• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jstev4506
    Newest Member
    jstev4506
mreaves

NNE Winter Part 3

Dewpoints are super low, -16F. This pattern blows for snow. Nothing on the map for at least the next week. Might as well let spring come early then. Might not surpass last year's total after all. Need 13".

Currently at 21.7" below last year's total.  Only 3 winters in 15 have brought that much snow later than today's date, 2001, 2007, and 2011.  2002 missed by less than 1".

MAV has a 60F range for HIE tomorrow...36/-24

I'd believe 50 - I'll probably have a mid-40s span today - but 60 would be otherworldly.

It would be great to end the season with a bang up here, especially for you NW guys.  Let's get a storm in here next week and then bring on spring.

Only -1.6F last night at my 1100 foot location.  I must save so much heat being 700 feet above the surrounding landscape.  Hit the last row of my woodpile today.  Started with 6 cords, down into my last one now.

BTV broke 60" of snow with most recent dusting, but the negative departure is ticking up (-3.7" as of the latest climo report). Hopefully the 13th event works out.

It would be great to end the season with a bang up here, especially for you NW guys.  Let's get a storm in here next week and then bring on spring.

If by “spring” you mean lots of big spring snowstorms, then that would be welcomed.  We still need almost 60” of snow here in the valley to even get to an average season in terms of snowfall, and the local mountains need in the range of 150”.  It would really take one heck of a storm to do that all in one shot, so I think the only chance we’ve got of getting toward something average would be a number of decent events over the next couple of months.

Holy crap. Hopefully below zero at the lake tonight.

LCI has been racking up some pretty cold nights (for their standards) with the lake frozen. You're right on the water so I'd imagine you drop off a cliff tonight.

Pretty sweet snowpack here.

The Center Sandwich cocorahs observer had 26" this AM. Still 21" here.

Currently your typical 28F/-17F t/td spread. These are faux dews that won't be "realized" tonight though. CON will probably make another push for -5F to -10F.

BTV broke 60" of snow with most recent dusting, but the negative departure is ticking up (-3.7" as of the latest climo report). Hopefully the 13th event works out.

It's working out to be a fairly average snowfall year in the Champlain Valley, but still quite an odd year in several respects.  The freezing rain the weekend before Christmas turned the snow into an icepack, which in many places allowed it to survive nine straigh days of +10 to +20 degree departures in January.  Then there's lack of large events, with there being only two 6"+ snowfalls the entire winter.  Lastly, there's been a remarkable number of double digit departure days, 22 on the plus side and 35 on the negative side.  Overall, much better than the past two winters in the Champlain Valley, but still a remarkably odd year.

LCI has been racking up some pretty cold nights (for their standards) with the lake frozen. You're right on the water so I'd imagine you drop off a cliff tonight.The Center Sandwich cocorahs observer had 26" this AM. Still 21" here.

I'd say close to 2' or so as well in protected areas. Probably 21-24" protected, but I haven't really scoped it out. Defintely a lot of snow.

BTW, I chucked a few over at Walmart for you.

I'd say close to 2' or so as well in protected areas. Probably 21-24" protected, but I haven't really scoped it out. Defintely a lot of snow.

BTW, I chucked a few over at Walmart for you.

They finally got the food in there about a month ago.

We'll have to meet up one of these times. Things have been a little hectic.

Pretty sweet snowpack here.

I can imagine. I'll be up in Andover Sunday tapping maple trees I'll take a weenie pack measurement.

You should venture out onto the lake and find someone drilling holes. I'm curious how much ice. I've heard its pushing 3' on some lakes up there.

They finally got the food in there about a month ago.

We'll have to meet up one of these times. Things have been a little hectic.

It's Defintely not easy for us either without a babysitter lol. I'd love to grab a few beers with you guys. I'm sure the girls would get along too. Maybe when it warms up.

Well we are only 25 degrees colder than BTV this morning... giving us a head start on the daily departure game, haha.

MVL... -6F

MPV... -5F

BTV... +19F

Huge inversion here on the east slope...

3,600ft...17F

2,500ft...10F

1,500ft...6F

750ft...-6F

Man today is going to be a winner... suns already shinning at the top of the mountain, haha. 

Every spring I realize how much I missed the sun and longer days.  In December and January its still dark out at like 7:30am... now when I leave my house at 5:15am its already getting light out.

This is a shot from around 5:20am this morning...better enjoy getting to work with the sun coming up for one more day before we lose that hour again.

Thanks to all for your advice on the area for my visit there last weekend. Completely fell in love with Vermont. We stayed in Burlington (in the Hotel Vermont which was a fantastic hotel). The sights across the frozen Lake Champlain were great. Drove around on Saturday to see the areas around Burlington, loved Warren,, was stunned at the beauty of the drive out 100 through the Green Mountain National Forest. Went up to Trapp Lodge on Sunday and went snowshoeing. 

Absolutely perfect weekend (including the fresh snow Sunday morning). 

Hoping to come back with the whole family this summer.

And, in a perfect world, when my youngest clears HS in six years, would love to find a way to re-located up to the state the empty nest into retirement years. Jealous of all who live up there now. 

Just drove through diamond dust on I93 south between mile 43-44. That's the 2nd time I've hit IC there this season so that's a weenie rad spot. If you're in the area it may still be there.

Just drove through diamond dust on I93 south between mile 43-44. That's the 2nd time I've hit IC there this season so that's a weenie rad spot. If you're in the area it may still be there.

Defintely some haze in the air here. Not smoke either.

Defintely some haze in the air here. Not smoke either.

it's pretty cool. It looks like a hazy shallow fog from a distance and then you're driving through tiny glistening ice crystals with the sun shining.

it's pretty cool. It looks like a hazy shallow fog from a distance and then you're driving through tiny glistening ice crystals with the sun shining.

See that from the mountain all the time when looking into the valleys...you've got the like really clear skies above the inversion and then almost milky skies below that where the crystals are.