• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

34 and rainy here in Ithaca.  Snow mixes in during heavy precipitation.  I still do not know why TWC and NWS have us getting 10+.

Same here in Otsego County.

We just can't get through the mix line to the good stuff.

If it doesn't happen soon then I think our accumulation amounts will be much less than forecast.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neat tidbit from KBUF regarding the 1999 analog storm (which dropped about 2' on KROC)...

IT IS WORTH NOTING THAT THE SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY CIPS ANALOG GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT THIS SYSTEM BEARS A VERY STRONG RESEMBLANCE TO THE MARCH 7 1999 STORM THAT BROUGHT BLIZZARD CONDITIONS TO THE ROCHESTER AREA ALONG WITH OTHER PORTIONS OF WESTERN NEW YORK. THIS STATED...WHILE THE TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW AND THE PATTERN OF SNOWFALL ACROSS THE STATE IS SIMILAR TO THE 1999 CASE...THE COMBINATION OF MUCH DEEPER AND STRONGER SURFACE LOW...AND A NEARLY PERFECT UPPER JET STREAK PATTERN OF LEFT EXIT AND RIGHT ENTRANCE REGION ENHANCING DEEP LAYER LIFT IMPLY A MORE POTENT STORM OVER A WIDER AREA THAN AS WAS THE CASE IN 1999.

Looks great out there in WNY and CNY!  Back to a mix of snow and sleet out here in ENY, but mostly snow at the moment.  Starting to cover the driveway and make things a little slick.  Stuck at 33 degrees.

Stubbornly holding at 32.5.  It's flipped back to rain now, but I just noticed small icicles forming on branches out my window.

Looks great out there in WNY and CNY!  Back to a mix of snow and sleet out here in ENY, but mostly snow at the moment.  Starting to cover the driveway and make things a little slick.  Stuck at 33 degrees.

All rain down here near ALB with the temperature falling to 34 right now. We may get some freezing rain this afternoon and then sleet or snow later tonight, depending on how strong the warm nose around 800-700 mb pushes in. The NAM had that layer much warmer than the 14z RAP giving us 3" as opposed to an inch of snow and sleet.

what's with the bright banding between ITH and BGM? Snow or sleet? Or both?  I haven't measured here as I am at work but a few inches appear to be down.  viz << 1/4 mi. here attm.

We have been getting a mix of rain and snow since about noon here on Cornell's campus. Very large flakes. There is a slushy accumulation (less than 1") on all surfaces, but rain continues to mix in. The campus weather station has now dropped to 32F. I assume downtown in Ithaca, it is primarily rain with no accumulation at this point.

Archived