joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models are really starting to show a nice snow event Tuesday for the lsv.  The euro is the driest model right now.  D.C might end up being in a good spot, it would be nice to see them get a good snow as well.

18z shows what could possibly be a 1-3/2-5 event for just about everybody in the region with exception to State College - Williamsport. It would be nice to get the LSV another good event and even the areas just west of the LSV - places like Mifflin/Snyder/Juniata/Perry  counties - places that have gotten some but have gotten fringed a good bit, too.

Up in the beautiful north country in Mansfield having successfully dropped off my 19 year-old son for the beginning of his first semester away from home. There's only about 2" of snow up here at the most which was a bit surprising. Glad we did this today and not 2 days from now when highs will be in the single digits with 10 below wind chills. It was bad enough today with 30 degrees and 20 mph winds! We are staying the night since part of the orientation is also for parents. Return late tomorrow afternoon.

I'm surprised CTP hasn't at least entertained mentioning this potential Tuesday system in the disco today. 21z SREF plumes have at least advisory criteria mean snowfall for places like Harrisburg, York and Lancaster (and thats after I axed out some of the really high outliers). Some of those high outliers are in excess of 20-30 inches. I want what the SREFs are having. 

I'm surprised CTP hasn't at least entertained mentioning this potential Tuesday system in the disco today. 21z SREF plumes have at least advisory criteria mean snowfall for places like Harrisburg, York and Lancaster (and thats after I axed out some of the really high outliers). Some of those high outliers are in excess of 20-30 inches. I want what the SREFs are having. 

GFS/RGEM and SREFS show warning snows over southern counties. 

MAG - any chance this north trend continues?

Perhaps, but I think the ceiling on how far north the good accumulating snows might reach could be about the I-80 corridor with the focus of heaviest near and below the turnpike. Likely going to depend on the positioning of the arctic boundary that this wave will be running along. It's progged to be a very cold storm, with the GFS for example having 850 temps between -10 to -15C for most of PA below I-80 and less than -15C above it. Given the temp gradient there could be a narrow corridor of significant accumulations where we match up the best forcing and precip. We still got at least a cycle of so of models left to hash this out, this wave had only really started to appear on models since early Sunday morning. Should be interesting, I mentioned this pattern about a week ago and how these types of lighter and moderate sized events might not show up on models until the short range or early mid range. 

GFS/RGEM and SREFS show warning snows over southern counties. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

435 AM EST MON JAN 20 2014

...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE ON TUESDAY...

.A FAST MOVING BUT POTENT WEATHER SYSTEM WILL BRING PERIODS OF

SNOW TO SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY EVENING.

THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF SIX INCHES OR MORE OF ACCUMULATION

ALONG THE MARYLAND BORDER AND INTO THE HARRISBURG METRO AREA.

PAZ033>036-057-059-063>066-201945-

/O.NEW.KCTP.WS.A.0001.140121T0900Z-140122T0300Z/

SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-DAUPHIN-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-

YORK-LANCASTER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG...

CHAMBERSBURG...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...LEBANON...CARLISLE...

GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER

435 AM EST MON JAN 20 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY

EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH

TUESDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL MAY BE SLOWED SIGNIFICANTLY DUE TO HEAVY SNOW.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...TEENS AND LOWER 20S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. FOR

THE LATEST WEATHER INFORMATION...GO TO WEATHER.GOV/CTP OR STAY

TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO.

Archived