• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

Snowing here pretty good as well, NWS updated forecast for another 4 inches tonight with another 2-3 tomorrow. More than I was expecting might have to fire up the snowblower again.

Yesterday I was expecting 8-12"..... probably after all is said and done, going to near the top of that. Hvy snow here since before dark.... notice winds are picking up as well.... this fine snow takes a bit to accumulate, but doesn't have the settle factor normal le fluff does.... going to be nearing 30" snow depth in the morning if this keeps up.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad forecast...In addition to the near foot of snow we have already received.

• Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -3. Wind chill values as low as -30. Windy, with a west wind 24 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 10 to 15 inches possible.

• Tuesday Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 6. Wind chill values as low as -30. Windy, with a southwest wind 24 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 15 inches possible.

• Tuesday Night Snow before 3am, then snow likely after 3am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 2. Wind chill values as low as -20. Windy, with a southwest wind 24 to 29 mph decreasing to 18 to 23 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 7 inches possible.

• Wednesday Snow showers likely, mainly before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -20. Southwest wind 14 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Nice pics. Where was the last taken at, with the jack knifed truck?

Not sure of exact location.  My buddy was out plowing for the county highway department this morning and he took that last pic.  He was on the east side of the county.

Btw, congrats on your snow. My brother lives in Indy and says it's a mess there.

Two photos from my balcony from 8pm as we were under a persistent LES band. Visibility was well below 100 metres for about an hour straight as we has LES and 60-70kmh wind gusts. Conditions have eased by now, but we experienced whiteouts for about 4 hours.

The apartment building on the left is only 98 metres away (calculated via google maps app)

post-277-0-76557500-1389074449_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-08068700-1389074455_thumb.jpg

It's times like these that make me despise our local road commission. I live on a 1.5 mile stretch of road between 2 main roads that are constantly plowed. Yet we are always the last ones to get plowed out in the area

As it stands right now, we are snowed in (no 4 wheel drive vehicles) and our road impassable. I walked out to the road and I could see 4-5 foot drifts

It's times like these that make me despise our local road commission. I live on a 1.5 mile stretch of road between 2 main roads that are constantly plowed. Yet we are always the last ones to get plowed out in the area

As it stands right now, we are snowed in (no 4 wheel drive vehicles) and our road impassable. I walked out to the road and I could see 4-5 foot drifts

Our street is plowed, but I don't think it was the RC that plowed it. It was cleared way too early, considering they haven't had trucks out.

Still stuck out here, but it sounds like there's no place to go anyway. Spent a good portion of yesterday without power. Feels good to be warm again. Some pics from western Clinton County

Wow...very impressive. Very happy to hear your power has been restored. Stay safe...and hopefully you'll get dug out soon.

Bucket List: I need to expierence a tug hills LES event.

Carthage,NY getting pounded. 30"+ probably today alone.

Unreal. I personally don't know that I'd want to experience that. Our 17+ is more than I can deal with right now... there's over 2' of road slurry from the plow covering the last 15' of my driveway. My little electric snowblower should have a Tonka logo on it. It literally was like, ram it into it, watch about an inch worth of it shoot out the tube before it stopped dead. Naturally, no matter what direction I put the chute in, it dumped right on me. After five minutes pounding the crap out if it, I might have cleared a 1'x3' chunk out of it. I'd break all my snow shovels, and more than likely, myself, trying to shovel it. Time to call in reinforcements!

And OMG, it's so bright out there it gives you an instant headcache. I'd have worn sunglasses, but they'd frost up in about 8 seconds out there. Heck, they probably would have froze to my face. I lasted about 25 minutes out there before I had to abort the mission, because it's *^# +   &^&$#%*  &^$%^*% cold as #% out there!

I wanna move to Belize!

Unreal. I personally don't know that I'd want to experience that. Our 17+ is more than I can deal with right now... there's over 2' of road slurry from the plow covering the last 15' of my driveway. My little electric snowblower should have a Tonka logo on it. It literally was like, ram it into it, watch about an inch worth of it shoot out the tube before it stopped dead. Naturally, no matter what direction I put the chute in, it dumped right on me. After five minutes pounding the crap out if it, I might have cleared a 1'x3' chunk out of it. I'd break all my snow shovels, and more than likely, myself, trying to shovel it. Time to call in reinforcements!

And OMG, it's so bright out there it gives you an instant headcache. I'd have worn sunglasses, but they'd frost up in about 8 seconds out there. Heck, they probably would have froze to my face. I lasted about 25 minutes out there before I had to abort the mission, because it's *^# +   &^&$#%*  &^$%^*% cold as #% out there!

I wanna move to Belize!

most of the lake effect events like that, the snow is much lighter in nature than what you probably received.... and it still amazes me how a place can get 10-12" and still be paralyzed days later. Most snow belts are equipped to deal with heavy snowfalls. A couple weeks ago, the school system I work in, East Jordan got 11.5" of snow overnight and still had school the next day. The Tug is more than likely taxed a bit but dealing just fine.

I wanna move to Belize!

