• Member Statistics

    15,529
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
mreaves

NNE Winter Part 3

Recommended Posts

We sure could use a refresher soon. Don't care much about the upcoming cold, but more snow would be good. I'd say we lost about 12" of pack over the last few days. Snowbanks are brown and crusty, woods are solid. Despite a lot of winter haters, I feel like we finally got into a groove the last few weeks with all the snow and cold. January was pretty much lost, December was about half decent. Seems like last year in that just as we started to build a mid/late season pack, met winter was pretty much over. Oh well, gotta get out and enjoy the good stretches when you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had about an inch or so of fluff from the band last night. If only it stuck around for awhile :) Some light flurries flying this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I hadn't been paying attention too closely I guess, but I was checking out some of the southern VT areas and saw Mount Snow has picked up almost 6 feet in February alone, and is sitting even with say Sugarbush and Bolton in yearly snowfall (it's been a long time since SVT and NVT are similar going into March). What's interesting about that is the different ski areas' interpretations of those same snowfall amounts, haha. Mount Snow and SVT areas touting this as a ridiculous amount of snowfall so far this season, while the northern areas are not drawing attention to the lower than normal snowfall, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow squalls just missed last night.  Nothing here but one town north, Plymouth NH got a good one, looked like an 1" on the west side of town.  12Z GFS keeps next weeks action mainly to the south, I know last nights euro was further north, will have to see what todays runs bring.   Im tired of the cold dry weather, let it snow or bring on the warmth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow squalls just missed last night.  Nothing here but one town north, Plymouth NH got a good one, looked like an 1" on the west side of town.  12Z GFS keeps next weeks action mainly to the south, I know last nights euro was further north, will have to see what todays runs bring.   Im tired of the cold dry weather, let it snow or bring on the warmth.

Yeah snowed briefly moderate here, picked up like .2". Towards the Rumney border did a bit better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to get through all the banter on the SNE thread to see what the Euro shows for next week.  I guess  suppression city continues with all the fun down south.   Windex events and possible flurries are what we have to look forward to unless things start bumping north.  

 

By the way WeatherMA I forgot to answer your inquiry as to my snow total.  I don't keep great records like Brian for snowfall totals but I think I am around 65".  I know Brian just to my south has considerably more.  Looking at my snow stake in my field I am down to 14" of rock hard snowcover. Here is my webcam picture from right now.  12" rod is just buried in the snow.  Also interesting to watch the visability  of the Cardigan mountain range to my west.  Flurries come off that range and dry up as they move over to Ragged Mtn and down towards Franklin NH to my south.  I see that alot from here.

post-268-0-47464800-1393361275_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.01” L.E.

 

Today’s accumulation was generally from the second shortwave in the series, so I’m putting the accumulation under that event.

 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 16.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stowe and Smuggs both reporting 4" up top in the past 24 hours- not bad.  

 

Honestly, Smuggs skied ok today. Snow showers came in and out all day.  But it was piling up, measurably, while I was there.

 

Not sure about blocking, but the drive from Jeffersonville to Morrisville around 2pm was semi-snow covered roads, and meandering snow showers with periods of dendrites/brief moderate snows along the way.  

 

The show ended where Rt 15 met Rt 100- dry roads all the way from Morrisville, back through Stowe and Stowe Hollow Rd (parallels Rt 100, just a bit higher).  The Worcester Range was clear as day all the way back to Waterbury, while the Spine was behind a wall of grey.  Go figure- seems like I should get used to watching the snow cloud off to the west on this side of the valley when the upslope machine happens.

 

No measurable today here at the house after 0.4" overnight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stowe and Smuggs both reporting 4" up top in the past 24 hours- not bad.  

 

Honestly, Smuggs skied ok today. Snow showers came in and out all day.  But it was piling up, measurably, while I was there.

 

Not sure about blocking, but the drive from Jeffersonville to Morrisville around 2pm was semi-snow covered roads, and meandering snow showers with periods of dendrites/brief moderate snows along the way.  

 

The show ended where Rt 15 met Rt 100- dry roads all the way from Morrisville, back through Stowe and Stowe Hollow Rd (parallels Rt 100, just a bit higher).  The Worcester Range was clear as day all the way back to Waterbury, while the Spine was behind a wall of grey.  Go figure- seems like I should get used to watching the snow cloud off to the west on this side of the valley when the upslope machine happens.

 

No measurable today here at the house after 0.4" overnight. 

 

I noticed a sharp cut-off on the east side today too... and picked up the same as you at 0.4" overnight.  However the mountain snowfall was significantly steadier with larger flakes than anything below 2,000ft.  There was a solid gradient between high on the mountain and the base area.  It was like the low levels were fighting really dry air and limited moisture, while along the Spine there was just enough lift (with some blocked flow) to create larger flakes & dendritic arms.  But at the same time, it had some surprising heft to it for such a cold dry snow. 

 

The wind was fairly steady and strong...nothing unreasonable, but just steady blowing and wind packing.  Sheltered parts of the mountain certainly had more snow accumulation in a sense that it was able to lay undisturbed.  1.3-1.5" at the base, significantly less than the upper mountain...there was enough snow to make the skiing fun, but not enough to really change the off-piste conditions (due to the freezing rain crust). 

 

The fabled Mansfield stake did come in with a decent 0.21" melted and the depth went up 5".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My point and click icon says heavy snow 70% chance today and heavy snow 30% tomorrow. No wonder the public thinks forecasters don't know what they are talking about

Well any squall could be heavy, but I understand your point. I'm sure many people just look at the images and the 1-2 word caption underneath to get their forecast. If the image captions said "Snow Squalls" I think the public would understand that it will be widely scattered heavy snow showers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well any squall could be heavy, but I understand your point. I'm sure many people just look at the images and the 1-2 word caption underneath to get their forecast. If the image captions said "Snow Squalls" I think the public would understand that it will be widely scattered heavy snow showers.

Snow squalls would be perfect.  To the average person 70% chance of heavy snow means, cancel plans and expect a snowstorm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:weenie:

 

Still crossing my fingers for something more exciting than the GFS's 0.15" of measurable over the next 7 days, lol.  No matter what, this winter's pattern has been incredibly persistent.  No denying that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still crossing my fingers for something more exciting than the GFS's 0.15" of measurable over the next 7 days, lol.  No matter what, this winter's pattern has been incredibly persistent.  No denying that. 

 

LOL Yeah it looks like we may have to punt this year overall. BTV is slipping back into negative departures:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visibility just dropped to 3/8 mile in partial-sun flurry, but with nearly all the flakes a few hundred yards to the south of the Augusta office (and now tapering to almost nothing.)  I can't remember seeing such a sharp cutoff in a flurry - more like a summer shower.

 

An earlier line of SN adroitly split in two to go around MBY, then reconnected afterwards.  The southern section of echoes grazed my area, but given the NW winds those flakes landed in Vienna (Maine, not Austria.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.