• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 11-12 Rain Soaker

Baroclinic Zone

It seems like everyone's gone soft this year, roads were closed during a run in the mill snowstorm and many schools were closed during the last cold snap, roads are salted daily and I actually heard someone say that global warming forced the Polar Vortex away from it's usual nesting grounds, the north pole :)

As goes Connecticut, so goes the world. 

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like everyone's gone soft this year, roads were closed during a run in the mill snowstorm and many schools were closed during the last cold snap, roads are salted daily and I actually heard someone say that global warming forced the Polar Vortex away from it's usual nesting grounds, the north pole :)

Yeah I just heard an on air met say the "polar vortex thaw" causing all this flooding across the east coast including FL. LOL. This field is a joke sometimes.

That sounds impossible.

Remember they got 1" of ZR and 2" of sleet in there. That wasn't 4" of snow. It was essentially trying to melt 4" of pond ice in 24 hours.

Over here I only lost about 2" maybe 3" and I didn't have the freezing rain they did in that Xmas event.

My yard is still covered but there's water on top of the "snow". It's not even snow after the four rainstorms we've had...it's literally 3" of gray ice on the yard with water on top and some areas of white where the water isn't ponding.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything like it. Lots of above normal precip and below normal cold, and mostly rain. My stake still has 3-4" at it but it's 3" of clear ice with a little white on top. You could ice skate in the yard once the standing water on top freezes.

As goes Connecticut, so goes the world. 

Last week I heard the Mass. Governor release state employees and ask private employers to do the same - I didn't hear that from CT.  :P  But I agree...the trend is for all of America to become weather wimps

Some small ice patches left here where I had piles of snow.  If I had better snow cover before yesterday, I suppose I'd have more.

Remember they got 1" of ZR and 2" of sleet in there. That wasn't 4" of snow. It was essentially trying to melt 4" of pond ice in 24 hours.

Over here I only lost about 2" maybe 3" and I didn't have the freezing rain they did in that Xmas event.

My yard is still covered but there's water on top of the "snow". It's not even snow after the four rainstorms we've had...it's literally 3" of gray ice on the yard with water on top and some areas of white where the water isn't ponding.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything like it. Lots of above normal precip and below normal cold, and mostly rain. My stake still has 3-4" at it but it's 3" of clear ice with a little white on top. You could ice skate in the yard once the standing water on top freezes.

Yeah I suppose. I'm just a little surprised hours of 50s and heavy rain didn't melt more. Seems hard to believe, but who knows.

If the temp got above 32 last night it wasn't by much, as the trees still carry most of the ice that had accreted yesterday.  Just under 1" precip, some IP early but ZR/RA for the most part, and the armorplate merely got thicker.  Just like the last cutter, it seems that the Oxford/Franklin/Somerset foothills were the CAD capital.  Rivers are rising, but I don't think it will be enough to run the ice, fortunately.

Yeah I suppose. I'm just a little surprised hours of 50s and heavy rain didn't melt more. Seems hard to believe, but who knows.

Normally that would be a fatal event, but there's probably like 3" of QPF in 4" of "snow." I've never seen this much water and frozen water on the ground. That ground must be rock hard as every time it rains, it just pools on top and then freezes again.

To be honest it would be nice to drain this or melt it away and start fresh for the epic second half of winter.

What a difference a 1/4 mile makes. I just took a walk--the ones with a wintry look were taken within .25 and .5 miles from the Pit, about 150' below The sad brown ones were taken here at the Pit. I'm sure Chris' place looks even more wintry.

35.3/28

Those are fascinating pictures, MPM. Thanks for those. What a difference in overall "appeal."

There's a pretty marked difference in temps over that same distance on radiational cooling nights, too.

That said, I'll take the hilltop over the lower spot from a general weather perspective.

my trip to GC really opened my eyes to the magical glens that exist. I know there are micro climates every where but the proximity in GC is startling.

Archived