• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

I hate the bitter cold, I love the intense heat. I go to the beach as many times as I can all summer. I love the feeling of having no chill when I get out of the water.

I actually don't mind the bitter cold, it's this ****ing winds that will wear you apart, I drove through the outer harbor earlier and the snow banks were insane!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No kidding. I was down in Niagara Falls and Buffalo on Wednesday 29th and the winds were something else.

Buffalo is ranked 3rd in terms of avg wind speeds. :gun_bandana:

1.  Boston, Massachusetts (12.3 miles per hour)     
  2. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (12.2 mph)
  3. Buffalo, New York (11.8 mph) 
  4. Milwaukee, Wisconsin (11.5 mph) 
  5. Dallas, Texas (10.7 mph) 
  6. Kansas City, Missouri (10.6 mph)        
  7. San Francisco, California (10.6 mph) 
  8. Cleveland, Ohio (10.5 mph) ,  Minneapolis, Minnesota (10.5 mph),  Virginia Beach, Virginia (10.5 mph), Providence, Rhode Island (10.4 mph) 
  9. Chicago, Illinois (10.3 mph)
  10. Detroit, Michigan (10.2 mph)

No kidding. I was down in Niagara Falls and Buffalo on Wednesday 29th and the winds were something else.

I was there on January 19th at Niagara Falls. The winds off the falls were crazy. It was 11 degrees with strong gusts. They had to close the observation deck for safety issues. The crazy part was the spray from the falls freezing my glasses to the point I was unable to see. Been an amazing year for cold around the country (at least the eastern 2/3's). The whole area up by a lot of you guys is pretty surreal compared to where I live. I would love to see a major LES event one day. My friends at OWLeS this winter saw more than their fair share. Areas of the Tug have to be over 200" this season. Watertown out to Fort Drum have been blasted this winter. Pictures up there still show 2-3' in places near Jefferson and Lewis counties. Truly amazing season

I was there on January 19th at Niagara Falls. The winds off the falls were crazy. It was 11 degrees with strong gusts. They had to close the observation deck for safety issues. The crazy part was the spray from the falls freezing my glasses to the point I was unable to see. Been an amazing year for cold around the country (at least the eastern 2/3's). The whole area up by a lot of you guys is pretty surreal compared to where I live. I would love to see a major LES event one day. My friends at OWLeS this winter saw more than their fair share. Areas of the Tug have to be over 200" this season. Watertown out to Fort Drum have been blasted this winter. Pictures up there still show 2-3' in places near Jefferson and Lewis counties. Truly amazing season

Yeah snow depth is 3 feet just south of Watertown. Pretty Impressive. Perrysburg about 30 minutes southwest of me on the hills has to be closing in on 300 inches on the year.

Wow nice pics Ayuud! I'm going to have to drive by there and take some of my own.

Thanks, can you just imagine what the conditions were like at that part of stretch during the blizzard of 77? :arrowhead:  :arrowhead:

CORP1.jpg

021.jpg

600_Buffalo_Snow_1977_4.jpg

20577_272164248396_2658564_n.jpg

^^ Those are Furhmann Blvd above.

2v30b2u.jpgWashington st

Rt.+11+looking+south+at+the+rt.177+inter

Barnes Corners Rt.177

34ooo3k.jpg

WEST+PORT+COLBORNE%252CNORTH+ST.+CARTHAI

QEW+BETWEEN+NIAGARA+FALLS+AND+FORT+ERIE.

QEW @ Fort Erie

Now THAT'S a Blizzard!

Great pics, thanks for posting them.  I was living down south those years and only remember news stories reporting on it. Wasn't like today, with the proliferation of communication capabilities, so it didn't really sink in as to how bad it really was.  Imagine the hyperventilating that would occur today, were this to happen again...

Now THAT'S a Blizzard!

Great pics, thanks for posting them.  I was living down south those years and only remember news stories reporting on it. Wasn't like today, with the proliferation of communication capabilities, so it didn't really sink in as to how bad it really was.  Imagine the hyperventilating that would occur today, were this to happen again...

It was the first storm to warrant a federal disaster declaration. This current generation are too much of a wimps to handle something like that.

Epic pictures, going to save these ones! Thanks!

No problem..here is the final totals for the LES storm.

