joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, relatively speaking, an inch or two won't make me happy at this point. I really want to break the losing streak. I know this storm won't do it, but I won't be thrilled over pity flakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, high hopes on this one were never warranted. It could surprise with 2-4". It's possible given the setup. I'm at 3.75 on the year. If I get 2" I'm just about halfway to my annual expectations of 12". And it's only the first week of Jan. The best part of submersed expectations is anything on the ground is fine. 

None of that is untrue. That said, each chance of snow is precious around here (they just don't come around that often) and each one that doesn't break our areas ridiculous snowstorm drought is a missed opportunity. Hell, we are only a few weeks from Ian starting his yearly sun angle trolling.

In any event, I wouldn't mind a crazy surprise to our favor for a change.

None of that is untrue. That said, each chance of snow is precious around here (they just don't come around that often) and each one that doesn't break our areas ridiculous snowstorm drought is a missed opportunity. Hell, we are only a few weeks from Ian starting his yearly sun angle trolling.

In any event, I wouldn't mind a crazy surprise to our favor for a change.

I would put the odds of dca-bwi getting 2" at around 25% or so. Matt and co probably think that is way bullish but I can't ignore the vort pass. It's not bad even if the flow is all jacked up in front. That's the only reason though. If trends flatten it over the next couple days then we'll keep doing what we do best. 

As various people have said in one way or another, the less you check the models, the more satisfied you are with the snow you get. For this one, it really was the 12Z run of the Euro yesterday that "messed" people up. 

Timeline for this event so far-

End of last week: Potential exists, but messy

Saturday: Euro run with unlikely evolution brings hope, but everyone knows to temper the hope since we are still a freakin' week away. Mid-day runs already start to go warm/less ideal

Sunday: Solutions start to either warm or go dry  

Monday: We stopped expecting anything with dismal runs for the area- no snow 

Tuesday: 12Z GFS and 12Z Euro throw in the 3"+ numbers into people's heads;for some, the Euro implanted a 4"+ hope

Wednesday (today): Darn hard to get that 4"+ hope from one model run out of weenie's heads. 1-2" would be a disappointment to many now, even though other than yesterday, nothing major ever looked probable, and 1-2" out of this would be a victory. 

I would put the odds of dca-bwi getting 2" at around 25% or so. Matt and co probably think that is way bullish but I can't ignore the vort pass. It's not bad even if the flow is all jacked up in front. That's the only reason though. If trends flatten it over the next couple days then we'll keep doing what we do best. 

I think that is reasonable

Can we go one day without my thread being ruined by snot or poo or phlegm or ear wax or toe jam posts?

Leylands are okay, I guess?  Cool. 

I'm heading out now to do another section of serious trimming so that they don't droop from the 6 - 12" the euro is going to give us this afternoon.  But I'll be checking my phone from 12 feet up so I don't miss out on the free advice that Matt and Ian are offering up to the few pattern thread numbnutzes.

I think that is reasonable

If the euro improves at the surface and ul's from last night then I'll probably start buying into accum snow. If anything, the threat of a total dryslot whiff seems on the decline. And since we get our precip late with the ul energy we are solidly below freezing at the surface. Best snow (whatever that means) falls after dark too.  Hard to get mad at those signs. But we'll see in 45 mins or so. 

If the euro improves at the surface and ul's from last night then I'll probably start buying into accum snow. If anything, the threat of a total dryslot whiff seems on the decline. And since we get our precip late with the ul energy we are solidly below freezing at the surface. Hard to get mad at those signs. But we'll see in 45 mins or so. 

The main plus is it's at night. Sun angle. 

As various people have said in one way or another, the less you check the models, the more satisfied you are with the snow you get. For this one, it really was the 12Z run of the Euro yesterday that "messed" people up. 

Timeline for this event so far-

End of last week: Potential exists, but messy

Saturday: Euro run with unlikely evolution brings hope, but everyone knows to temper the hope since we are still a freakin' week away. Mid-day runs already start to go warm/less ideal

Sunday: Solutions start to either warm or go dry  

Monday: We stopped expecting anything with dismal runs for the area- no snow 

Tuesday: 12Z GFS and 12Z Euro throw in the 3"+ numbers into people's heads;for some, the Euro implanted a 4"+ hope

Wednesday (today): Darn hard to get that 4"+ hope from one model run out of weenie's heads. 1-2" would be a disappointment to many now, even though other than yesterday, nothing major ever looked probable, and 1-2" out of this would be a victory. 

It is Tuesday.

I'm waiting on the 18Z update from snowbong.

If the euro improves at the surface and ul's from last night then I'll probably start buying into accum snow. If anything, the threat of a total dryslot whiff seems on the decline. And since we get our precip late with the ul energy we are solidly below freezing at the surface. Hard to get mad at those signs. But we'll see in 45 mins or so. 

The main plus is it's at night. Sun angle. 

Applause.

Are we talking weather or the whole package?

Better scenery, better snowfall, better summers, better outdoor activities, Boston is nicer than DC or Bmore, imo, etc. 

Negatives would be mud season, 40s in May, no real serious beach season, etc. 

My wife and I agreed a long time ago that if the opportunity ever presents itself to move to Boston, we're out. 

I have no idea what the infatuation with New England is all about.

The B has been sleeping through most of the night recently, so I'm right in the head now.

I'm pretty sure I got maybe 4hrs of sleep last night and most of that was on the couch with K cuddled up in the nook of my arm. Not sure what's going on with her. When down fine at 8, woke up at 11 and it was 2am when I finally gave up and moved her to the couch with me. I'm tired.

Archived