Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, we've had our share of big synoptic hits in WNY.  It just seems these Miller B(ust) storms more often than not fail to deliver the goods.  That said, I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet.  Maybe the wraparound snow will over-perform a bit and get most of the region up to 6"+.  

Yeah, but to me Miller Bs are usually better than Miller As for me at least. With Miller Bs you have WAA followed by deform band snows. With Miller As you don't get that trailing low pressure system and deform band. Also Miller As are very rare for here, as the they nearly always go to the right of the Appalachians which is far to East to get a major hit here. Miller B's usually always generate more snowfall for WNY than Miller As.

The good news, for those of us harvesting 2-3" out of this system, is that the Sun/Mon system has already blown up for us, so no need to spend much time on that one.  Other than it might be interesting to see if the ULL generates enough SN- as it slides east to exceed this storm's total for places like ROC, SYR, ITH. Won't take much.

Hang in there Gravity Wave....I feel your pain.  I'm not sure what I was expecting when I moved here from Nashville in 2009, but I was hoping for more substantial snowfall than we've gotten.  And you're right about the Ithaca roads!

Thanks. It's just sad when I've only seen one snowfall of more than 6 inches in four years here. Back home they've gotten three double digit storms over that period, and I came here thinking I was going to get dumped on.

Light to sometimes moderate SN here...dendrites better than overnight although not spectacular, still some popcorn dendrites mixed in.  Looks like a couple hrs of this near SYR, should bump totals up to 4-6" IMBY.  Looking ahead, looks like next storm threat is out in fantasy land, 180+ hrs. Lake effect off of Ontario looks to be directed up towards the Tug and ART.

I can't recall a Miller A doing anything significant here, always root against those. About 4" here thus far with the DZ coming, can't call this a bust. I would have been pleased with 6" days ago, but I'm a pessimistic misanthrope.

I can't recall a Miller A doing anything significant here, always root against those. About 4" here thus far with the DZ coming, can't call this a bust. I would have been pleased with 6" days ago, but I'm a pessimistic misanthrope.

The cup is half full, I repeat, the cup is half full...

Hardly snowing here now but over the last couple hours we picked up about 4" or so. Guessing around 6" total so far. The snow over the last couple hours has been really fluffy the snow overnight was a nice sugar type snow. Time to plow now.

Guess i was a little quick on saying it had let up lol. Radar is filling up again to my west and snowing heavy here again. Was gonna plow but gonna put that on hold for a while.

Yeah the lake enhancement should start to begin anytime now across the Niagara Frontier as winds are now well aligned out of the North/Northeast. How far inland that lake enhancement makes is the question.

Snowing nicely out now, looks like we are getting some enhancement off Ontario per wivb's radar.

LOW PRESSURE CENTERED WEST-CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA THIS AFTERNOON WITH

SECONDARY LOW DEEPENING OFF THE NEW JERSEY COAST. REGIONAL RADARS

ARE SHOWING A WIDE BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WITH EMBEDDED MESOSCALE BANDS

SHIFTING EAST OVER CENTRAL NEW YORK AT MID-AFTERNOON. THIS IS ASSOCIATED

WITH A SIGNIFICANT MID-LEVEL SHORTWAVE PIVOTING ACROSS NY WITH A

COMPLEX DEFORMATION ZONE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE LOW ACROSS PENNSYLVANIA

COMBINED WITH SOME 850MB FRONTOGENETIC FORCING. HEAVY SNOW WITH

VISIBILITIES DOWN TO A QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES WILL CONTINUE

TO SHIFT ACROSS CENTRAL NEW YORK THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. BEHIND

THIS...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A NARROW POCKET OF DRY AIR BEHIND

THE SHORTWAVE WHICH WILL BRING A LULL IN THE HEAVY SNOW FOR LATE

AFTERNOON. SEE ASSOCIATED SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTS FOR BETTER

DETAIL.

FOR WESTERN NEW YORK...THIS BRIEF LULL IS BEING OBSERVED BEHIND

THE SHORTWAVE. LIGHT SNOW AND IMPROVED VISIBILITIES HAVE WORKED

ACROSS THE GENESEE VALLEY REGION BUT LOOKING FURTHER WEST ANOTHER

BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ACROSS LAKE ERIE AND THE NIAGARA

PENINSULA IS NOW PIVOTING EAST TOWARD FAR WESTERN NEW YORK ALONG A

SURFACE TROUGH/COLD FRONT. THIS WILL BRING A SECOND ROUND OF

MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW TO THE NIAGARA FRONTIER AND POSSIBLY AS FAR

SOUTH AS THE SOUTHERN TIER THROUGH THE MID TO LATE AFTERNOON WHICH

CREATE TOUGH CONDITIONS ACROSS WNY FOR THE EVENING COMMUTE.

TONIGHT...EXPECT SNOW TO DIMINISH AFTER 00Z ACROSS MUCH OF WESTERN

NEW YORK BUT SOUTH OF LAKE ONTARIO NORTHERLY WINDS WILL SET THE

STAGE FOR A COMBINATION OF LAKE EFFECT AND UPSLOPE SNOW INLAND

ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN SOUTH OF THE THRUWAY WHICH WILL HOLD ON

LONGER THROUGH ABOUT MIDNIGHT. ANOTHER 2-4 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED

ASSOCIATED WITH THIS LINGERING LAKE ENHANCED SNOW SOUTH OF LAKE

ONTARIO OVERNIGHT. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TONIGHT UNDER MODERATE

COLD ADVECTION WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS REACHING IN THE SINGLE NUMBERS

FOR MOST LOCATIONS...JUST BELOW ZERO IN JEFFERSON COUNTY AND IN THE

LOW TEENS JUST SOUTH OF LAKE ONTARIO.

Archived