joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little OT, but what I think is an interesting side note to the cold. I have a friend who lives up by the IN/MI state line that loves to ice fish. He has complained for the past couple of years that he couldn't keep long periods of safe ice. This year he quit ice fishing because he's tired of hand auguring holes through 12 - 16" of ice. lol

LOL ...  can't win i guess.

kinda inneresting:

...a Single Mid-Lake Lake Effect Snow Band...

Southwest flow generated a single mid-lake lake effect snow band over Lake Michigan Wednesday Jan 22. This band originated during the early morning hours of Wednesday before finally diminishing during the evening. This lake band enhanced snowfall along the western portions of Beaver Island, which generated 24 inches of snow over a 36 hour period.

kinda inneresting:

...a Single Mid-Lake Lake Effect Snow Band...

Southwest flow generated a single mid-lake lake effect snow band over Lake Michigan Wednesday Jan 22. This band originated during the early morning hours of Wednesday before finally diminishing during the evening. This lake band enhanced snowfall along the western portions of Beaver Island, which generated 24 inches of snow over a 36 hour period.

attachicon.gif155438_578840708857197_398292426_n.png

That is so awesome. I found this eyewall like structure that took place last night over Ontario. Thought it pretty cool.

QSWu1j.gif

Not really happy with the way this pic turned out, but I was trying to show the hardpacked drifts in the alley. the snow along the fences ranges from 9-14" deep, but outside of the several powdery inches on top you walk on as if you are on solid ground. Another one of those days today where the bright white snow offsets the dark gray skies.

3777-800.jpg

Everyone knows you avoid Indiana interstates at all costs. And that's been for over 40 years.

This.

Over 20 accidents in Huntington County alone on I 69. INDOT does not know how to keep the interstates clear. However, I drove US 24 between Huntington and Ft. Wayne today and it was clear and dry, so it can be done.

3rd coldest met. winter to-date at INL and DLH:

So far this winter season (December 1st through January 22nd) of 2013-2014, ranks as the 3rd coldest on record at both International Falls and Duluth. The following is a list of the top 3 coldest winter seasons to date at International Falls and Duluth.

International Falls

1.  -5.5 degrees average temperature from December 1, 1976 through January 22, 1977

2.  -4.8 degrees average temperature from December 1, 1978 through January 22, 1979

3.  -3.5 degrees average temperature from December 1, 2013 through January 22, 2014

Duluth

1. 1.7 degrees average temperature from December 1, 1976 through January 22, 1977

2. 3.1 degrees average temperature from December 1, 1983 through January 22, 1984

3. 4.1 degrees average temperature from December 1, 2013 through January 22, 2014

Going to feel balmy around here on Sunday if the NAM and EURO are correct.

nam_t2m_mw_24.png

SW winds starting to churn across Iowa.

attachicon.gif012414_343z.jpg

That would be a nice break before the big blast Sunday night and beyond.  After this next blast coming in I think I'll be good on my cold weather fix til next winter.  After this let's change this pattern and get some warmer weather in here with hopefully some big dog action.

Down to -8 here.

A friend and I went to the Auto Show today, and we actually parked by Comerica Park and took the People Mover, so I got a few urban winter shots of downtown Detroit (albeit with my cell phone). I spent a lot of time near Comerica Park in the summer...has such a different feel during winter. Was brutally cold with just the slightest breeze downtown. And a RARE break in the cloudcover happened just as sunset approached and we were riding the People Mover, it was an almost surreal scene and I really WISHED I had my regular camera instead of using a phone through a train window.

3778-800.jpg

3779-800.jpg

3780-800.jpg

3781-800.jpg

3782-800.jpg

3783-800.jpg

3784-800.jpg

Archived