• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Model Suite Discussion Thread Jan. 2nd / 3rd

REDMK6GLI

Euro was not a miss but it trended the wrong way, cutting back amounts. The whole point is the trends are not our friend. Still could get 2-4 in NJ with maybe 3-6 to the north... Or we could just get 1-3.....its a nice event, but people a little nuts expecting this thing to dump a foot or more. Everyone just enjoy what you get. I know I will if its more than 2 inches but less than 4....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forecast will come down to the coastal trough delivering otherwise people are going to be disappointed.

We could see more changes than normal within the last 48 hrs as the axis of best convergence can shift

around quite a bit.

I keep looking at the 500 MB map and say , why are  they  all shooting the max out  east , but ok .

The  Euro control run and the 6z GFS still show a good result .

I can see .50  at 15 to 1   some sounding print out 20 to 1 minus 13 - surface falling though the teens into the single digits

Euro was not a miss but it trended the wrong way, cutting back amounts. The whole point is the trends are not our friend. Still could get 2-4 in NJ with maybe 3-6 to the north... Or we could just get 1-3.....its a nice event, but people a little nuts expecting this thing to dump a foot or more. Everyone just enjoy what you get. I know I will if its more than 2 inches but less than 4....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll obviously take 2-4" but it would be such a waste of time and tracking for another nuisance event. We barely had to track the minor events in the first half of December which produced 2-4/5". It's like expecting a big payoff for all that time and effort only to get a small/insignificant reward. 

I've seen these types of events turn on a dime before and I would exercise caution when making snowfall forecasts. This has high bust potential in both directions. The more amplified solutions aren't totally off the table yet either. You get the idea that small improvements continue to happen at H5 and one model will probably show something huge before all is said and done.

I've seen these types of events turn on a dime before and I would exercise caution when making snowfall forecasts. This has high bust potential in both directions. The more amplified solutions aren't totally off the table yet either. You get the idea that small improvements continue to happen at H5 and one model will probably show something huge before all is said and done.

If the Nam continues trending more amped and digs more, then the end result could be considerably different so you have a point there.

i figured it would jump of the page.

i think it was PB GFI who said that he is surprised by looking at the h5 charts that the low would develop and scoot so far east....same here. Mets, any explanation?

The low is developing in response to the vort over Texas ejecting ahead of the shortwave coming in from the north.

Even though the vort shears out, it's enough to pull the development a little further east than we want.

I think we need more than just small changes before we see something bigger on the progs. We're definitely taking baby steps but a better surface reflection may not be realized until 18z or 0z tonight.

I'll obviously take 2-4" but it would be such a waste of time and tracking for another nuisance event. We barely had to track the minor events in the first half of December which produced 2-4/5". It's like expecting a big payoff for all that time and effort only to get a small/insignificant reward. 

there is nothing wrong with 2-4 inch events...these are the norms...in the 80s and 90s there were years with no snow. Too many people caught up in the idea that every storm has a good shot of bringing a foot..thats not reality. This storm only had a model run or two with a big hit. Everyone ignored the other model runs saying they would come together at the end. Reality is take the 2-4 and run. Too much wishcasting

there is nothing wrong with 2-4 inch events...these are the norms...in the 80s and 90s there were years with no snow. Too many people caught up in the idea that every storm has a good shot of bringing a foot..thats not reality. This storm only had a model run or two with a big hit. Everyone ignored the other model runs saying they would come together at the end. Reality is take the 2-4 and run. Too much wishcasting

Who is going with 2-4? Most mets including NWS is going with 6 plus. Are you taking about the NAM? The 500MB suggests a more dynamic storm.

Archived