Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just about every model coming in BIG for entire W/NY and C/ NY , hi res picking up on banding and lake enhancement. Axis for hvyst snow looks to be along and south of thruway but lake enhancement will help with totals north of that region. Someone could get 18" out of this beauty.....

:guitar:

I told you this would be WSW criteria storm. ^_^

That dreaded last minute NW shift may help us after all huh? hehe :snowing:

NYZ001-002-010-011-050215-

/O.CON.KBUF.WS.W.0004.140205T0300Z-140206T0300Z/

NIAGARA-ORLEANS-NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NIAGARA FALLS...MEDINA...BUFFALO...

BATAVIA

115 PM EST TUE FEB 4 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING

TO 10 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN NIAGARA FRONTIER INCLUDING THE BUFFALO

METRO AREA.

* TIMING...LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY EVENING.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES OVERNIGHT...4 TO 7 INCHES

WEDNESDAY...AND AROUND AN INCH WEDNESDAY EVENING...LEADING TO

STORM TOTALS OF 7 TO 13 INCHES. HIGHEST TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF

THE THRUWAY.

* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A HALF MILE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL RESULT IN DIFFICULT TRAVEL

WITH SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITY. THE GREATEST

SNOWFALL RATES AND WORST TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED

WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Snow growth actually doesn't look awful since we're pretty far north of the sleet line...may only flirt with -8c or so aloft.  

Are you concerned with a dry slot, it seems it keeps creeping further and further north. I think places along the state line actually have a few hour break between the WAA snows and the deform snows. Those regions who stay in the snow the entire duration of this storm will be the big winners in terms of total accs.

Widespread 6-12" snowfall for CNY. The biggest widespread (non lake effect snow) we've seen since early January

There could be some localized bands of heavier snow setting up Wednesday morning, but it's impossible to say where they will set up.

New data is coming in as I write this, and I'll be able to go through that after the Noon show. So far, that info is a bit wetter, meaning slightly more snow for us. That guidance has been the wettest throughout the event. The guidance that has been a little less wet and snowy for us will be coming in soon, so I'll see if that's trending wetter.

The high resolution model that we run in the office is producing 9" of snow for Syracuse by Wednesday evening.

So the only change to the forecast is to bump things up a bit to the 6-12" range for the storm.

From LocalSYR

:popcorn:

Are you concerned with a dry slot, it seems it keeps creeping further and further north. I think places along the state line actually have a few hour break between the WAA snows and the deform snows. Those regions who stay in the snow the entire duration of this storm will be the big winners in terms of total accs.

It's tough to say...areas near the state line also get heavier snow on the front end than we do.  It may end up being a wash...they get a break...we don't..but they got more on the front end.  

It's tough to say...areas near the state line also get heavier snow on the front end than we do.  It may end up being a wash...they get a break...we don't..but they got more on the front end.  

Yeah makes sense. We also have to factor in lake enhancement as well. The last synoptic storm dropped 22 inches in Greece which is just a 40 minute drive northeast of KBUF. Latest snowfall map from WIVB:

snow1.jpg

Not to be a Debbie, but interested to see if my totally unscientific "50% rule" works with this event.  For these types of synoptic systems approaching from the southwest, I take the snowfall forecast from the day before and cut it in half.  So my guess for BUF on this storm would be in the 4-6" range.  Be gentle...I'm not saying models show this and I understand why the forecast is what it is at this point.  I'm just wary of the dry slot, poor snow growth, early transfer, etc. that seem to accompany these storms and cut back on snow totals in WNY.   

I'm 20 miles below you, Gravity Wave, in Spencer, NY.  We really and truly might be in the bulls-eye!  Looking for at least a foot for sure.

Hopefully this will be the storm that erases all the painful memories of dry slots, unexpected warm tongues, horrendous snow growth and disintegrating precip shields that usually characterize synoptic storms up here. The short range models are all on our side, so my expectations are peaking.

Hopefully this will be the storm that erases all the painful memories of dry slots, unexpected warm tongues, horrendous snow growth and disintegrating precip shields that usually characterize synoptic storms up here. The short range models are all on our side, so my expectations are peaking.

Sometimes those are the nicest memories...

Archived