• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

The thing is the surface isn't cold, it's right around freezing after a couple days above...it's a marginal ice setup at best. Especially when the mid level warm layer is going to be hella robust.

Think you're downplaying the ice threat a bit too much generally speaking.  Mid levels do torch in some areas but you still gotta respect the E/NE low level flow that will be locked in.  I think it will be significant...exactly where and exactly how significant are questions. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current plan is to leave at 5:00 pm or so on Saturday - scheduled to work tomorrow night... need time to get some ZZZZZs before hitting the road.... 

Just saw some maps showing ice in the northern suburbs of DTW... which makes me nervous... 

It's definitely something to watch.  Lots of model changes between now and then.  Friday night / Saturday morning there should be a better handle on this area.  Right now it just keep flopping.

Think you're downplaying the ice threat a bit too much generally speaking.  Mid levels do torch in some areas but you still gotta respect the E/NE low level flow that will be locked in.  I think it will be significant...exactly where and exactly how significant are questions. 

maybe and this thing keeps morphing so it's hard to confifent but I just don't see the low level flow being strong enough

The models still want to ruin Xmas with a devastating ice storm for Toronto :-( Can't wait for my candlelit Xmas dinner with non perishables on the menu....

I mean no offence, but you seem to be freaking out more than the rest of us Toronto posters about the possibility of ice. Relax, and enjoy the storm. Statistically, the chances of Toronto getting anything like January 1998 in Montreal are slim. We just don't have the topography to support prolonged ice.

I mean no offence, but you seem to be freaking out more than the rest of us Toronto posters about the possibility of ice. Relax, and enjoy the storm. Statistically, the chances of Toronto getting anything like January 1998 in Montreal are slim. We just don't have the topography to support prolonged ice.

Models seem to be hinting at this regardless of Topography.

Well it sure seems like perhaps that energy on the West coast finally getting a good sampling is starting to allow things to fall into place in terms of track, strength, moisture, etc....  All the 12Z models are painting a similar picturel...now we'll have to see what the Euro does here...to me that will be critical...does it play ball with these other models and shift to what seems to be the consensus starting to develop again?  Or does it remain a lone gun further W?  We'll see.  I still suspect most of the NWS offices will want to see at least one more consistent model suite at 0Z tonight before hoisting any sort of watches...they could probably even get away with not putting anything out until Friday morning but I think the time is drawing closer. 

I guess in IL i'd be hoisting something generally NW of a line from about Kankakee to Quincy, probably a lot of lower Michigan if not all of it due to the potential of icing/heavy snow, probably SE of a line from roughly Prairie Du Chien to just South of Green Bay, in Iowa I think I'd be highlighting areas SE of a line from about Council Bluffs-Des Moines-Decorah. 

We have the SE correction so lets see if it holds at this point, watch the trends on temps at surface and aloft, and trends on cold sector precip. 

I will be watching to see what the models do at 0z today...by then the speed max and low on the West coast should have decent sampling, but the Northern stream portion is still going to go largely unsampled...that is still going to wreak some havoc probably until Friday evening I'd guess.  STL saying not until Saturday morning is certainly plausible too.  Basically the snow threat is gone from Lansing-Chicago-Quincy-Tulsa OK and points to the East except for a bit of backend light stuff.  However if the models guesses are wrong compared to what actually gets sampled this thing could shift 100 miles East or West still.  I still expect some wild swings on this in the next 24 hours.  These SW systems, which most of our big Winter storms are, are very fickle and usually hold some surprises. 

Well said.  

GGEM backed off slightly again on YYZ ice accums (now in the 20-25mm range). Two runs in a row now, but overall still consistent with its placement of ZR.

This could be our saving grace with more ice pellets on this run (5-10 mm range). Let's hope this trend continues. And if I were a betting man, models will trend colder with the thermals (more IP or even some SN and less ZR) once the northern piece of energy is sampled fully.

Archived