• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

First PDS watch for blizzard conditions. I've never seen anything like this.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

1251 PM EST TUE JAN 7 2014

NYZ010>012-085-072100-

NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF…BUFFALO…BATAVIA…WARSAW…

ORCHARD PARK…SPRINGVILLE

1251 PM EST TUE JAN 7 2014

…BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NIAGARA FRONTIER …

ZERO VISIBILITY WITH WIND GUSTS TO 47 MPH WERE REPORTED AT THE

AIRPORT JUST AFTER 12 PM THIS AFTERNOON

…THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION…

BLINDING SNOW…WHITE OUT CONDITIONS…AND DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND

CHILLS TO 20 BELOW SHOULD BE EXPECTED IN THE BAND THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON. A CASUAL DRIVE OR TRIP OUTSIDE CAN QUICKLY LEAD TO A

LIFE THREATENING SITUATION WITHOUT PROPER WINTER GEAR.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAS LIKELY REACHED ITS FURTHEST NORTHERN

EXTENT…AND SHOULD START TO DRIFT A LITTLE TO THE SOUTH THIS

AFTERNOON. EXPECT A CONTINUATION OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN AND

AROUND THE BAND FROM THE NORTHTOWNS TO THE SOUTHTOWNS AS WELL AS

THROUGHOUT MUCH OF GENESEE COUNTY. CONDITIONS ACROSS NORTHERN

WYOMING COUNTY WILL WORSEN AGAIN LATER THIS AFTERNOON AS THE BAND

BEGINS TO HEAD SOUTH.

Wow, PDS Blizzard warning, never seen one of those before.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said many a time that it's a different world up here and kinda hard to put into words sometimes... sounds trite almost.....

just a hardy bunch of people... I received around 10.5". I do very well in W, wnw, and of course that nnw flow that hooks us up with Superior. This season I have some real good wsw flow events as well. the fetch is pretty long that way... more than anything it's been the visibility this go around that has been remarkable. Through all the wind and snow, the roads have remained clear as far as I can tell.... just another day in paradise!

One my way into work this morning C38 was pretty bad until I hit Antrim county then it was plowed, probably had 5-6 inches in the road which of course wasn't a big deal but then you have the ruts which make sit a little tougher. Biggest issue was the viz ability, down to zero in some spots.

One my way into work this morning C38 was pretty bad until I hit Antrim county then it was plowed, probably had 5-6 inches in the road which of course wasn't a big deal but then you have the ruts which make sit a little tougher. Biggest issue was the viz ability, down to zero in some spots.

yep... visibility has been the worst from this event.

today between Ellsworth and Charlevoix

Also interesting to note how people want snow so bad and when they finally get it, they realize it isn't always so fun. Continous Winter and snow is hard even on the biggest snow lovers. In a week, I will have had a constant snow cover for 2 months straight and probably will another 3. Come Spring, I am cabin fevered bad.... but it is what it is.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. My first thought when I saw the original thread post was "crap!" and I was really hoping for a bust low, but somehow I just knew that we were going to get hit hard.

You are definitely "snowbelt" up there... I lived in Grayling and on Otsego Lake, so I know how treacherous winter can be up there with no ATV or sled. Flint is more of an "occasionally buried" scenario. We don't usually have resources to clean up over 8" of snow very well. We do "okay" with less, but more is pretty crippling here, and especially with a wind/cold scenario like we experienced. 

And extreme weather isn't all that fun when it starts tearing your stuff up... we've had several basement floods (mostly due to lack of check valve on the storm sewer line from the sump pump, which has since been plugged with concrete!) and the winds back before Thanksgiving tore the siding off the west side of the house, just for starters.

I can so relate to the cabin fever...  

