joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see the area of reflectivity over SW PA is collocated with the higher mid-level lapse rates around 6 C/km. It's also near a maximum in 850 mb frontogenesis. Those features should move towards the northeast through the evening.

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2014-01-17 19:02:04.png

Wow those are some pretty sizeable mid level lapses. Definitely looks to be a quick and hard hitting period of snow this evening with a chance of thunder for someone lucky.

Just posted on CTP's Facebook page:

There have been several reports of THUNDERSNOW with the convective snow band lifting northeast from the Greater Pittsburgh area and approaching the western Alleghenies/Laurel Highlands. The band is also producing a quick 0.5-1.0" of snow and sharp reductions in visibility. Please be prepared for rapidly changing conditions if traveling this evening across west-central PA. The snow should reach a line from Bradford to State College to Carlisle by 9 pm - although the best instability (and best chance for locally heavy snow bursts) will be near the RT 219 corridor from 730-830pm.

Kind of seems like on radar that this band is going to miss UNV to the NW...

The last few runs of the GFS and NAM all point to that scenario. Not even 0.10" qpf on the 0z NAM. All this talk of 1-3 and 2-4 for anywhere east of the Susquehanna from various weather folks (incliding the NWS) may be in jeopardy.

The last few runs of the GFS and NAM all point to that scenario. Not even 0.10" qpf on the 0z NAM. All this talk of 1-3 and 2-4 for anywhere east of the Susquehanna from various weather folks (incliding the NWS) may be in jeopardy.

Well, I didn't exactly say it would bust, but I was skeptical, so I'll take my crow breaded and grilled with corn and mashed potatoes on the side. At 5:00AM, we have 1.75" on the ground, which was/is right in the forecasted range. I only wish I knew how heavy it came down when it was snowing. There is another area of precip on radar coming up from the Reading area that may actually push me to, or over the two inch mark before the system exits.

Well, I didn't exactly say it would bust, but I was skeptical, so I'll take my crow breaded and grilled with corn and mashed potatoes on the side. At 5:00AM, we have 1.75" on the ground, which was/is right in the forecasted range. I only wish I knew how heavy it came down when it was snowing. There is another area of precip on radar coming

up from the Reading area that may actually push me to, or over the two inch mark before the system exits.

Got about 1" here, now up to 22" for the season.

Sounds like someone is excited that winter is back. :)

Got about 1" here, now up to 22" for the season.

Sounds like someone is excited that winter is back. :)

Not really. I generally don't like winter, but I'll take a decent snow event if we can get one. My wife told me it started snowing here around 3:00AM. By 5:00AM we had nearly 2 inches, so I suppose it was about an inch per hour while I was sleeping. Not too shabby I guess.

Up to 2.25" as of a 7:15AM measurement.

Should I begin to chant Voyager's mantra?  Screw zone here again from this event.  Woke up to a whopping 0.3" on the ground.  Woo-hoo! (This really isn't a complaint...we're packing up my son to take him up to Mansfield tomorrow.  Looks like I'll see at least 3" on the ground up there tomorrow afternoon.)

With the winds having picked up there is actually some blowing snow right now.  I think my seasonal total is approaching 12".

Archived