Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another 1-2 feet for Watertown, this could of been an absolutely epic year for KBUF if this wind flow happened earlier this year.

Could've, Would've, Should've....but Didn't. :gun_bandana:

snow is starting to pick up here a few miles east of watertown!

Enjoy! we are getting some light snow from the frozen lake down here..

Could've, Would've, Should've....but Didn't. :gun_bandana:

Enjoy! we are getting some light snow from the frozen lake down here..

That's actually some solid snow coming off of Erie...There might be more unfrozen water than we've thought. That's around 1/2 inches per hour. Maybe more with temperatures around 15.

RbCMwf.gif

That's actually some solid snow coming off of Erie...There might be more unfrozen water than we've thought. That's around 1/2 inches per hour. Maybe more with temperatures around 15.

RbCMwf.gif

No kidding! just checked outside and its covered with 1/4-1/2" of new snow. still snowing..

Lake Superior fully frozen. Huron almost fully frozen to with lots of ice on Ontario.

lice-00.gif

Amazing how the western end of Lake Ontario rarely freezes. I'm actually skeptical as to whether it actually did freeze over in 1934 as, while December 1933 and February 1934 were bitterly cold, January 1934 was not in southern Ontario (it was in eastern Ontario and Northern NY though). Apparently Ontario almost froze over in 1979 as well, as a result of a bitter cold January and February.

Is there a website I can go to that would have daily data for Buffalo from July 1936? According to a book I have, Buffalo has never experienced a temperature above 100F and yet, that month, Toronto experienced three days in a row above 100, reaching 104F. I was wondering how hot it got in Buffalo that month.

Is there a website I can go to that would have daily data for Buffalo from July 1936? According to a book I have, Buffalo has never experienced a temperature above 100F and yet, that month, Toronto experienced three days in a row above 100, reaching 104F. I was wondering how hot it got in Buffalo that month.

99 is the highest ever recorded. The airport is only 10 miles northeast of Lake Erie. It's nearly impossible to get to 100 being that close to the predominant wind direction in summer. Rochester has hit it many times due to its distance away from the lake breeze. Being so close to the lake conditions are extremely muggy with dew points usually higher than most other places. Also low temperatures are usually much higher than places away from the lake as well as the lake acts as an insulator when skies become clear.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=buf

I tried to search about that same topic before with no luck, must have been some perfect setup for BUF to reach those type of temps..

Amazing how the western end of Lake Ontario rarely freezes. I'm actually skeptical as to whether it actually did freeze over in 1934 as, while December 1933 and February 1934 were bitterly cold, January 1934 was not in southern Ontario (it was in eastern Ontario and Northern NY though). Apparently Ontario almost froze over in 1979 as well, as a result of a bitter cold January and February.

On Feb. 9, the Toronto Star quoted Toronto harbourmaster F.J. Marigold as saying ice in the harbour was two feet thick in some places. “The whole harbour would be frozen over if we didn’t keep it open by running tugs through and breaking the ice up,” he said. “If we didn’t, you could drive a team (of horses) across it.”  
Could have walked from Toronto to Rochester, N.Y.

The Globe and Mail reported: “The cold wave left in its wake a series of events unprecedented in the memory of most.” Among them: “Lake Ontario froze over for the first time in 60 years or more. The 45-mile stretch between Cobourg and Rochester, N.Y., was a solid mass of ice,” said the Globe. The news was so big it made the New York Times.   

At the time, a regular car ferry, Ontario No. 2, connected Cobourg with Rochester, N.Y. The ship’s captain was Charles E. Redfern, who told a Cobourg newspaper he’d recorded temperatures of minus 30F on the bridge of Ontario No. 2.   

“A dog could have walked from Rochester to the Canadian shore if he avoided the air holes,” Redfern quipped. Yet there was little thought of cancelling the scheduled crossing. After all, the ship’s reinforced hull was built to navigate ice floes four feet deep.   

During that season, however, Ontario No. 2 became trapped in ice on two occasions and, during one of them, the ship’s crew reported they helped to pass the time by getting off and walking on the ice that covered the lake’s surface miles from shore.   