If I had went into a weeklong coma and woke up this morning, I would have thought we had an 18" snowstorm last night, not an 11" & 10" snowstorm, the last of which had ended over 24 hours ago. Accidents everywhere, people getting stuck, plowed roads a sheet of impassable ice, traffic crawling....its a tundra alright. This mroning offered to take friend to work, and the car door froze shut and he had to crawl through the drivers side. Oh, and I will have to shovel for about the 6th time since sunday as about 6-8" of HARD PACKED snow was drifted against my car. Still have blowing and drifting snow.

most of the lake effect events like that, the snow is much lighter in nature than what you probably received.... and it still amazes me how a place can get 10-12" and still be paralyzed days later. Most snow belts are equipped to deal with heavy snowfalls. A couple weeks ago, the school system I work in, East Jordan got 11.5" of snow overnight and still had school the next day. The Tug is more than likely taxed a bit but dealing just fine.

That's funny Bo, my wife and I were discussing the same thing the other night, its just a different world up here.  My family was saying how the grocery stores were empty, people were preparing for the apocalypse or something. We received about 18" that same day as East Jordan got about a 12", the next morning all Gaylord schools were open still, the county had the roads cleared by 4:00 it was pretty remarkable. as you said though that was all LES which was very light, and easy to move and plow and also drive in. The heavy wet snow on the other hand is a nightmare to remove and drive in.

Looks like my area picked up between 8-9 inches Since Sunday, looks like you may have received a little more, the West flow doesn't really do much for my area in Southwester Otsego county, really need a WNW or NW wind that can also tap Lake Superior.

I've said many a time that it's a different world up here and kinda hard to put into words sometimes... sounds trite almost.....just a hardy bunch of people... I received around 10.5". I do very well in W, wnw, and of course that nnw flow that hooks us up with Superior. This season I have some real good wsw flow events as well. the fetch is pretty long that way... more than anything it's been the visibility this go around that has been remarkable. Through all the wind and snow, the roads have remained clear as far as I can tell.... just another day in paradise!

I have thought about the exact same things you guys have. Muskegon obviously isn't as rural as your areas, but my first year here shocked me, as we would get a foot of snow and schools and businesses would be open as usual. In PA, where I grew up, people would whine if the roads had a couple inches on them. Here, snow on the roads is just another part of life. Sure, there are those who fuss about everything...but many people here love the recreation and opportunities that winter brings. I have even met other people like me who think the average 100 inches a season is not enough! Haha. I would love to live up in your areas of the state...if there were more job opportunities.

Nicky, your driveway does not look like it would be fun to go up when it is covered in ice or wet snow. "Full speed ahead" at the bottom? :P

If I had went into a weeklong coma and woke up this morning, I would have thought we had an 18" snowstorm last night, not an 11" & 10" snowstorm, the last of which had ended over 24 hours ago. Accidents everywhere, people getting stuck, plowed roads a sheet of impassable ice, traffic crawling....its a tundra alright. This mroning offered to take friend to work, and the car door froze shut and he had to crawl through the drivers side. Oh, and I will have to shovel for about the 6th time since sunday as about 6-8" of HARD PACKED snow was drifted against my car. Still have blowing and drifting snow.

Was just talking to Tim about this...this seems to be at least as impactful as the Feb 2007 blizzard here.  I think the 1-2 punch with the snow and the extreme cold is the difference maker locally...it was cold after the 2007 storm but not like this.

When I was at Mich Tech I loved winter Nov-March ... April was just PAINFUL when everyone was getting warm & t-storms in the nation and we would be dealing with another Snowstorm!!  Heck my first year at Tech a snowstorm hit the central & western UP on May 10th (some places had 27" from it)!!!

Right now I am loving here with all the snow.  It is a bit too cold out to go out and enjoy but these extremes will be over soon enough.  Fun plans are being made now once we get back into the teens and lose these nasty wind chills!!!

The Toronto Raptors NBA game tonight against the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis is a go as the Raptors managed to fly into IND airport a couple of hours ago. They were supposed to fly out of Miami to Indy Sunday night. They tried again yesterday, but with no success. Hopefully the Raptors are not affected as they have to play another game tomorrow here in Toronto against the Detroit Pistons.

