Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that lol!

Like a summer thunderstorm squall line moving through. Nothing close to Sunday night, but nice nonetheless.

Both have been awesome, this one would have been a lot more awesome if it werent right after a literally amazing squall the other night. Still going too, which is pretty impressive.

NWUS53 KDTX 310244
LSRDTX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
944 PM EST THU JAN 30 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0942 PM SNOW ROMULUS 42.22N 83.37W
01/30/2014 M0.8 INCH WAYNE MI OFFICIAL NWS OBS

EVENT TOTAL SNOWFALL THROUGH 930 PM EST AT DETROIT METRO
AIRPORT.

&&

$

BEHNKE

And there you have it, January 2014 now holds a special place in SEMI weather history. We now sit at 39.1".

Im wondering why temperatures rose and held steady after last nights "cold front"? Anyway...I will be making a records thread for Detroit sometime soon.

The front has more or less stalled overhead.

Between WAA kicking in from the next system and the typical daytime heating influences, will probably keep temps from falling much further.

But either way, your snowcover will be fine (worst case scenario, only some of it will be lost). :lol:

post-206-0-42481100-1391180272_thumb.png

Interesting that Saginaw will finish with "only" 15.6" of snow while down here in Detroit we nearly made the 40" mark...in one month.

More tidbits from DTX, apparently our 55.8" of snow so far this season at DTW is the most snow we've ever gotten on record by January 31st and January will end up as the 8th coldest month of all time also at DTW. February looks to get a sort of sloppy and crappy start, but we'll surely get enough snow to stat-pad anyway. :weenie:

Spent a couple hours at the Oakwoods Metropark in Huron Township today (about 2 miles south of DTW) for some much needed "get away" time. Its so nice to get out of the urban jungle and into some peace, quiet, and wilderness ala up north. It actually reminded me of my hiking trips up north, in that when you walk on the matted down trail, you dont realize how deep the snow is til you venture off path. The snow was deep and very dense because of its multiple layers. I used my snow stick as a walking stick to navigate the landscape, so of course I measured too :lol:. Depth ranged from 5-18" but was mostly in the 8-14" range. Not quite as drifty with all the trees. Slate gray sky, mild temps..perfect day for a winter hike.

3811-800.jpg

3812-800.jpg

3813-800.jpg

3814-800.jpg

3815-800.jpg

3816-800.jpg

3817-800.jpg

3818-800.jpg

3819-800.jpg

3820-800.jpg

Great pictures Freak!

Hope to get some good ones tomorrow, but those will be in the storm thread or February thread.

Has made it up to about 21° so far today. At times I could see the sun through the mid level clouds. 

Month will be -9° and change from normal.

Great pictures Freak!

Hope to get some good ones tomorrow, but those will be in the storm thread of February thread.

Has made it up to about 21° so far today. At times I could see the sun through the mid level clouds. 

Month will be -9° and change from normal.

thanks :) Yup..last day of a historic month was dry, calm, and quiet. Picturing a slush fest here tomorrow, cant win em all.

Archived