• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

I need to pack this in. Gonna be a long day and night Wed!  GFS came in lighter with qpf as  usual but really unloads qpf in Central New England - though how much of that is snow is debatable.  We're approaching NowCast time.  

I lived in ALB area for the back to back 20" snowstorms, Xmas 2002 and a week later in early Jan 2003, so that sort of made up for the 20 years of lousy snowstorms in SE CT.  One winter (96/97?) we had a Trace snowfall for the entire frigging winter...just some sleet events.  They've had much more luck since I left.

Virga overhead.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the type of dynamics that can pop short periods of 4-6"/hr. rates....like the snowbomb in SYR back in 1994...I think...2 hours of back to back 5"/hr. rates.

I was working in Syracuse that day and from 10am till about noon is when that happened. everyone left work and crowded the roads it took me 6 hours to get to Camillus from downtown.

yeah, i've yet to see or hear thunder snow. And I've looked and listened believe you me- ive listened, even imagined it once or twice. could this be the one? I can only hope- and listen. upper dynamics look good. but i dont know. its kinda like a unicorn, unless yur Jim Cantore (who lives with a unicorn). then again, Mike Seidel is in town.

Dave, you need to drive up the 219 between OP and Springville during an early season intense LES event-- you'll experience thundersnow then.

i always look at the springville and dayton snow reports with extreme jealousy. what a lucky area! i almost bought a property up on redfield reservoir. I should of- it would be worth more now. but there is NOTHING up there other than a bar and snow. wait. that was the worst decision of my entire life.

my best guess for the biggest snow totals: Warsaw (yep) 18", Bristol 22", Springwater 24". Rochester 14, Buf 12, Syr 17. Ithaca 7, bgm 5, somewhere in the dacks get 30 plus. oh and the rochester airport only observes 7.9. we have a problem with measurements this winter in kroc.... just ask ALL the local mets. Im concerned they might get violent. lol

only 14? ha, ha. normally that would be great. high res and rapid refresh show the best totals just south of the nys thruway. but at this point nobody really knows. Rochester has BIG potential as do Syr and Buf. Id put rochester anywhere from 8-26. i know thats a huge spread. but with a frozen lake i don't know if LES will put us over the top or not. and with a jog to the south the best synoptic will be just south. If LES does occur and the storm bands go over us, then 18 plus will happen. if neither happen then 8-12 from the synoptic moisture. I wouldnt make much of a forecaster with that range. lol. if i had to forecast id be with most of our local mets. 10-16 with local 18plus.

it looks to go just south of pittsburgh. at 988. a near perfect track for all of WNY. still concerned with the northern most areas if Lake Effect is a bit less than normal due to frozen areas of Ontario. But anyway, we all get 1 foot. not bad. i really want to see the euro output for snowfall. with a blizzard warning i dont think the moderators would mind.

NMM and ARW are both cold and wet for CNY, 12-16 for Ithaca if they verify. It will all depend on where the R/S line stalls for a few hours at midday. Regardless, I expect the northern Finger Lakes to have the biggest accumulations. Could see up to 2 feet in Geneva and Seneca Falls.

Edit: Here is the aforementioned map(NMM on left, ARW on right).

snow48.gif

And I'd like to know BUF's thinking of excluding Oswego Co....they look to be just as impressive with winds later in the day...especially the shoreline west of Oswego.

We do not expect winds to be quite as strong in Oswego County, given the northeast wind direction. That should direct the strongest of the winds and most widespread blizzard conditions west of Oswego County. It will still be windy there with plenty of blowing and drifting, but worse conditions are expected farther west.

just looked outside. Irondequoit has just changed to snow. Euro hold course, possible jog to the north maybe screwing our friend in Ithaca and our friends in Binghampton and albany. NWS has upped snow for Ithaca. if this comes out as progged it will be a major feather in the hat for NWS BUF for pulling the trigger on Blizzard warnings. Im sure there were some 'interesting' conversations about that one. The day crew left the evening crew some room to 'pull the trigger'.

And I'd like to know BUF's thinking of excluding Oswego Co....they look to be just as impressive with winds later in the day...especially the shoreline west of Oswego.

We do not expect winds to be quite as strong in Oswego County, given the northeast wind direction. That should direct the strongest of the winds and most widespread blizzard conditions west of Oswego County. It will still be windy there with plenty of blowing and drifting, but worse conditions are expected farther west.

Hey, thanks!

Archived