EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
1/5/14 thru 1/6/14 event

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lights starting to flicker... No, nothing like that.... however I think I did a great job with the topic starting post I did during the blizzard.  I had too cold and too much ZR, though KJFK is having problems with it now.  The 6-10 inch snowcover is setting up in-situ damming temporarily for the coast, with 30/28 air on ground level.   Must be 35-40, around 5,000 feet up.  To the folks on the ground it is more like in-situ damning

Ice skating rink here in Western Nassau at 31.3 and freezing rain. The pavement is as slick as

it was during the Groundhog Day storm in 2011.

slick as sh*t out there, be careful... Hopefully it gets to 33 soon on western LI.  Just a fart off the Atlantic, would do that now.  Must be just above freezing in  SE Nassau, as  powerlines have droplets falling, and car windows don't look foggy, as can see the car seats through it.

slick as sh*t out there, be careful... Hopefully it gets to 33 soon on south shore LI.  Just a fart off the Atlantic, would do that now.

I am currently at 31.8 just north of the Southern State with light freezing rain continuing. Even when we eventually bump above 

freezing, the ground will stay slick for a while as the snowpack is keeping the ground colder.

I am currently at 31.8 just north of the Southern State with light freezing rain continuing. Even when we eventually bump above 

freezing, the ground will stay slick for a while as the snowpack is keeping the ground colder.

You'll know its over once the 100-150 foot conifer tree tops start swaying in 10-20mph gusts, the SSE wind takes over and breaks the in situ damming.  Should happen soon on LI.  The 40's are very near when the seed balls start swinging on the Platanus occidentalis tree across the street on a SE wind in these situations.  If today is food store day, wait awhile, it is suppose to be called Stop & Shop... not stop and slide.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/01/portion_of_staten_island_expre.html

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A portion of the Staten Island Expressway is closed on the Brooklyn-bound side to due a multi-vehicle accident caused by icing.

The expressway is closed between the Clove Road/Richmond Road exit (exit 13) and the Hylan Boulevard exit (exit 14).

The FDNY said a six-car accident occurred on the expressway near Richmond Road around 8:55 a.m., but emergency radio transmissions said as many as 10 vehicles spun out or collided in the incident.

One person was injured and taken the Staten Island University Hospital in Ocean Breeze, according to the FDNY. The extent of the injuries wasn't immediately known.

Sanitation Department crews are on the scene to clear the ice.

Suffolk police reported several spinouts on the Long Island Expressway near the Suffolk-Nassau border Sunday morning, and the Port Authority and the Federal Aviation Administration temporarily closed JFK Airport so crews could salt and sand the runways. A Delta Connection flight from Toronto ran into a snowbank after it landed at JFK Sunday morning.

OT: The gfs has that wave before the thaw looking a bit more impressive and colder than before. I could at the very least see some snow for some before it changes over unless things trend a little bit colder. It depends how much of this left over polar air mass sticks around with the wave. 

And this thaw looks very stormy by the way instead of your typically mild and sunny thaw. 

Archived