The Toronto Raptors NBA game tonight against the Indiana Pacers in Indianapolis is a go as the Raptors managed to fly into IND airport a couple of hours ago. They were supposed to fly out of Miami to Indy Sunday night. They tried again yesterday, but with no success. Hopefully the Raptors are not affected as they have to play another game tomorrow here in Toronto against the Detroit Pistons.

Good. I had heard this morning that they still weren't in Indy. Probably won't be a pleasant stop for them here though. :D

Getting a few flakes starting to fly as a small little vort is making its way though.

Good. I had heard this morning that they still weren't in Indy. Probably won't be a pleasant stop for them here though. :D

Getting a few flakes starting to fly as a small little vort is making its way though.

After what happened last Wednesday in Toronto, I'm sure the Pacers are smelling revenge tonight. It'll be interesting to see how the Raptors respond, especially considering most NBA players have a typical game day routine which usually involves having an afternoon nap at the hotel room or at their own homes.

Roads are a glaciated nightmare. Parking lots are better. Most businesses are still closed around here. Snapped some shots from work and then at the hospital nearby. Snow piles at the hospital, probably the biggest I've ever seen here.

attachicon.gifJan 7 2014 snow work.jpeg

attachicon.gifJan 7 2014 Snow piles #3.JPG

attachicon.gifJan 7 2014 snow piles #5.jpeg

attachicon.gifJan 7 2014 snow piles #2.jpeg

Nice pics.  You said it best about the roads.  Just found out that my sister is likely going to have her baby this evening.  Under normal circumstances I might've made the drive to Lake county but it's just not feasible at this point.  I heard that I-65 was reopened but they are advising people to not use it unless it's an emergency, and a bunch of other roads remain closed.  One way trip to Lake county would take like 5 hours I bet.   

I wonder if this could get as bad as the January 1977 blizzard in Buffalo?

Not even close. It won't be worse than 1985 either. It is slowly climbing into my top 3-5 snowstorms of my life however. 1977 will be the worse storm in this area in history. Nothing can match what happened in that storm. Drifts were higher than light-posts in the middle of the street. The 2nd floors of houses were burried. You could literally walk off your roof onto snowbanks.

A few Videos I took on my long walk around 3 this afternoon. Actually got pulled over by the police while on this 4 mile walk asking me WDF I was doing. Told him I was a huge weather enthusiast documenting the blizzard. He said be careful and pretty much advised me to go back home. ^_^  Enjoy!

4 foot drifts in this video next to a fence

Overlooking the NYS thruway

NYS Thruway looking West & Eastbound

Nice pics.  You said it best about the roads.  Just found out that my sister is likely going to have her baby this evening.  Under normal circumstances I might've made the drive to Lake county but it's just not feasible at this point.  I heard that I-65 was reopened but they are advising people to not use it unless it's an emergency, and a bunch of other roads remain closed.  One way trip to Lake county would take like 5 hours I bet.   

Wonderful news. I hope everything goes well with the birth. :)

And yeah, probably a good call about sitting tight. I'm not hearing good things about the condition of I-65. I was supposed to go back to IKK early this past Saturday for a funeral, but decided against it with blowing and drifting that was occurring then. Not sure I would've been able to be back here yet if I would've gone. 

awesome videos Buffalo! you are a true snow lover! looks amazing there... enjoy

Thanks! I love watching videos of epic winter conditions. I also watch all videos posted from your guys events over here so please keep them coming! The conditions on the thruway south of buffalo has been a complete whiteout for nearly 30 straight hours. I don't think I've we've had these snowfall rates with these kind of winds. 50 MPH gusts for 40+ straight hours for quite some time. We just surpassed 20 inches from this event so far and another 6-12 predicted by tomorrow afternoon.

Not even close. It won't be worse than 1985 either. It is slowly climbing into my top 3-5 snowstorms of my life however. 1977 will be the worse storm in this area in history. Nothing can match what happened in that storm. Drifts were higher than light-posts in the middle of the street. The 2nd floors of houses were burried. You could literally walk off your roof onto snowbanks.

Why was that storm so bad? What was the set-up for it?

Archived