e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most intense of the night (Forest Hills)... I was just out in it and would estimate around 5", but it was very hard to measure... spectacular scene outside.  One memorable storm.

Its stunning. I just went out Kew Gardens, by you, and this must be what Buffalo is like during an intense squall. maybe 100 ft visibility if that & SN+ and it is sharply colder since start of storm

Guys/girls. No reason to close NYC schools tomorrow. The roads will be almost perfect tomorrow. Remember its just snow....and its not a major snow

30-40 years ago the city would never close for a storm like this, we've turned into wimps these days or just people looking for a cheap day off...the February 94 storm on Friday the city schools were open and people went nuts over it and ever since that day they've been much more trigger happy to close.

Wind is really picking up here now, not sure how it is elsewhere and away from the shore but I'd say we're in blizzard conditions right now. Snow is blowing around like crazy, and the falling snow is I'd say high end moderate.

The wind here is howling, sustained winds probably a bit shy of official blizzard conditions, but 40 MPH gusts, for sure. 

Wind is really picking up here now, not sure how it is elsewhere and away from the shore but I'd say we're in blizzard conditions right now. Snow is blowing around like crazy, and the falling snow is I'd say high end moderate.

I haven't used the "b" word once for this storm until now. You weren't kidding. Visibility is maybe 100 yards..

Is there a reason why those bands aren't hitting the south shore of nassau, specifically the border of nassau and suffolk? Seems as if its disbanding? Been lurking a long time, a new guy at this so sorry if its a stupid question.

Its stunning. I just went out Kew Gardens, by you, and this must be what Buffalo is like during an intense squall. maybe 100 ft visibility if that & SN+ and it is sharply colder since start of storm

I've only lived here for a year and a half and have noted that we rarely jackpot in storms... but we are doing quite well tonight.I will not soon forget this beast.

Guys/girls. No reason to close NYC schools tomorrow. The roads will be almost perfect tomorrow. Remember its just snow....and its not a major snow

Troll.  How often does snow accumulate nearly 100% on the very busy streets of Manhattan and the rest of NYC?  Look at the footage of completely snow covered streets there and realize how unusual that is and realize that that snow isn't going to melt much tomorrow when the sun comes up, even with salt.  It's pretty rare to get 6"+ snow in NYC (could get as much as 8-10" still) with temps falling into the single digits and with subzero wind chills.  Certainly more than enough reasons to close the schools, which will happen. 

I've only lived here for a year and a half and have noted that we rarely jackpot in storms... but we are doing quite well tonight.I will not soon forget this beast.

I hav elived here for 35 years! we rarely jackpot ( Feb 2010 and 96' being rareexceptions) . but this one is a beauty- fierce personality.

This reminds me of the March 8, 2005 storm which was a brief hit for us on its way to walloping NNE and Quebec, but in the few hours it was here the conditions were very intense: 1-2" snow per hour and howling wind. Temps also plummeted into the upper teens in a couple of hours from above freezing. Very similar conditions here now.

I'm planning to. Off work tomorrow. Will be up until morning.

I am too.  Just starting my Chili so I can have a hearty meal after shoveling snow tomorrow in the frigid temperatures.  5.5 degrees here and 4 inches.  I have been most amazed by the temperatures.  Snow has been light to moderate all night but the temp dropping has been amazing.  

Archived