• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

NORTHERN ONEIDA-ONONDAGA-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...SYRACUSE...ONEIDA...UTICA...

ROME

227 PM EST THU FEB 27 2014

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST FRIDAY...

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING

TO 9 AM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A LAKE

EFFECT SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST FRIDAY.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...ONEIDA...MADISON...AND ONONDAGA COUNTIES IN CENTRAL

NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS...LAKE-EFFECT SNOW...BLOWING SNOW...AND BITTERLY COLD

WIND CHILLS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT ACTIVITY.

* TIMING...SCATTERED LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS WILL INTENSIFY LATER THIS

EVENING AS A SINGLE BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW DEVELOPS EAST OF

LAKE ONTARIO. SNOWS WILL INITIALLY IMPACT THE SOUTHERN TUG HILL

REGION EARLY THIS EVENING BEFORE THE BAND GRADUALLY MOVES TO THE

SOUTH LATER TONIGHT. AFTER THE BAND SHIFTS SOUTH...SEVERAL HOURS

OF MODERATE TO HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW ARE EXPECTED ACROSS

NORTHERN MADISON...SOUTHERN ONEIDA...AND NORTHERN ONONDAGA

COUNTIES. ACTIVITY WILL BEGIN TO WEAKEN AFTER SUNRISE WITH A

GRADUAL NORTHWARD SHIFT EXPECTED AS HIGH PRESSURE MOVES INTO THE

AREA. BY AFTERNOON...ANY LINGERING ACTIVITY SHOULD BE NORTH IN

LEWIS AND JEFFERSON COUNTIES.

I guess I don't understand how warnings work I'm just a weenie who likes to watch weather but why in gods name does it always say "Including the city of Syracuse etc". Like no, that does not include the city of Syracuse lol. They can keep it up there I want spring. Tired of these bitter cold temperatures.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I don't understand how warnings work I'm just a weenie who likes to watch weather but why in gods name does it always say "Including the city of Syracuse etc". Like no, that does not include the city of Syracuse lol. They can keep it up there I want spring. Tired of these bitter cold temperatures.

That's lake effect for ya. A few miles can be the difference between a dusting and 1-2 feet.

I think we should send some of our over abundance of moisture to California.

19gw7vm3887jlgif.gif

Hey no spring for you this year! Muhahahahahahahhahahahahha ;)

Tomorrow morning could be the coldest morning of the year, tough call.  If we can calm for an hour or two tomorrow morning, the temperature will plummet.  

Yes.  Not looking forward to snowblowing a foot of snow tomorrow morning....either with no wind and near 0, or 20mph winds and 10.  I told the kids they have about a 70% chance of no school.  Wrong thing to say before their homework is done!

Yes.  Not looking forward to snowblowing a foot of snow tomorrow morning....either with no wind and near 0, or 20mph winds and 10.  I told the kids they have about a 70% chance of no school.  Wrong thing to say before their homework is done!

oh I loved the taking the chance of no school homework game growing up lol.  

None of the models actually show BUF calming out, but you never know with the high pressure in our vicinity at 12z.  Even if don't calm out we will be sitting just below zero with a terrible wind chill.  And of course, I have to work outside in this ****.  

Hey LEK,

John from Phoenix here. What are your thoughts on the band and its strength and placement? I am a little concerned about dry air and turning multi. Looks to sit in place most of the night after 9 or 10 but converge closer to shore after 3. Told my kids in Phoenix a delay is likely(not that they need more time off!).

Hey LEK,

John from Phoenix here. What are your thoughts on the band and its strength and placement? I am a little concerned about dry air and turning multi. Looks to sit in place most of the night after 9 or 10 but converge closer to shore after 3. Told my kids in Phoenix a delay is likely(not that they need more time off!).

I'm not LEK but I play his role on TV ;)...about 100 yd viz driving thru Phoenix a few minutes ago. Nice band of snow.

I am at 122" for season prior to today's snow.

I think once the winds settle down, you'll see a bit more consolidation....right now, the convergence zone is fighting the environmental surface flow...ie winds are screaming!

Any update on Redfield or anyone elses snow totals up there? I am going to compile a list from all around the Great Lakes on March 1st for snow totals so far this year. There is some absolutely incredible amounts across the great lakes.

You are LEK2. Thanks for the update.

So the kids are a tad less enthused about another snow day prospect...since any more of them is coming out of their spring break "vacation"...you know, when the weather might be...good!  (So of course I am rooting for a snow day tomorrow just to eff with them). I'm good like that.

Late night update from "extreme northern" Onondaga Cty...about 2" has fallen, SN- at present with $hitty dendrite size the past two hours despite decent radar presewntation. At this rate, we will significantly underachieve...3-5" looks more likely. Have to wonder if the dry arctic air is working its magic, again. We shall see.

Archived