NOUS41 KBUF 091610

PNSBUF

NYZ001>008-010>014-019>021-085-100410-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

1110 AM EST SUN FEB 09 2014

STORM TOTALS ARE OVER THE PAST 72 HOURS

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...

WATERTOWN 44.7 800 AM 2/09 SOCIAL MEDIA

2 SW CARTHAGE 19.0 700 AM 2/09 COCORAHS

3 S THERESA 8.0 700 AM 2/09 COCORAHS

...LEWIS COUNTY...

5 SSW HARRISVILLE 13.8 700 AM 2/09 COCORAHS

6 N CROGHAN 11.0 700 AM 2/09 COCORAHS

LOWVILLE 4.1 700 AM 2/09 CO-OP OBSERVER

$

JAM

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
344 AM EST MON FEB 10 2014

NYZ018-036-110845-
/O.NEW.KBGM.LE.Y.0006.140211T0800Z-140211T1500Z/
ONONDAGA-MADISON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SYRACUSE...ONEIDA
344 AM EST MON FEB 10 2014

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM EST
TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A LAKE
EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 10 AM EST
TUESDAY.

* TIMING...LIGHT LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH
EARLY AFTERNOON. THE LAKE EFFECT BAND MAY BECOME A BIT
DISORGANIZED FOR A TIME TODAY AS THE BAND MOVES AROUND A BIT.
LATER THIS AFTERNOON A STRONGER BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL
ORGANIZE AND CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT. IT WILL BE DURING THAT
TIME, FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT, THAT THE HEAVIEST
SNOW WILL OCCUR.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A COATING TO 2 INCHES THROUGH NOON, WHICH WILL
BRING SNOW TOTALS TO 2 TO 6 INCHES INCLUDING WHAT FELL LAST
NIGHT. ANOTHER 3 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED FROM THIS
AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL AT TIMES DUE TO GREATLY REDUCED
VISIBILITIES AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY MEANS LAKE EFFECT SNOW IS FORECAST
THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT IN SOME AREAS. LAKE EFFECT SNOW
SHOWERS TYPICALLY ALIGN THEMSELVES IN BANDS AND WILL LIKELY BE
INTENSE ENOUGH TO DROP SEVERAL INCHES IN LOCALIZED AREAS. USE
CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING.

PLEASE REPORT SNOWFALL AMOUNTS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY
CALLING TOLL FREE AT 1-877-633-6772...OR BY EMAIL AT
[email protected].

&&

$

HEDEN

BGM has us dry for the Thursday storm.

It's going to be close for those of us in eastern/central NY but I fear we are going to be left out of the fun again.

It's nice to have the EC and its ensembles on our side, but we'll have to monitor trends over the next 48 h. The strength and orientation of the kicker northern stream s/w will be huge, so we'll have to keep our eyes on that.

The lake effect machine has been in cranked up around here today... picked up about 6" of fluff and currently heavy snow. Saying 4-8" more through the night. Snow banks around the yard are getting pretty big from plowing. The snowmobiling is awesome around here right now.

Another update... COMPLETE WHITEOUT. Getting hammered right now.

picked up a surprise almost 5" overnight last night...and another 3.5" today.  So far tonight 1" or so IMBY in no. Clay...up the road a bit in Phoenix i'd say closer to 3-4" so far tonight.

Thurs/Fri looking more like an ENY hit. More to follow over next cpl days.  I need to add up my snowfall for the season.  No idea where I'm at, probably around 75-80".

edit:  just added it up...through my measurement this afternoon...95" so far this season. Doesn't seem like that much.  

Joe Bastardi insisting on Twitter that GFS storm track for Wed/Thurs storm will come west 100-150 miles from where 00Z run shows...currently, per 00Z GFS, KBGM would get fringed. If he's right, a lot of us would get whacked pretty good.  Here is the JMA (I know...) qpf output he tweeted...says its in line w/ EC and its ensembles...which I can't verify. 

GFS correcting west is pretty typical a lot of the time, although sometimes it's eastward bias tends to be the right idea, as I think it was this past weekend w/ the non-storm.  Although this time, it appears to be moving towards the EC idea.

edit: JB also just tweeted the UKMet output, below...

post-3165-0-82939800-1392091523_thumb.jp

post-3165-0-48472400-1392091788_thumb.jp

Archived