• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 General Discussion

Powerball

Check out the F6 summaries for Alaska so far this month and compare them to the midwest. The cold has left Alaska for the lower 48!

Fairbanks has been running a +14.3 degree departure for January. In fact the high there yesterday was a whopping 45 degrees for a +41 degree departure. Fairbanks has been running 6.2 degrees for the month, in comparison Eau Claire and Wausau, Wisconsin have been running 6.7 and 6.8 degrees respectively. 

Anchorage has been running +11.8 degrees for the month, for an average temperature so far of 28.9 degrees. In comparison Lexington, KY has been running slightly colder than Anchorage with an average of 27.9 degrees.

JB posted a map of the 1977 arctic outbreak and it was actually warmer in Alaska during that outbreak.

Makes sense, 2011-2012 was a furnace here, while Alaska set cold records.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through January 25 this is Duluth's second coldest meteorological winter on record.

1. 2.7 degrees average temperature from December 1, 1976 through January 25, 1977

2. 3.9 degrees average temperature from December 1,  2013 through January 25, 2014

I posted this in the ongoing clippers thread, but its probably more pertinent in the January thread.

Picked up 2.6" of snow today, im now at 35.0" in January and 51.9" on the season. My previous snowiest month on record was 31.8" in Feb 2011, and I have been recording snow since Fall 1995.

Some official numbers...

Detroit picked up 2.7" today, further increasing the snowiest January on record, monthly total now 34.6" and the season total 51.3". We are now just 0.4" away from surpassing Dec 1974 and becoming the 2nd snowiest month on record! As a side note, Detroit is already tied for 29th snowiest winter on record, and today is exactly the halfway point in the snow season, statistically speaking.

Flint picked up 2.1" today, so they too increased their snowiest January on record, monthly total now 31.6" and season total 50.1".

Toledo, OH picked up 2.5" today, so they are incredibly at 38.9" in January, over 8" higher than their previous snowiest MONTH on record! They are at 50.6" on the season, which ALREADY places them at their 13th snowiest winter to go, and we are just at the halfway mark.

Had some drifting over night, but not enough to block the driveway or anything. Hope everyone stays safe out there today.

It's nice that sunset is at about 5pm now. Don't have to drive to or from work in the dark anymore.

Had some drifting over night, but not enough to block the driveway or anything. Hope everyone stays safe out there today.

It's nice that sunset is at about 5pm now. Don't have to drive to or from work in the dark anymore.

few more years and you will be a cromartie...  dam you're getting Pillsbury Doughboy soft on us.

few more years and you will be a cromartie...  dam you're getting Pillsbury Doughboy soft on us.

Little under the weather today with a cold, so that's why I've probably "sounded" different.

The shortest days are a drag, especially with more cloudy than not cloudy days this month. Don't worry, I'm not going to try to grow palm trees in my yard! :lmao:

Drive in this morning was a piece of cake. 

Awesome shot Gilbert. Looks like mini ice trees or fern fronds actually.

O yeah, Day 50 of snow cover. 60 looks like a lock.

Hope you kick that cold fast.. colds are a drag for sure and there is lots of crap going around this winter..  I love me clouds and short days starting in fall.  I get enough sun and daylight 9 months of the yr to get my vitamin d and skin cancer fix in. 

Really bummed about the blowing snow bust. I figured for sure the drive would be blown over in a few feet but only have a few narrow 8" streamers.

Loving the snow cover streak..  It's been since I don't know when that we've come close to a wall to wall met winter snow cover winter as this one is shaping up to have been if we can ride out a cold feb.

Zone forecast for Orleans Parish. Pretty awesome. Low 20's for Wednesday morning is pretty boss that far south (record mins for NOLA for Jan 28-29 are 26º and 23º, respectively).

Tuesday: Much colder. Light freezing rain and light rain likely in the morning...then light rain and light freezing rain in the afternoon. Ice accumulation of less than one quarter of an inch. Highs in the mid 30s. North winds 20 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. 

Tuesday Night: Windy. Light freezing rain and very light sleet in the evening...then light freezing rain...light sleet and snow likely after midnight. Light snow accumulations. Ice accumulation of less than one quarter of an inch. Lows in the lower 20s. North winds 20 to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Wind chill readings 7 to 17. 

Wednesday: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of light freezing rain and light sleet in the morning. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 8 to 18 in the morning.

About 10" of snow on the ground here.  The bottom 2-3" is solid ice, as it's been there since Dec 8th.  With more cold, and eventually more snow on the way later this week we look to keep the deep snow cover well into Feb.

didn't realize you were dd packing it...  Not to shabby at all considering...  Just got to work on a biggie for you.. I'd love to see you and frankie tank legs go milwaukee bucks style tanking it and get your both well deserved foot+ storm. Sheet we have to get hawkeye in on it too.

Not sure this is the best place to ask but wondering where I can find statistical data on low temperatures for the Peoria, IL area.  I got into an argument with someone last week saying they should be prepared to deal with subzero temperatures here.  I would like to find some data that shows that we have say and 80% chance of having temperatures below -5% at some point during the winter.

Not sure this is the best place to ask but wondering where I can find statistical data on low temperatures for the Peoria, IL area.  I got into an argument with someone last week saying they should be prepared to deal with subzero temperatures here.  I would like to find some data that shows that we have say and 80% chance of having temperatures below -5% at some point during the winter.

Midwest Regional Climate center is your best bet (use the cli-MATE button near the top of the front page). http://mrcc.isws.illinois.edu 

You have to register for the cli-MATE section, but it's free. It has threshold capabilities for several categories, for locations all over the USA. 

Archived