Newest Member
    Toothache
January 3-6th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lmao:  :weenie:

Ha me a weenie? I'm not the one trying to ride on a outlier model for my backyard. Plus I've talked to area mets who are saying to almost completely discredit the model. It's way too far west and has been inconsistent, opposed to others which have been steady in bringing it around Dayton/Cincy and over east of Cleveland

Beer, wings, pretzels, World of Tanks on the PC for me, and Minecraft on the Xbox for the kiddies.... Was out shopping at Sam's and at the grocery store.  Complete and utter pandemonium.  You would think some of these people had never been snowed on, and add to that, some of them were packing a full load of rude.  Driving?  Are you kidding?  Either overly cautious, or not caring at all, those were the only two kinds of drivers on the road this afternoon.

- Otherwise, snow is coming down moderately,  Coating the roads and such.  only a few tenths down right now, but it will get worse.  30 degrees, with SW winds @ 9. 

You know has anyone looked at the contour maps from the January 31, 1982 storm? This one IMO looks identical to it and the pattern is extremely similar, the only difference is the PV on this one is stronger

1982_jan_31_snowfall_contour.gif

IMO because of a stronger high diving in this one should be a tad more westerly than the current picture is showing, but nevertheless history shows what storms like this usually do, and discredits some of these extreme NW shifts even moreso

01_31_1982_12z_Surface_Temp_SLP.png

This is a really neat find. I was only 20 months old at the time, but I've seen pictures from that storm. Toronto apparently got a fair amount of snow out of it. I know I'm likely grasping at straws, and I'm still going for 2-3" for YYZ.

Flake size is tiny right now; hopefully that increases with time.  The snow is considerably heavier than the last event so far.

I use to hear an old weather proverb many years ago: "little snow, big snow; big snow little snow" I guess meaning, many times large flakes are in heavy but short bursts and short duration type events. But little flakes many times are from the longer big storm type events.

Snow has become pretty light here as well Justin.  Back edge is almost here.  With the last few HRRR runs bumping things a bit further southeast than earlier runs it's looking like the Euro/GFS will win out in this area.  Looking like DVN made the right choice going with no advisory for the metro. 

Archived