Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weird thing is they have no snowfall map up. This seems fairly widespread. 

One cool thing about tonight is there could be a few good bands with at least moderate snow in them as they move through. 

i guess we will have to stay up late again  if we want to watch it fall. Another over nighter. Which i guess we will benefit from.

06 NAM went a little nutty back here, put down .32 of high-ratio qpf. Probably another night where I feel bad for the stray trucker that goes past our house and turns right to go up Port Matilda mountain when I'm out walking the dog. You likely know what I mean, although that one's a lot harder to deal with going down than coming up. 

06z GFS had what looked to be a more reasonable solution that still followed the same pattern as the NAM.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 3-4" reports somewhere in CPA if that comes to fruition.

06z GFS had what looked to be a more reasonable solution that still followed the same pattern as the NAM. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 3-4" reports somewhere in CPA if that comes to fruition.

Do you know where the surface reflection is to go in regards to our latittude. The LSV rarely sees much of anything from clippers unless we are north of the surface low. Thanks...

06z GFS had what looked to be a more reasonable solution that still followed the same pattern as the NAM.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 3-4" reports somewhere in CPA if that comes to fruition.

i would agree in the true CPA, but we in the LSV don't always do well with clippers. On a rare occasion!

The 06z GFS has conditionally unstable lapse rates from 600 to 700 mb around 00z tonight. This is a result of differential cold air advection as the cold air comes in quicker aloft. A secondary cold front approaches central PA around 06z Saturday along with a deepening 850 mb trough which will result in some frontgenetic forcing near the conditionally unstable layers. The GFS also has this lift in the region of dendritic snow growth so that will enhance snowfall rates as well.

Do you know where the surface reflection is to go in regards to our latittude. The LSV rarely sees much of anything from clippers unless we are north of the surface low. Thanks...

NAM looks to run one low from southern Indiana to about Erie before that washes out, and develops another low (about 1006-1008mb) running from about Hagerstown-Harrisburg-Binghamton.

The 06z GFS has conditionally unstable lapse rates from 600 to 700 mb around 00z tonight. This is a result of differential cold air advection as the cold air comes in quicker aloft. A secondary cold front approaches central PA around 06z Saturday along with a deepening 850 mb trough which will result in some frontgenetic forcing near the conditionally unstable layers. The GFS also has this lift in the region of dendritic snow growth so that will enhance snowfall rates as well.

Nice night of radar watching, it seems. 

Thank you! Sounds like a complicated setup. Expectations are low and hopes are high. :)

Best approach....

NWS Binghamton-- has put up wwa for most of our area, but skips the Wyoming valley area. it will be interesting to see.. we are on the border for meeting the 4 inch minimum for a WWA.

That's kind of strange since Mt Holly has Carbon and Monroe in an advisory as well.

Wow 18z Nam is wet.

For some people. Areas east of the Susquehanna look to get the shaft. Not that I really even want it to snow, but we just got upgraded to an advisory for 2-4 inches. Looking at the GFS and the NAM, neither look really good for areas outside of true central, though, so I don't know what State College is seeing.

Archived