joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z Model Suite Discussion Thread Jan. 2nd / 3rd

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whatever reason the NAM is still very progressive and the primary surface low is forming ahead of the trough axis and stringing out the whole solution.  I am not sure I really understand why the low is forming so far east but I am guessing it relates to the fact that the flow is fast and the ridging out west moving east is helping to move the trough without it having a chance to truly amplify until it is too late.

For whatever reason the NAM is still very progressive and the primary surface low is forming ahead of the trough axis and stringing out the whole solution.  I am not sure I really understand why the low is forming so far east but I am guessing it relates to the fact that the flow is fast and the ridging out west moving east is helping to move the trough without it having a chance to truly amplify until it is too late.

At 60hr, there is another strong shortwave entering the pac n/w also.  This probably isn't helping the cause.  Any resemblance of ridging out west has gone by the time our storm is finally coming to fruition.

At 60hr, there is another strong shortwave entering the pac n/w also.  This probably isn't helping the cause.  Any resemblance of ridging out west has gone by the time our storm is finally coming to fruition.

One would think all that energy out west would help hold the ridge in place but it flattens it and acts as a kicker.

Reminder to all the NAM should not be discounted per say but it has not be too accurate lately. Lets all keep that in mind as well. 12z GFS and EURO runs will be pinnacle today.

but it's not like it's been inconsistent... the NAM hasn't really shown a blockbuster solution with this storm unlike, cough cough, the EURO which would show a blizzard one solution and a "mild" 3-6" event the next... just an observation

Simply stated this run was a disaster for nyc and phl. We get caught in the donut hole due to the trof not amplifying enough, the trof remaining positive/neutral tilt, and the energy remaining somewhat unconsolidated. It is the nam outside of its range....lets see what the gfs says. If we see something similar then its time to start worrying.

If the nam showed a blizzard I would toss it, most important today is the gfs and euro holding serve or getting better. I saw posts last night that euro was a miss? What map are you guys reading?

Agree ,  1 . Euro ensembles 2 Euro op  3 GFS enesmbles 4 GFS op  , use NAM SREF inside 48 .

I take em in that order .

Agree ,  1 . Euro ensembles 2 Euro op  3 GFS enesmbles 4 GFS op  , use NAM SREF inside 48 .

I take em in that order .

The forecast will come down to the coastal trough delivering otherwise people are going to be disappointed.

We could see more changes than normal within the last 48 hrs as the axis of best convergence can shift

around quite a bit.

Archived