• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

Why was that storm so bad? What was the set-up for it?

It was the first snowstorm in history that got the federal government involved in the clean up work. In my opinion it is the worst snowstorm in the history of anywhere in the United States with a population of over 50k. If there was ever a storm to research the blizzard of 1977 in Buffalo is the storm to do it on. Google the storm images from that storm, you will not believe your eyes.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tad over 23 inches here as the total for this event. We had 12 straight hours from 5 PM Monday to 5 AM Tuesday with 1-2 inches of snow per hour. Following that we had 24 straight hours, aside from a few hours Tuesday Morning of .5-1 inch per hour snowfall rates. We were between -5-10 degrees for the duration of this event. Winds were sustained at 20-40 MPH with gusts over 50 MPH during the heart of the event Monday Night. All in all an absolutely incredible storm. Looking forward to the warmth coming up, that cold was to much, and my heating bills are going to be ridiculous this month. ^_^

The storm went on to achieve a central pressure of 940 mbs around 00z 8th in the southeast Baffin Island region, and during the approach to Iqualuit (the capital of Nunavut) winds were recorded at NE 60-85 mph (peak gusts near 150 km/hr) which the media report have caused structural damage in the town. Observations further west at Cape Dorset show heavy snow for a number of hours. The storm is beginning to fill today although winds are generally in the 40-50 mph range around the circulation. The strong arctic front is now about halfway across the Atlantic after bringing further power failures in Newfoundland (already hard hit by strong winds earlier in the month).

A tad over 23 inches here as the total for this event. We had 12 straight hours from 5 PM Monday to 5 AM Tuesday with 1-2 inches of snow per hour. Following that we had 24 straight hours, aside from a few hours Tuesday Morning of .5-1 inch per hour snowfall rates. We were between -5-10 degrees for the duration of this event. Winds were sustained at 20-40 MPH with gusts over 50 MPH during the heart of the event Monday Night. All in all an absolutely incredible storm. Looking forward to the warmth coming up, that cold was to much, and my heating bills are going to be ridiculous this month. ^_^

Originally from the east coast, gotta love those events where in persistent defo bands you end up with 1-3 inch per hour rates for 12 hours straight. The only difference is we get them every 5 years, and in lake effect land you get them 5 times per year! (well, not really, but you get the point).

Ice storm cleanup costs are currently at least $250 million in Ontario.

$106 million in Toronto.

$51 million in Brampton.

$25 million in Mississauga.

$340,000 for only tree cleanup in Kitchener/Waterloo.

No one seems to know where this money is coming from since there are few disaster assistance programs in Ontario, and many municipalities do not have emergency disaster reserves, etc. They're already talking raising taxes to pay for the damage. Toronto alone would have to double its property taxes. Why there are no plans in place to pay for disasters is beyond me. 

Ice storm cleanup costs are currently at least $250 million in Ontario.

$106 million in Toronto.

$51 million in Brampton.

$25 million in Mississauga.

$340,000 for only tree cleanup in Kitchener/Waterloo.

No one seems to know where this money is coming from since there are few disaster assistance programs in Ontario, and many municipalities do not have emergency disaster reserves, etc. They're already talking raising taxes to pay for the damage. Toronto alone would have to double its property taxes. Why there are no plans in place to pay for disasters is beyond me. 

Wrong thread but anyways, that sucks. I haven't heard about hiking property taxes but in Toronto they were thinking about jacking up electricity rates to pay for the damage to power lines. In either case, my thinking is that these are empty threats by the municipalities to get the province to pick up the lion's share of the tab.

Archived