Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z NAM and GFS are upping the ante for precipitation in CNY. Both have us over .5 inch thru tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see if any of the local forecasters up their snowfall amounts at noon.

BGM is planning on upping the totals (from an email I received) very soon. Might shift the WSW west a county from the current warnings.

Interesting excerpt from the BUF discussion:

SPEAKING OF THE 12Z GUIDANCE...IT IS WORTH MENTIONING HERE THAT THE 12Z NAM/GFS/GEM HAVE ALL TRENDED A BIT FURTHER WEST AND WETTER WITH THIS SYSTEM...WHICH SEEMS TO VERIFYING SO FAR GIVEN RECENT RADAR AND SATELLITE TRENDS. WITH THIS WETTER TREND...THE ABOVE GUIDANCE PACKAGES ARE NOW SUGGESTING THE POTENTIAL FOR LOW-END WARNING CRITERIA SNOW TOTALS ACROSS OUR FAR EASTERN ZONES...AND ADVISORY- TYPE AMOUNTS EXTENDING A BIT FURTHER WEST INTO THE FINGER LAKES THAN CURRENTLY ADVERTISED. IN COLLABORATION WITH SURROUNDING OFFICES... HAVE ELECTED TO DIGEST THE ABOVE MODELS A BIT MORE AND AWAIT THE ARRIVAL OF THE 12Z EURO BEFORE MAKING ANY HEADLINE CHANGES /ADDITIONS...HOWEVER THESE MAY BECOME NECESSARY WITH THE NEXT FORECAST UPDATE IF CURRENT TRENDS CONTINUE TO HOLD. STAY TUNED...THE REMAINDER OF THE PREVIOUS FORECAST DISCUSSION FOLLOWS BELOW FOR NOW.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

235 PM EST THU FEB 13 2014

NYZ009-018-036-037-044-141500-

/O.UPG.KBGM.WW.Y.0005.000000T0000Z-140214T1500Z/

/O.EXA.KBGM.WS.W.0003.000000T0000Z-140214T1500Z/

NORTHERN ONEIDA-ONONDAGA-MADISON-SOUTHERN ONEIDA-CORTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...SYRACUSE...ONEIDA...UTICA...

ROME...CORTLAND

235 PM EST THU FEB 13 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS UPGRADED TO A

WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST

FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ONONDAGA...ONEIDA...MADISON AND CORTLAND COUNTIES IN

CENTRAL NEW YORK.

* ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATION 6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...SNOW THROUGH TONIGHT...HEAVY AT TIMES. SNOW WILL TAPER

OFF TOWARDS DAYBREAK.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH...WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL

VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

PLEASE REPORT SNOWFALL AND/OR ICE AMOUNTS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE AT 1-877-633-6772...OR BY EMAIL AT

[email protected].

&&

$$

I'm not sure if BGM waited for the 12Z Euro before upgrading. To go from nothing 2 days ago to possibly 6-10 is pretty amazing. This storm will have to be studied to try to determine why the medium range models performed so poorly.

Interesting rotation on the precip from the ULL down in the MA right now. Unless I'm mistaken, that appears to be heading NNW and may juice the def snow later. Some ppl thinking that is headed for New England but...looks like its being thrown into PA and NY state to my eyes,

:clap:

I've never seen models perform so badly in all the time I've been following weather.

Agreed.  And in a strange way, I love it.  It's fun to know that you can still be surprised a mere 6-12 hours out.  Sucks for people designing models though.....

I've been kicking around the thought that perhaps we are seeing a little bit of the Fujiwhara effect in regards to the interaction between the primary and the "kicker".  IE: the primary is being pulled slightly Northwest toward the great lakes low.  The primary then begins a period of rapid intensifcation and surges Northeast while absorbing the kicker.   It'll be fun to watch how things play out this evening.  The catskills are going to get crushed.

Agreed.  And in a strange way, I love it.  It's fun to know that you can still be surprised a mere 6-12 hours out.  Sucks for people designing models though.....

I've been kicking around the thought that perhaps we are seeing a little bit of the Fujiwhara effect in regards to the interaction between the primary and the "kicker".  IE: the primary is being pulled slightly Northwest toward the great lakes low.  The primary then begins a period of rapid intensifcation and surges Northeast while absorbing the kicker.   It'll be fun to watch how things play out this evening.  The catskills are going to get crushed.

I wondered the same regarding the upstream kicker over the past two days...various nwp were joining the upper level isobars esp at 700 mb. I have to wonder if the incoming energy has somehow exerted an influence so as to keep the entire system in close to the coast vs skirting out NE? Perhaps this is part of the phasing process.

I would love to see this defo band get amped up by the moisture getting thrown nw by the upper LP in se Pennsylvania! That and a little lake enhancement we'd have the local mets jumping from bridges. They already had to add snowfall totals and then up them. Winter advisories for Wayne and Ontario counties, wouldn't take much to have Monroe and Livingston thrown in. I'm watching the meso models and the local radars like some kinda mad person!

Archived