Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

Yeah...

Im thinking I already have 1"/hr type of stuff here. Can't wait for that other band.

248 AM EST FRI JAN 3 2014

...BAND OF HEAVY SNOW MOVING ACROSS THE NEW YORK CITY METRO EARLY
THIS MORNING...

AT 245 AM NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED A BAND OF
HEAVY SNOW OVER THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA. THE BAND SHOULD
PERSIST THROUGH AROUND 4 AM...GRADUALLY DIMINISHING FROM SOUTHWEST
TO NORTHEAST ACROSS THE AREA. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER
HOUR ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS BAND...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS
POSSIBLE. NEAR WHITE CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY AT TIMES WITH THIS
BAND. PERSONS ARE URGED TO STAY HOME AND AVOID TRAVEL DURING THIS
TIME.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30-40 years ago the city would never close for a storm like this, we've turned into wimps these days or just people looking for a cheap day off...the February 94 storm on Friday the city schools were open and people went nuts over it and ever since that day they've been much more trigger happy to close.

The Blizzard of 1996 changed everything.

One difference though today, temperatures are terribly cold. Although that will also be the case Tuesday morning as well.

JFK's report always kills me.

I have to think we're at the half foot mark now-really piling up outside. But the blowing/drifting is getting worse-some places are almost bare, some have a foot or much more.

Best snow growth of the night ... dendrites look great in the street light.  Winds are howling. 

Look at the radar and the way heavier echoes are rotating in westward, deformation band I'd guess.

Models like the RGEM and the short range HRRR really keyed on this inverted trough feature-that's what I'd guess this is the start of. Models had the heightened QPF max over Long Island and the NJ shore for a while now. It might just hang out overhead and snow itself out-some recent models have suggested that too.

Anyone else hate the new street lights? The snow never shows up as well as the old yellow ones.

Just had a pretty nice gust ..made for near whiteout

Yeah, they put those new ones out here last year. They're white, and they're too dark. Plus they aren't as bright in the cold.

Archived