• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

My temp at the house never went about 0F today (think it hit -2F or something for a time)...  I did notice my low tunnel (plastic covered small greenhouse thing..about 20ft long/6ft wide) hit near 60F inside there this afternoon....   The furnace actually takes a nice break on these days because we have a lot of south exposure/windows...  This weather isn't bad if you can stay inside!  

Ive been stuck around -10F (depending on my sensor or the airport) all evening...  brutal out there, but light winds help some (at least earlier)..temps should come up overnight. 

I agree.  Lets get this next cold shot through here and usher in a pattern change.  Lets be done with below 0F max temps for a year...lets get a string of 20Fs, maybe some 30Fs...  lets see storm after storm pound Milwaukee with copious amounts of snow :) 

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever snow is on the ground is really blowing around this morning. Very gusty. Grass is showing, and the areas that are covered are packed down very hard. Time for a refresher! (but I don't think we will get a good one, I'm only thinking and inch or 2 over the next few days). Whatever fluff falls will probably be packed/obliterated pretty quickly. The blowing snow looks cool though!

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=99811&source=0

Some very interesting cold/snow stats posted by DTX!

The 30-day period ending January 6th was actually the 4th snowiest 30-day period on record, even trumping out all the heavy snow in recent years. Its also the only year from "modern times" in the top 5.

Snowiest 30-day periods at Detroit:
1.) 45.7" ending 3-5-1900

2.) 44.0" ending 3-23-1900 (included some of the same events as #1)

3.) 40.6" ending 2-25-1908

4.) 37.3" ending 1-6-2014

5.) 35.1" ending 3-11-1875 (*note tho snowfall records dont official become listed until 1880 due to a few months of M data, they were recorded since 1874).

Note: close but no cigar would be 34.9" ending Dec 31, 1974, and 34.6" ending Feb 25, 2011

Also....Detroit has only had 13 winter seasons on record (since 1874-75) to have 10 or more days below zero. With 8 and counting now, this winter should join that elite group, but miss the all time record of 21 days from 1874-75.

We've had at least an inch of snowcover now since the evening of Dec.8th. That's quite amazing. That would be something if we can make it through February with it. The end of February is a long way off but the bottom 6 inches is pure glacier so if we stay in this cold pattern, it's certainly possible.

We've had at least an inch of snowcover now since the evening of Dec.8th. That's quite amazing. That would be something if we can make it through February with it. The end of February is a long way off but the bottom 6 inches is pure glacier so if we stay in this cold pattern, it's certainly possible.

My snowcover looks respectable because of the glacier, the melt that took place is hard to even tell it happened. Most people would think it just wasn't a 20 inch depth ever.

Another brutal day with that wind! DTW reported a peak gust of 44mph, and once again, blowing and drifting snow all day. The drifts are getting quite impressive but at the same time it causes some open areas have grass tips showing. Went to lunch and drove in a semi-open residential area and it was funny as some lawns were blown clean of all but about 1-1.5" of snow while the next door neighbors lawn had probably a foot of snow on it. A lot of roads you cant drive in the right lane from the snow drifting deep up against the snowbanks. Also, the snowbanks are acting as great snow-fences for neatly sculpted drifts, and I saw a few mini snow-tornadoes today. I wish there was a way to calculate windiest Januaries...because Id say this is way up there.

Bring on the fresh snow!

January 2014 will end up colder in Chicago than Nome AK, by far.  

Through 1/23, both places are around 17F for a mean temp...but Chicago will pull away during the last week of the month as Nome torches in the 30s.  Nome is at 64.5 degrees N.   :thumbsup:

Chicago will even come close to Kotzebue, AK...although I think Kotzebue will end up a bit colder.  That town is further north than Nome in W AK...right on the Arctic Circle.

Was -6 just after midnight, but have made it all the way up to 30, and still slowly rising.  Pretty impressive difference compared to last night at this time.  Roads around here are really crapping the bed, with lots of buckled areas and pot holes.  One of the main roads leaving town that was just re-black topped last summer has already went to ****.  Great job security for the road construction peeps.

Was -6 just after midnight, but have made it all the way up to 30, and still slowly rising.  Pretty impressive difference compared to last night at this time.  Roads around here are really crapping the bed, with lots of buckled areas and pot holes.  One of the main roads leaving town that was just re-black topped last summer has already went to ****.  Great job security for the road construction peeps.

Roads up here are all crumbling.  Its to the point where i'm going to take out a bucket of gravel to fill in some of the holes.  i went from -12F at the house to 32F right now...  heat wave.

Roads up here are all crumbling.  Its to the point where i'm going to take out a bucket of gravel to fill in some of the holes.  i went from -12F at the house to 32F right now...  heat wave.

Yeah the roads are frustrating.  You do the best you can to avoid the worst of it, but there's only so much you can do.  My truck only has 30000 miles on it but I'll probably have to replace the whole suspension within the next few years lol.

25° currently. Over performing a bit. Roads are deteriorating quickly too around here. With the longer days and larger swings in temperature from day to night, the potholes will only become more numerous.

Edit: Now 26°. Tomorrow's high is going to be in a couple hours for sure.

Check out the F6 summaries for Alaska so far this month and compare them to the midwest. The cold has left Alaska for the lower 48!

Fairbanks has been running a +14.3 degree departure for January. In fact the high there yesterday was a whopping 45 degrees for a +41 degree departure. Fairbanks has been running 6.2 degrees for the month, in comparison Eau Claire and Wausau, Wisconsin have been running 6.7 and 6.8 degrees respectively. 

Anchorage has been running +11.8 degrees for the month, for an average temperature so far of 28.9 degrees. In comparison Lexington, KY has been running slightly colder than Anchorage with an average of 27.9 degrees.

What a roller coaster ride in the temp department.  Shortly after midnight early yesterday morning it was -6, then rose to the low 30s during the evening.  Today the temp peaked at 35 at 3am, and then fell into the teens for most of the day.  Now this evening we're back down to 3 above.  18hrs from now we could be above freezing again for a short bit, before falling to -10 by the next morning.  Crazy.

Archived