Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also...growing support of a major storm next weekend.  

The Tuesday-Wednesday event is not a Miller B nor a nor'easter really.  It's shortwave from the southwest US interacting with the cold dome over the northeast.  There is no closure of mid-level low centers...no development of anomalous easterlies north of the low centers.  The top end of these things is really 10-12" of snow.  They are limited by duration and that nearly all the precip that falls is from WAA/isentropic lift.  The only reason there is limited secondary development is that primary cannot force itself through the low-level cold air situated over new england aided by mid-level confluence over Quebec.  I more proper example of a Miller B nor'easter would be what the 06z gfs is showing next weekend.  

Also...growing support of a major storm next weekend.  

The Tuesday-Wednesday event is not a Miller B nor a nor'easter really.  It's shortwave from the southwest US interacting with the cold dome over the northeast.  There is no closure of mid-level low centers...no development of anomalous easterlies north of the low centers.  The top end of these things is really 10-12" of snow.  They are limited by duration and that nearly all the precip that falls is from WAA/isentropic lift.  The only reason there is limited secondary development is that primary cannot force itself through the low-level cold air situated over new england aided by mid-level confluence over Quebec.  I more proper example of a Miller B nor'easter would be what the 06z gfs is showing next weekend.  

Yeah I was figuring a 6-10 inch event which would still be in WSW criteria, I'm sticking with my gut. ^_^

Wowww. 18z GFS just hammered the entire region with 16-24 inches for next weekend's storm. It's the exact same setup as today, except the primary cuts further west and the system is wetter and slower.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014020218&time=48&var=ASNOWI&hour=204

I would love to see that, but with the exception of December 13, 1944 and January 22-23, 1966 Toronto just doesn't see storms like that. I'll believe it when I see it.

Wowww. 18z GFS just hammered the entire region with 16-24 inches for next weekend's storm. It's the exact same setup as today, except the primary cuts further west and the system is wetter and slower.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014020218&time=48&var=ASNOWI&hour=204

It's not even close to the exact same set-up as today lol.  

Do you think a storm like that is plausible? I ask this not as a weather weenie, but simply for interest's sake. I mean, Toronto and Buffalo have seen 16" synoptic events, but they are exceedingly rare. My fellow Torontonians in the lakes sub-forum think not! ^_^

I meant that in the sense that it's a primary running into eastern Ohio that transfers to a secondary south of NYC/LI and heads east. The exact same areas get snow as will get it on Wednesday, just more of it. I haven't looked at the upper air charts yet.

Edit: Just saw the 0z run and the Miller A. Hopefully it can come back west.

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH

WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY

EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...ERIE...GENESEE...WYOMING...LIVINGSTON...ONTARIO

COUNTIES AND THE WESTERN SOUTHERN TIER.

* TIMING...LATE TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW POTENTIALLY ACCUMULATING GREATER THAN 6

INCHES.

* VISIBILITIES...A HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE AS ROADS BECOME

SNOW COVERED...SLICK AND HAZARDOUS.

* FORECASTER CONFIDENCE...MEDIUM TO HIGH. THERE REMAINS SOME

FORECAST UNCERTAINTY TO THE EXACT TRACK OF THE STORM SYSTEM AS

IT APPROACHES THE REGION. A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT TRACK COULD ALTER

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS.

0z Model Summary for the Wednesday storm(for CNY and WNY)

NAM: 10-16, highest amounts in the Finger Lakes

GFS: 6-10, highest amounts in the southern tier

GGEM: 6-12, highest amounts in the southern tier

ECM: 8-14, highest amounts in the southern tier

UKMET: 4-8 with some snow left to fall, highest amounts in southern tier

SREF Means: 8-10 with members from 5-15, amounts consistent across region

UKMET is the furthest south but jumped north from its 12z run, while NAM is the furthest north and edged south from its 18z run. A late NW trend like we've seen with many storms this year would increase everyone's totals.

THE LATEST NAM HAS NOW COME INTO MUCH CLOSER AGREEMENT WITH THE GFS

AND ECMWF REGARDING THE TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW TUESDAY NIGHT AND

WEDNESDAY. THE CONSENSUS IS THAT THE CENTER OF THE LOW WILL MOVE TO

WESTERN PA BY 12Z TUESDAY...WHILE A SECONDARY COASTAL LOW DEVELOPS

OVER THE DELMARVA PENINSULA. ALOFT...OUR CWA WILL BE IN THE

FAVORABLE RIGHT REAR QUADRANT OF AN UPPER LEVEL JET MAX THAT WILL BE

ARCING ACROSS SOUTHERN QUEBEC INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES. IN

ADDITION...STRONG LOW LEVEL WARM AIR ADVECTION ACROSS THE SHALLOWLY

SLANTED WARM FRONT WILL PROVIDE ADDITIONAL LIFT AND STRONG MOISTURE

ADVECTION OVER THE COLD AIR MASS THAT ALREADY WILL BE IN PLACE.

