• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Big Snow Threat Disco Jan2/3

Damage In Tolland

Yeah I must've... but I just saw it on the Wunderground maps and I'd lock that ECM run up in a heartbeat.  Normally I'm very afraid of that low track as the systems are usually more compact... but most of the models have some huge area of circulation and the precip shield is pretty large.  Add in the fact that it shouldn't take much WAA to get it to precipitate with that cold airmass in place, plus the 850/700mb lows seem decently NW, so the surface low track isn't scaring me as much, lol.  Not that any of you really care... just speaking aloud. 

That's why when the GFS came out, I was trying to tell the QPF queens not to worry. With this cold..you'll make the most of the moisture. You won't need a 60kt jet from the SE to get good snows.  That deepening trough tot he SW pumps up enough srly flow in the mid levels to generate nice WAA snows before anything substantial comes. And to be honest....as modeled...I don't see this as something only SNE or NNE centric....this will be a large spatial QPF producer.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much goes without saying the ensemble mean was south, the Euro's Op run was ridiculous with how long it held onto the primary cutting it over the Apps of PA, chances are if you look at the Op run you'd have a coastal developing around the time the primary was at the SW corner of PA, it attempts however to hold onto it til BGM which just never happens...as a result far SNE and my backyard was shafted, my guess is SNE does alot better than the Op showed.

oh i know, just wanted a point of reference to the op. personally i think the euro is a little out of whack as is the gfs. somewhere in between th 2 would be my best quess at this point.

Yeah the ECM was a little odd, and pretty tilted with the SFC low staying southeast, but the mid-level lows are pretty far NW... the H85 low tracks from upstate NY to near BOS which is probably why it is keying in on CNE/NNE more. 

The GFS is a good bit further south with the low/mid level lows.

That's why when the GFS came out, I was trying to tell the QPF queens not to worry. With this cold..you'll make the most of the moisture. You won't need a 60kt jet from the SE to get good snows.  That deepening trough tot he SW pumps up enough srly flow in the mid levels to generate nice WAA snows before anything substantial comes. And to be honest....as modeled...I don't see this as something only SNE or NNE centric....this will be a large spatial QPF producer.

That's my feeling as well after the 00z/12z runs... looks like a widespread moderate snowfall (over long duration) and maybe someone gets lucky and picks up something more significant.

I agree Goose. That primary drilling up NW just seems odd. I'm not the MET so I can't give a reason other than looking at these 500mb images for a few years now. Could it have to do with the southern stream energy?

I guess the only way I see this "cutting" is if this slows down enough such that the confluene over the NE lifts out a bit. Euro mean being S/ SE of OP typically makes one lean away from this but we've seen the Op sometime lead the way. Right now I'd lean on Ensm Mean of Euro/GFS.

Archived