on this one ie. reduce QPF/open wave deal. Any one have info on how strong the EURO is showing for St. Paddy Day possible storm? Thanks OSU.

I think the next "storm" is modeled mainly to our southeast.  It doesn't really matter all that much at this time frame since it will change and who knows if there will be a storm at all.  

I think the next "storm" is modeled mainly to our southeast.  It doesn't really matter all that much at this time frame since it will change and who knows if there will be a storm at all.  

LOL...18z GFS has a stalled boundary (running north to south) over east/central NYS, while ripples of lp ride along....for about 3 days until the mother wave induces extreme cyclogenisis....up into NS Maine.

so sick of the kbuf radar being down. jesus they cant get it together. and often during high impact events for gods sake. looking forward to the 0z nam. typical nam will build moisture up until 24 hrs out and then cut in half. which is ok as long as you expect it, which i do. these models often show over 16" a few days out, you would think the computers would self-correct. it is very rare to get 16" plus as totals around here (or anywhere) but according to the models they happen several times each winter.

LOL...18z GFS has a stalled boundary (running north to south) over east/central NYS, while ripples of lp ride along....for about 3 days until the mother wave induces extreme cyclogenisis....up into NS Maine.

I saw that...yeah, that happens all the time!  :lmao:  I guess we are officially into the spring cutoff season, where models will get more fantastical and less accurate...

December 2012, both BUF and SYR

Thanks. I don't even remember that storm. There have been so few notable ones here, albeit frequent snow, that it all sort of blends together after a while.  Before I lived here I could remember individual snow events very clearly, as they were infrequent. Not anymore.

Thanks. I don't even remember that storm. There have been so few notable ones here, albeit frequent snow, that it all sort of blends together after a while.  Before I lived here I could remember individual snow events very clearly, as they were infrequent. Not anymore.

I recall a significant synoptic storm during that period, of course it happened when I was home for winter break. I have a good feeling about this storm though. The model agreement on track is striking and we're less than 72 hours from the starting time.

SREFs just ridiculous for Rochester, with 2 of them over 25". the average is 12.5". Lock it in, I'll take it! Nam is a bit south with its 0z run but the snowfall map still has a 12" line in southern monroe county and all of the fingerlakes. Syracuse looks good too. Buf wants this thing to wrap up a bit earlier than is currently progged but still has 10". This one has been fun to watch and I must say the models are really zeroing in on a sollution. But with so many variables with this storm, I wont feel real good about it until 36 hrs out. We shall see what happens. Good Luck WNY and CNY!!!!!

The chances of 12"+ aren't great with this storm, we are dealing with an open 500-700mb wave, we aren't closing off mid-level centers to the south.   

We've had I think 2 storms this year where portions of WNY got 12+ from synoptic events. You can't single out one spotter at KBuf for all synoptic event totals. I believe Lockport hit 15 inches in one storm, and someplace in the Southern Tier hit 12-14 in another.

Archived