joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likely outcome how tomorrow plays out. MAG reports snow first out in his place. Us north guys get slightly excited thinking its a little north. Yorkpa25 complains saying he cannot understand why they have a warning. It snows 1.4 inches in Port Matilda, Jamie says he's pleased for extra snow before cold. Harrisburg reports light snow, never really picks up and they get an inch or two. Meanwhile a death band develops over southern York and lancaster counties and yorkpa25 complains snow is too wet lol. I 83 is big winner in the end.

ha.....but you forgot sauss's scanner updates and mapgirl being run out of the Mid-Atlantic forum and taking refuge here. 

Likely outcome how tomorrow plays out. MAG reports snow first out in his place. Us north guys get slightly excited thinking its a little north. Yorkpa25 complains saying he cannot understand why they have a warning. It snows 1.4 inches in Port Matilda, Jamie says he's pleased for extra snow before cold. Harrisburg reports light snow, never really picks up and they get an inch or two. Meanwhile a death band develops over southern York and lancaster counties and yorkpa25 complains snow is too wet lol. I 83 is big winner in the end.

:lol:

The main difference between the Euro and GFS solutions seems to be in the initial conditions. The shortwave currently over the Dakotas has a slightly stronger temperature gradient at 850 mb in the Euro depiction vs. the GFS. This allows the wave to deepen a bit more and sharpen the 500 mb trough resulting in a farther south development of the surface low. The surface low is also weaker on the Euro because the 500 mb vorticity is less consolidated and in a less favorable position relative the 850 mb temperature advection couplet.

Either way though, it looks like UNV and north is unlikely to see any significant snowfall accumulations.

+1

ha.....but you forgot sauss's scanner updates and mapgirl being run out of the Mid-Atlantic forum and taking refuge here. 

+2

my largest event so far has been 4.3" from January 2nd-3rd. It would be nice to beat that.

Honestly PSUHaz, we probably see nothing. The north end of these deals tends to dry out to the point where precip. barely falls. But, you are right, NYC looks to get smoked again.

Yep, that will give them two big events for the season, and it looks like they'll have more snow for the season than us soon enough.

Honestly PSUHaz, we probably see nothing. The north end of these deals tends to dry out to the point where precip. barely falls. But, you are right, NYC looks to get smoked again.

You forgot Wmsptwx overdoes the dry air factor. 

Which also means Wmsptwx forgot the part where I complain about how NYC gets every big event... :P

But seriously, every winter since 2008-09 has featured I-95 getting nailed by a big event while we're watching tiny dustflakes fall under broken cloud cover...no one in that region should be complaining.

Let's face it, the days of a big one for everybody (Christmas 2002,  PD2, 93, 96, etc) are gone. It's either you land in the best snowfalls or bust.

But seriously, every winter since 2008-09 has featured I-95 getting nailed by a big event while we're watching tiny dustflakes fall under broken cloud cover...no one in that region should be complaining.

Let's face it, the days of a big one for everybody (Christmas 2002,  PD2, 93, 96, etc) are gone. It's either you land in the best snowfalls or bust.

OMG IT WILL NEVER SNOW AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Euro has not been doing well in this northern stream dominated winter, with regards to H5 placements and surface reflections. The last arctic boundary-defined storm was picked up well by the American suite, while the Euro took until 12-24 hours out until it caved.

As they say, "trend is your friend", and the trends are going north with the best omega. 

Which also means Wmsptwx forgot the part where I complain about how NYC gets every big event... :P

i learned a long time ago," there is never a never and never an always"

For warning criteria snow, 6'+, UNV and NYC are tied over that timeframe, 8-to-8. So, yeah, NYC can't complain. 

Really, we don't have much to complain about either. But some of us make it abundantly clear that it's not about getting snow, it's about whining and finding anything that can go wrong, and let's not beat around the bush....it's reflective of something about that person that's ****ed up beyond just the weather. 

Archived