Also interesting to note how people want snow so bad and when they finally get it, they realize it isn't always so fun. Continous Winter and snow is hard even on the biggest snow lovers. In a week, I will have had a constant snow cover for 2 months straight and probably will another 3. Come Spring, I am cabin fevered bad.... but it is what it is.

most of the lake effect events like that, the snow is much lighter in nature than what you probably received.... and it still amazes me how a place can get 10-12" and still be paralyzed days later. Most snow belts are equipped to deal with heavy snowfalls. A couple weeks ago, the school system I work in, East Jordan got 11.5" of snow overnight and still had school the next day. The Tug is more than likely taxed a bit but dealing just fine.

That's funny Bo, my wife and I were discussing the same thing the other night, its just a different world up here.  My family was saying how the grocery stores were empty, people were preparing for the apocalypse or something. We received about 18" that same day as East Jordan got about a 12", the next morning all Gaylord schools were open still, the county had the roads cleared by 4:00 it was pretty remarkable. as you said though that was all LES which was very light, and easy to move and plow and also drive in. The heavy wet snow on the other hand is a nightmare to remove and drive in.

Looks like my area picked up between 8-9 inches Since Sunday, looks like you may have received a little more, the West flow doesn't really do much for my area in Southwester Otsego county, really need a WNW or NW wind that can also tap Lake Superior. 

First PDS watch for blizzard conditions. I've never seen anything like this.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
1251 PM EST TUE JAN 7 2014

NYZ010>012-085-072100-
NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF…BUFFALO…BATAVIA…WARSAW…
ORCHARD PARK…SPRINGVILLE

1251 PM EST TUE JAN 7 2014

…BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NIAGARA FRONTIER …

ZERO VISIBILITY WITH WIND GUSTS TO 47 MPH WERE REPORTED AT THE
AIRPORT JUST AFTER 12 PM THIS AFTERNOON

…THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION…

BLINDING SNOW…WHITE OUT CONDITIONS…AND DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND
CHILLS TO 20 BELOW SHOULD BE EXPECTED IN THE BAND THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON. A CASUAL DRIVE OR TRIP OUTSIDE CAN QUICKLY LEAD TO A
LIFE THREATENING SITUATION WITHOUT PROPER WINTER GEAR.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAS LIKELY REACHED ITS FURTHEST NORTHERN
EXTENT…AND SHOULD START TO DRIFT A LITTLE TO THE SOUTH THIS
AFTERNOON. EXPECT A CONTINUATION OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN AND
AROUND THE BAND FROM THE NORTHTOWNS TO THE SOUTHTOWNS AS WELL AS
THROUGHOUT MUCH OF GENESEE COUNTY. CONDITIONS ACROSS NORTHERN
WYOMING COUNTY WILL WORSEN AGAIN LATER THIS AFTERNOON AS THE BAND
BEGINS TO HEAD SOUTH.

Erie County has nearly a million people living here. When events like this happen here it makes a much larger impact than the population of a few hundred people in the Tug or in Northern Michigan. Buffalo has the best snow clearing procedures in the entire USA. Buffalo is the snowiest city with a population above 250,000

919,086 (2012)
Erie County, Population

That's funny Bo, my wife and I were discussing the same thing the other night, its just a different world up here.  My family was saying how the grocery stores were empty, people were preparing for the apocalypse or something. We received about 18" that same day as East Jordan got about a 12", the next morning all Gaylord schools were open still, the county had the roads cleared by 4:00 it was pretty remarkable. as you said though that was all LES which was very light, and easy to move and plow and also drive in. The heavy wet snow on the other hand is a nightmare to remove and drive in.

Looks like my area picked up between 8-9 inches Since Sunday, looks like you may have received a little more, the West flow doesn't really do much for my area in Southwester Otsego county, really need a WNW or NW wind that can also tap Lake Superior.

I've said many a time that it's a different world up here and kinda hard to put into words sometimes... sounds trite almost.....

just a hardy bunch of people... I received around 10.5". I do very well in W, wnw, and of course that nnw flow that hooks us up with Superior. This season I have some real good wsw flow events as well. the fetch is pretty long that way... more than anything it's been the visibility this go around that has been remarkable. Through all the wind and snow, the roads have remained clear as far as I can tell.... just another day in paradise!

Erie County has nearly a million people living here. When events like this happen here it makes a much larger impact than the population of a few hundred people in the Tug or in Northern Michigan. Buffalo has the best snow clearing procedures in the entire USA. Buffalo is the snowiest city with a population above 250,000

919,086 (2012)

Erie County, Population

Can't imagine the resources it takes to keep a city that size cleared in an epic event like this. Buffalo is use to dealing and will deal with this better than say Detroit receiving 10".

Here it's very rural and people are use to driving on snow covered roads. a pass or two during the day is all that's usually done, except in village limits where they do a lot better.

It was painful today. I finished in 30 mins than back inside w/the dogs....;)

I wanna move to Belize!

post-2502-0-45939600-1389120059_thumb.jppost-2502-0-94411000-1389120220_thumb.jp

Archived