There were no satellites to snap images of the lakes back in 1934. That didn’t happen until the 1980s. So precisely how much of the lake was covered that year, and for how long, is only conjecture and based on anecdotal evidence.   

But the evidence of a total freeze-over is strong. A 1961 report done by the University of Toronto’s Department of Geological Sciences and the Canadian Meteorological Branch quoted a weather observer named A.W. Hooper and a former employee of the Ontario Car Ferry Co., R.S. Martin, as evidence that the lake had frozen over back in 1933-34, perhaps “to a thickness of half a foot or so.”   

There was even a report of a group of people from Toronto who tried to walk to Rochester, but turned back because of the failing light.   

Says Environment Canada’s Dave Phillips, “There were stories of people skating on the lake, losing sight of land and still finding the ice in good condition. The ice was said to have made incredible sounds as it cracked and moved.”  
Forces came together

It is suspected that Lake Ontario “nearly” froze again in the late 1970s and again in 1993. Other less reliable stories have it freezing across in 1912, 1893 and 1874.   

Glenn Johnson, meteorologist for 13WHAM TV in Rochester, says besides the February 1934 freeze, Lake Ontario may also have frozen over in 1855.   

What about climate change? With the warmer winters we have experienced in recent years, could Lake Ontario ever freeze again?   

Phillips says he still believes it’s possible. “Forces will still sometimes come together to create the conditions. There are those months you’ll have a Siberian cold spell that lasts three weeks, low winds. Yes, I think it could happen again.”   

The highest was 96 on July 12 1936.

This site has climate data going back as far as the recorded period for each station.

http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/

The highest was 96 on July 12 1936.

This site has climate data going back as far as the recorded period for each station.

http://scacis.rcc-acis.org/

The highest recorded temperature in Buffalo was 99 °F (37 °C) on August 27, 1948, and the lowest recorded temperature was −20 °F (−29 °C) on February 9, 1934 and February 2, 1961.

The highest recorded temperature in Buffalo was 99 °F (37 °C) on August 27, 1948, and the lowest recorded temperature was −20 °F (−29 °C) on February 9, 1934 and February 2, 1961.

Yes, I was referring to the highest for the month of July 1936. Though that 99F reading was at Buffalo Niagara International Airport on the northeast edge of the city.

Yes, I was referring to the highest for the month of July 1936. Though that 99F reading was at Buffalo Niagara International Airport on the northeast edge of the city.

Yeah they changed the reporting stations in 1940. The airport usually reports higher temperatures than the city because of how close it is to the lake. If it was recorded where they do now in July of 1936 I bet they hit 100. No one will ever know! ^_^

Yeah they changed the reporting stations in 1940. The airport usually reports higher temperatures than the city because of how close it is to the lake. If it was recorded where they do now in July of 1936 I bet they hit 100. No one will ever know! ^_^

Dansville must have been torching at that time lmao.

I tried to search about that same topic before with no luck, must have been some perfect setup for BUF to reach those type of temps..

Oh, don't get me wrong. I've read the same observations of the lake freezing over. It's just that the data does not support 1933-34 as being wall-to-wall cold. Here are Toronto's observations for January 1934, in degrees Celsius.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ONT&StationID=5051&dlyRange=1840-03-01|2013-12-10&cmdB1=Go&Year=1934&Month=1&Day=5

FWIW Batavia recorded 100 degree or more on five separate occasions in a week during that summer. it's still the most readings of 100F or more to this date for Batavia.

FWIW Batavia recorded 100 degree or more on five separate occasions in a week during that summer. it's still the most readings of 100F or more to this date for Batavia.

That summer must have been hideous. I don't mind bitter cold - at least it freezes up ponds and prevents tropical diseases from flourishing up here. But 100F? No thanks.

That summer must have been hideous. I don't mind bitter cold - at least it freezes up ponds and prevents tropical diseases from flourishing up here. But 100F? No thanks.

I hate the bitter cold, I love the intense heat. I go to the beach as many times as I can all summer. I love the feeling of having no chill when I get out of the water.

Archived