Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

talk about a dry slot. I'd guess 2-3" here in CNY....I'm surprised they closed schools. Unless this second piece gives us a good thump, this could be an ultimate fail

The heavy snow banding set up quite a bit south of where it was forecast to develop yesterday... the current heavy precip over PA doesn't help matters either. Albany doesn't look to bust too badly, but the whole central NY axis looks to underperform with the banding having failed to set up as modeled. Looking outside, any increase in accumulation is barely noticeable over the last hour.

Not to be a Debbie, but interested to see if my totally unscientific "50% rule" works with this event.  For these types of synoptic systems approaching from the southwest, I take the snowfall forecast from the day before and cut it in half.  So my guess for BUF on this storm would be in the 4-6" range.  Be gentle...I'm not saying models show this and I understand why the forecast is what it is at this point.  I'm just wary of the dry slot, poor snow growth, early transfer, etc. that seem to accompany these storms and cut back on snow totals in WNY.   

Good call Greg lol  :thumbsup:

I guess so, but back in 2008 in March we had back to back 12+ inch synoptic storms. People act like we can't get hit with good synoptic storms in WNY. ^_^

Sure, we've had our share of big synoptic hits in WNY.  It just seems these Miller B(ust) storms more often than not fail to deliver the goods.  That said, I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet.  Maybe the wraparound snow will over-perform a bit and get most of the region up to 6"+.  

Archived