• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Would you rather--

Huffwx

We've had a little "heat" between the DC north crew towards the SW VA, CHO and RIC crews because of snow events. 

In 09-10 I had about 35 inches for the winter. Dec 18-19 under preformed here-- 14.5, (12.5 airport) (Not NO snow dry slot, but banding was 20 miles west/north.. Clipped Roanoke with 18.5 inches. 

11.5 Jan 30 and 8 on Feb 5-6. add a bunch of T to 1 inch. (feb 10 was a bust here 3-5 was under 1)

IAD had 34 on Feb 5-6 alone. 

We also busted Jan 11 with 5-9 inches being heavy rain to sleet, back to rain ending as snow with an inch. 

On the upside--

Feb 19th-20 2012 was 8.2 inches at my house. 

Jan 18th last year 3.5-4 inches that was an insane .65 l/e in that time frame 33 degrees

March 5-6 was 3-4 inches. 

Palm Sunday 7 inches. 

Charlottesville had the best of both worlds in that they had most of those storms PLUS 2 feet Dec 19th 2010 AND 12+ on Feb 5-6. They also had that clipper March 3 of 2012 that was like 100 miles north of modeled data-- we had an inch, it was like 4-7 in Cho to Orange County. 

We had a bottom top ten winter 09-10 (#10 in the books)

DC, IAD, Philly, ILG blew their records out the doors. 

Would you trade the record winter for 4 run of the mill events down here?? 

This is an interesting question.  I remember being very jealous of the DC crew during 2009-2010 in Feb.  We ONLY had 62" inches here that year versus the 80+ in BWI and DC.  The last 2 winters have been strange with blocking but a terrible Pacific.  How does climo compare between LYH, ROA,CHO, IAD, DCA with average snowfall?  Does anyone know?

This is an interesting question.  I remember being very jealous of the DC crew during 2009-2010 in Feb.  We ONLY had 62" inches here that year versus the 80+ in BWI and DC.  The last 2 winters have been strange with blocking but a terrible Pacific.  How does climo compare between LYH, ROA,CHO, IAD, DCA with average snowfall?  Does anyone know?

56" at DCA.

I am a weather geek, but more of an 'extreme' weather fan. A lot of people on these boards get all jazzed up for cold weather, or wake up everyday and track temps. A 3-6" snowfall doesn't do much for me. I am always looking for the "big" one. I would take 1 25-35" snowfall every 2 years if it meant no snow besides that. This might just be me though, idk. 

LYH is about 18, ROA is about 20...

CHO? I imagine 21..IAD 22, DCA 15. 

Last year was about climo with about 15.6 inches or so-- some places were well above in Campbell, Appomattox and Amherst County. (Freak inverted trough in Feb dumped 4-8 in those areas too)

Assuming the same snowfall totals, I'll always take a bunch of small and moderate events spread out over the winter vs. 1 monster or even 2 big ones.

I can live with 2-- last year was doable with 2-4 inch events and Palm Sunday's 7. 

Would have liked them a bit earlier in the season to have more snow cover days.. but Palm Sunday was about perfect with snow falls being undershot and it over performed. 

56" DCA and 77" BWI but i live in the N burbs of Baltimore and i had 94" in 09-10. I would take my winter in a heartbeat.

It's best to be rational and for those around the cities, that means expecting mostly 1-3/2-4 type events with the random 3-6/4-8 event. It is what it is. Two to three times each decade we over perform and get foot + storms. Big storms are just not that common around here. Bwi has 10 months on record with > foot of snow in the last 3 decades. That gives you an idea of how common it is. Expect small events and you'll be fine.

My climo is scalable from DCA. By that, I mean that I mean I can usually tell how well I will do in a storm based on how DC and the surrounding suburbs are doing. It is very rare for DCA to get a good snowstorm and for me to get nada.

I can't say the same for Forest, VA. There are several different types of storms that can nail your area and totally screw me, and vice versa. Even though the raw climo numbers may seem similar, we usually get there differently. That's why I think your area probably needs to post in different threads and not get too hung up on DC-north weather.

My climo is scalable from DCA. By that, I mean that I mean I can usually tell how well I will do in a storm based on how DC and the surrounding suburbs are doing. It is very rare for DCA to get a good snowstorm and for me to get nada.

I can't say the same for Forest, VA. There are several different types of storms that can nail your area and totally screw me, and vice versa. Even though the raw climo numbers may seem similar, we usually get there differently. That's why I think your area probably needs to post in different threads and not get too hung up on DC-north weather.

I sorta agree with this to an extent. There seems to be an imaginary line from just north (KHSP?) of me thru CHO to south of DCA especially last 5 years where either one side or the other gets snow, but not both. This year is a prime example, my climo (personal but records for 30 years) is 26 inches, this year I'm at just under 3. ROA and LYN have been shut out so far. But from DCA (well it is DCA) and IAD north and west it's been a average (I had great, that may be an overstatement) year. Last year was exact opposite. the 09-10 year I ended up with 68, I was on the southern edge of that line as Huff and ROA folks got snow, but nowhere near up that way. I'm not sure about separate threads, people just need to realize ROA and DCA are different. 

I'm not really comparable to anywhere..

Anywhere in NC?? Never.. a ROA to RIC forum would be pretty much dead with us 14 posters. 

I get our climo is somewhat different, but it's close enough. We share events, just jackpot differently. 

I sorta agree with this to an extent. There seems to be an imaginary line from just north (KHSP?) of me thru CHO to south of DCA especially last 5 years where either one side or the other gets snow, but not both. This year is a prime example, my climo (personal but records for 30 years) is 26 inches, this year I'm at just under 3. ROA and LYN have been shut out so far. But from DCA (well it is DCA) and IAD north and west it's been a average (I had great, that may be an overstatement) year. Last year was exact opposite. the 09-10 year I ended up with 68, I was on the southern edge of that line as Huff and ROA folks got snow, but nowhere near up that way. I'm not sure about separate threads, people just need to realize ROA and DCA are different. 

Roa had 18 in December 09 was the only big difference. THey were low 40's on the winter. We had a few more Jan 30, but they had a more Feb 5. 

Many Classic KU hit both-- Jan 96, March 93, Jan 87, Feb 83--etc

I am a weather geek, but more of an 'extreme' weather fan. A lot of people on these boards get all jazzed up for cold weather, or wake up everyday and track temps. A 3-6" snowfall doesn't do much for me. I am always looking for the "big" one. I would take 1 25-35" snowfall every 2 years if it meant no snow besides that. This might just be me though, idk.

+1

I am guessing March 93 was a hammering down your way, and while a notworthy event up this way, not nearly the same impacts as further to the west over to the mountains.

13 inches here in LYH, 18 in Roanoke. Oddly, Martinsville and Danville had over 20, getting caught in some intense banding. 

I was in ILG at the time which had 14 or so. 

Anywhere in NC?? Never.. a ROA to RIC forum would be pretty much dead with us 14 posters. 

I get our climo is somewhat different, but it's close enough. We share events, just jackpot differently. 

That would be a shame if a thread like that died.  Seems like RIC does not have a lot of posters relative to it's population on this board.  I mean it IS a metro area of 1.3 million.

I would say Forest,VA is pretty comparable climo to the higher terrain in western NC (ie. Wilkesboro to Boone) area

Archived