THESE FAVORABLE SOURCES OF LARGE SCALE LIFT AND MOISTURE ADVECTION

WILL CAUSE SNOW TO SPREAD RAPIDLY ACROSS THE AREA TUESDAY

NIGHT...WHILE PICKING UP IN INTENSITY.

ON WEDNESDAY...THE WESTERN PA LOW WILL MOVE TO THE EAST AND

EVENTUALLY MERGE WITH THE COASTAL LOW AS IT HEADS OUT INTO THE

ATLANTIC DURING THE AFTERNOON. THIS PROJECTED PATH OF THE STORM WILL

PLACE MOST OF OUR AREA IN THE DEFORMATION ZONE OF THE INITIAL

PENNSYLVANIA LOW. AS A RESULT...STEADY SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT

OUR AREA THROUGH THE MORNING...BEFORE TAPERING OFF SOMEWHAT DURING

THE AFTERNOON. THE POSSIBLE EXCEPTION TO THIS GENERAL TREND WILL BE

SOUTHEAST OF LAKE ONTARIO WHERE COLD AIR ADVECTION BEHIND THE

DEPARTING LOW MAY RESULT IN SOME LAKE ENHANCEMENT.

SNOWFALL TOTALS TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING ARE EXPECTED

TO AVERAGE ABOUT 6 TO 10 INCHES...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS LIKELY

ACROSS THE SOUTHERN TIER AND FINGER LAKES...WITH LESSER AMOUNTS

ACROSS THE NIAGARA FRONTIER AND THE NORTH COUNTRY. IF THERE IS A

GREATER CONTRIBUTION FROM LAKE ONTARIO...OR IF ANY MESOSCALE SNOW

BANDS DEVELOP NORTH OF THE LOW...SNOWFALL TOTALS COULD BE HIGHER.

THE SYNOPTIC SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO TAPER OFF FROM WEST TO EAST

WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS THE COASTAL LOW MOVES FARTHER OUT INTO THE

ATLANTIC. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS WILL LINGER SOUTHEAST OF LAKE

ONTARIO AS A COLD WEST TO NORTHWEST FLOW REMAINS IN PLACE.

-- End Changed Discussion --

The Tue night / Wed storm, and potentially the upcoming Sun / Mon storm are classic examples of how the NY lake-effect zones can really cash in on synoptic systems under the right setup.  There's been a relative derth of storms in which both Rochester and Albany do well the last 5-10 years, but this pattern is sure trying to make up for that!

The Tue night / Wed storm, and potentially the upcoming Sun / Mon storm are classic examples of how the NY lake-effect zones can really cash in on synoptic systems under the right setup.  There's been a relative derth of storms in which both Rochester and Albany do well the last 5-10 years, but this pattern is sure trying to make up for that!

Cautiously optimistic here in BUF for at least the Tue night/Wed storm.  As a general rule, it seems like these synoptic systems from the south/southwest tend to under-produce on the Niagara Frontier - poor snow growth, downsloping, warm air intrusion, etc.  On the other hand, any synoptic systems from the west/northwest tend to over-produce with added enhancement from lakes Erie and Ontario.  

:popcorn:

Nearly every model is coming into consensus of WSW criteria snowfall with Tuesday night-Weds system.

Fixed.  :whistle:

ecmwf_snow_24_ma_19.pngcmc_snow_acc_east_19.png

I'll stick with my WSW call. If I have to eat crow, so be it. ^_^

Yeah I was figuring a 6-10 inch event which would still be in WSW criteria, I'm sticking with my gut. ^_^

..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM TUESDAY TO 4 PM ESTWEDNESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM TUESDAY TO4 PM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER INEFFECT.* LOCATIONS...WESTERN PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHERN TIER...AND WYOMING  AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.* TIMING...TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY.* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...A STORM TOTAL OF 6 TO 10 INCHES.* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN A HALF MILE.* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL RESULT IN DIFFICULT TRAVEL  WITH SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITY. THE GREATEST  SNOWFALL RATES AND WORST TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED  LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Archived