Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm awaiting your thoughts!

I havnt really followed close all weekend (been fighting onset of sinus infection... lovely i know...) and after 12z runs yesterday I wasnt expecting to see anything more than maybe a dusting to an inch so was quite surprised to wake up this morning to a winter storm watch... looking back from 12z today to even 12z yesterday the trends in all models have been quite favorable for another good snowfall for nearly all of us here... I do remember similar set ups in the past that looked promising but then the dry air killed how far north the precip shield managed to progress or system moved through too quickly with only near 10:1 rates... but the way this winter has gone with many overachieving storms already and the way the trends are going over the last 24 hours I am excited to see how much this one will bring.  Similar to the one storm earlier in the year I think there will be a band of heavy snow developing as the system strengthens off the coast... just a matter of will the york area win with totals again or will it be further south or even further north?... Tomorrow is also the climatological peak of winter so will be nice to track snow... I do think 4-6" is a pretty safe forecast right now for the Harrisburg region with 5-7" for York/Lancaster... all of the precip will not fall at 20:1 ratios but at least half of it should with the way the temperature profiles look

also when wmsptwx posted the summary of what all will happen he forgot to add that someone will ask where Zak is after two hours without an update during the peak of the event only to have Zak post a video an hour later of him finding the band with 2"/hr rates right by his house :-)

I havnt really followed close all weekend (been fighting onset of sinus infection... lovely i know...) and after 12z runs yesterday I wasnt expecting to see anything more than maybe a dusting to an inch so was quite surprised to wake up this morning to a winter storm watch... looking back from 12z today to even 12z yesterday the trends in all models have been quite favorable for another good snowfall for nearly all of us here... I do remember similar set ups in the past that looked promising but then the dry air killed how far north the precip shield managed to progress or system moved through too quickly with only near 10:1 rates... but the way this winter has gone with many overachieving storms already and the way the trends are going over the last 24 hours I am excited to see how much this one will bring.  Similar to the one storm earlier in the year I think there will be a band of heavy snow developing as the system strengthens off the coast... just a matter of will the york area win with totals again or will it be further south or even further north?... Tomorrow is also the climatological peak of winter so will be nice to track snow... I do think 4-6" is a pretty safe forecast right now for the Harrisburg region with 5-7" for York/Lancaster... all of the precip will not fall at 20:1 ratios but at least half of it should with the way the temperature profiles look

also when wmsptwx posted the summary of what all will happen he forgot to add that someone will ask where Zak is after two hours without an update during the peak of the event only to have Zak post a video an hour later of him finding the band with 2"/hr rates right by his house :-)

good stuff thanks

Hahaha true djr great write up as always btw. Any thoughts on nam?

I never put much weight on the 6z or 18z NAM because it doesnt have nearly as much new input data as 0z and 12z do... 18z runs of the NAM are often less convective than the 12z run so that is why precip totals often drop a little... I wouldnt worry based on what it has verbatim

LOL. 

CTP forcast for here.

Tuesday Snow showers. High near 20. North wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Guess they will catch this but went from snow heavy at times to snow showers. that's a lot of snow for snow showers.

Archived